quality iems with proven mic
Apr 24, 2012 at 11:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

slarteebartfast

New Head-Fier
i have a friend who believes that her blue tooth will give her brain cancer, so she is looking to get a pair of iems which she can use instead.  she will be using them for work, and quite extensively, so her main priority is getting a pair which has a mic that will sound as good as possible.  and she just got a droid 3, so they must be compatible with android devices.  personally i have had some issues with iems which claim android compatibility but in practice just basically suck, such as those on monster products.  so if anybody has first hand experience with quality mics with android devices, your input would be appreciated.

but now the fun part.  she has put her budget at "whatever it takes, and not something crappy".  she is willing to spend upwards of several hundred dollars, because she also appreciates good sounding earphones and the integrity of a quality item.  unfortunately is also appears that the higher end iems are made as listening devices only and don't really come with mics.  what i personally have experience with is the shure attachable mic cable, which i use with my 215s and which works great.  but with shure aside, or perhaps not, does anybody else have any thoughts something which will fit her needs?  i was thinking maybe westone ts1...

Apr 27, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #3 of 15
Can't say I'm much of an expert, as at the moment I also am using the Shure SE215's with the Music + cable, but in the past I've used the Ultimate Ears SF5/Logitech 600vi's with the inline mic and felt that it gave me the best in-call quality (for the person on the other side) compared to my Shures, Klipsch S4i's, MEElectronic CC51's, Maximo HS5 iMetals (this was very good too, but the overall headset was unreliable), I havent tried the Westone combo personally, but just make sure she won't be using it with an iphone 4 or 4s as westone reports some people saing there is a echo effect with that combination

I would think a Triple.Fi 10 plus mic cable combination would be a great sounding combination, but the Shure (SE215, SE425 or SE535, but not SE315..that 'phone is terrible) or Westone combinations with the EPIC MICS cable (UM3X RC or W4) should be more comfortable for longer hour sessions. 

Apr 27, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #5 of 15
Westone now has this cable with microphone and single button remote.

Jun 6, 2012 at 5:51 AM Post #8 of 15
I think Klipsh S4i might be a nice choice. It has very nice sound while staying within a decent price range. This way you're not going for something cheap but a mid tier IEM so you won't break the budget meeting half way from a spending perspective. Something nice, not to over the top but not tatty either. If you want to go higher then I'd recommend the TF10, but make sure she try's them on first and checks them out in the mirror! They have a real Frankenstein bolts appeal to them!

Jun 8, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #10 of 15
Hope you've noticed the several rave reviews for the MEElec A161P.

Jun 8, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #11 of 15
I know this thread is about 3 months old, but I think some of this info may be of use...  Bluetooth does not cause brain cancer...  I have no clue why people think it does.  Bluetooth runs at the same frequency as WiFi (reason why many WiFi chips double as bluetooth chips as well).  Bluetooth and WiFi alike both run at the same frequency a microwave would.  Microwaves are actually quite week and don't harm, it's a myth that they do.  So don't be afraid of Bluetooth.

I will give you a reason to choose hard-wire over Bluetooth though, quality.  Sound quality is basically better overall.

Take a look at any of the following IEMs that have good sound:
  1. Phonak PFE (ranges in sound) 022-122 (or 132) have a remote and mic.  Their signatures range from balanced to more analytical.
  2. Phonak PFE 232 have a V shaped signature
  3. Etymotic has already been said, it's analytic.
  4. MEE A161 is a warm and sweet signature
  5. Any of the Westone headphones with a removable cable can be mic'd with the new EPIC MICs cable.
  6. UE has a bunch of IEMs with remote and mic...  They range from balanced to warm, to bass-heavy, to deep V shaped.
  7. There are lots more as well :p

Jun 8, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #13 of 15
thanks guys for all of your suggestions.  i will surely look into them.  and as far as the brain cancer thing is concerned, she is one of those who would rather be paranoid about things of which we really know nothing as they haven't been around long enough for us to really see what any effects may be.  personally i think its a little silly on her part, but oh well, its what the lady believes.  

Jun 8, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:
thanks guys for all of your suggestions.  i will surely look into them.  and as far as the brain cancer thing is concerned, she is one of those who would rather be paranoid about things of which we really know nothing as they haven't been around long enough for us to really see what any effects may be.  personally i think its a little silly on her part, but oh well, its what the lady believes.  

Microwaves are all around us, so we do know about it :p  If microwaves were really that bad for us, we'd all be dead right now.  Well, I guess I'll let her believe what she wants :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back