Question about amps for the Stax SR-009
Nov 15, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #526 of 883
  Hey congrats! I think you're definitely making the right decision. 
beerchug.gif

For the DAC discussion going on here, I've found the SR-009s very picky of DACs...more so than any other headphone I've owned.

That's very true given the transparency nature of the SR-009.  
  Thanks for your advice. I chose the Alps RK50 potentiometer, do you think is that okay? My DAC is  Audiolab 8200CD,  what do you think of this? thank you very much again

RK50 is a great choice, mine has one too.  It is an absolute dream to operate as it should be for the price tag of 1k.  Don't worry about the DAC yet, you will have a lot of fun time testing out DACs given the very revealing nature of the system.  May I suggest giving the NAD M51 a try?

Nov 15, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #527 of 883
David, we can keep playing the source vs. headphone argument all day long without resolving anything but if I may recommend: don't hesitate to sample other players in the same price range as the k01 before you decide to get rid of the 009.

I say this from recent personal experience with such a source: TotalDAC D1 ( there's a silver version BTW
wink.gif
). It brought so much more to my rig than swapping from my 727 amp to higher end model (which shall remain unnamed but suffice to say, it's considered as high caliber stat amp by some).

So today, when considering the priorities in terms of gear upstream of the 009, I will confidently say you're better off spending 10k on the source (not all 10kusd sources are great mind you) and 2k on the amp than the other way around.

Coincidence?

How curious.
I just have a amplifier at only 2 K Euros (RKV Audiovalve mk2) directly connected to the Stax 009 (Wee transformers shunted) and a 10 K Euros DAC (Audiomat Maestro Reference), and I reached, it seems to me, at the top of the audio reproduction.
Nothing more to upgrade my audio system now.

Now, my money is used for other projects : high performance bike (against the clock) 
wink.gif

Nov 15, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #528 of 883
  Thanks for your advice. I chose the Alps RK50 potentiometer, do you think is that okay? My DAC is  Audiolab 8200CD,  what do you think of this? thank you very much again

Honestly...first get the SR009/BHSE and see how you like them with your DAC. If it sounds good, then it is good. If not, then worry about it then.

Congrats!

Nov 16, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #530 of 883
The Alps pot is an excellent choice. I have no regrets paying the asking price..

Knowing that makes me feel calm, because paying $ 1,000 for a potentiometer ... That scares me a little.  Thanks a lot tiga3mata
  Honestly...first get the SR009/BHSE and see how you like them with your DAC. If it sounds good, then it is good. If not, then worry about it then.

Congrats!

That's a good idea, thanks 

Nov 16, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #531 of 883
>>Honestly...first get the SR009/BHSE and see how you like them with your DAC. If it sounds good, then it is good. If not, then worry about it then.

+1

this is the advice given to me by some of the peoples i trusted in this hobby. Alas, I didnt adhere to it thinking a totl amp and headphone needs a totl dac too. After wasting around 6k on 2 dac, I still returned to the dac that I originally used. This DAC totally trumps the 2 DAC I bought on my system.....

Nov 18, 2013 at 5:29 AM Post #532 of 883
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/newestpost/679157

Dear folks: excuse me once again for my doubts.  I've found this opportunity. Do you think that is worth? or is better to go directly for BHSE

Thanks

Nov 18, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #533 of 883

Dear folks: excuse me once again for my doubts.  I've found this opportunity. Do you think that is worth? or is better to go directly for BHSE

Thanks

I think others have already suggested why not try the BHSE and if it doesn't satisfy try another. I don't think you'll have any problems selling the BHSE if you don't find it suitable.

Personally for me I've not tried the BHSE but have tried the LL2 last month and am currently listening to Electra as I type this post. I'm happy with either of those (well the Electra is mine now). This Sunday I'm hoping to head to a friend's place and have the Electra side-by-side with the LL2 for a more direct comparison.

Nov 18, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #534 of 883

I think others have already suggested why not try the BHSE and if it doesn't satisfy try another. I don't think you'll have any problems selling the BHSE if you don't find it suitable.

Personally for me I've not tried the BHSE but have tried the LL2 last month and am currently listening to Electra as I type this post. I'm happy with either of those (well the Electra is mine now). This Sunday I'm hoping to head to a friend's place and have the Electra side-by-side with the LL2 for a more direct comparison.

This would be very interesting. 

Nov 21, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #535 of 883

Thanks

I suggest you go with the BHSE with a match Quad of Mullard XF2 or XF4.  The combo is excellent in all respects.  I originally tried the Shuguang Treasure 6CA7s and thought it was already superb, but the BHSE+SR009 went up another notch in dynamics and overall sound quality with the vintage NOS Mullard tubes.  If you have experienced and handy with electronic projects, I suggest you build the Stax DIY T2 and never look back.  

Congrats on landing the Electra.  Hope you find it to your liking so far.  You should really tried the BHSE when you get a chance.  It is highly recommended.

Nov 28, 2013 at 2:52 AM Post #537 of 883

My little finger told me that your friend loved the Electra with the 009, much better than the SRM 727 and LL2 he did not know to decide the preference. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 28, 2013 at 4:33 AM Post #539 of 883
Eric, have you been talking to superfred :wink:? Well let m compose my thoughts and write a little out tonight. I'm actually on holiday in a different country at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back