Quality Headphones for 200$ or Under.
Sep 5, 2012 at 10:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Hiccups

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi-er's, I am on the hunt for a new pair of cans, and have researched and researched for days to discover my audio needs based on where I am and what I listen to. I travel to and from school a lot, so home and school almost all the time, with extended listening periods for hours.

The places:
-School, in the computer lab.
-Home, a very small home.
-Study sessions at local barnes n' noble-type places.

The sources:
-Macbook Pro 2.53 Ghz Intel core 2 Duo
-Ipod classic 6th gen.
-Random Pc's in the lab.

Amps:
-Fiio E7

Current Earbuds/Headphones:
-Beyer Dynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohms
-Klipsch Image S4

Music:
-Cochise by Audio Slave
-Just Be Friends by Luka
-Brazil 2nd Edit by Deadmau5
-Empire Ants by Gorillaz
-Meant to Live by Switchfoot.
-Ocean by John Butler Trio.
-Hide and Seek by Imogen Heap
-Learn to Fly by Foo Fighters
-Mostly alternative rock, indie, j-pop, hip hop, house techno, +lots of others.

I'm looking for immersive sound, no leakage. I can't afford to have others around me hearing what I'm listening to. These Beyers have done very well, especially after amping them with E7 and my macbook.
Then again, the little klipsch earbuds have done a stellar job as well, very vibrant and makes the music so clear. So clear and bassy on both really, but sometimes it seems like the klipsch may even sound better.

Prospects:
V-Moda crossfade M-80 (noise isolating... :D)
Sennheiser HD-280 Pro
UltraSone Hfi 780
Krkkns8400 Shure
Audio technica ATH M-50 (look really sturdy...)
Higher ohm beyers..?
Grado has too much leakage, although they sounded very good.

Maybe even over 200$, if they're really worth it.

I look forward to your responses :)

Sep 5, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #3 of 18
Have you considered the Senn HD25-1 II?

Sep 5, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #4 of 18
@[size=medium]GL1TCH3D[/size] :post-rock, alternative rock, jpop, hip-hop, indie, techno/house, pop, and heckuva lot of others, very varied.
As far as sound signature, I'm not exactly what I want because I don't know how it works, like could you explain "signature?"

@[size=medium]Eargasmo[/size] I have considered These headphones before, haven't received any rep from other's beside internet sources. Haven't gotten enough information to be clear on the sound quality of these. Could you rep them from your personal experience? 

Sep 6, 2012 at 3:18 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:
@[size=medium]GL1TCH3D[/size] :post-rock, alternative rock, jpop, hip-hop, indie, techno/house, pop, and heckuva lot of others, very varied.
As far as sound signature, I'm not exactly what I want because I don't know how it works, like could you explain "signature?"

@[size=medium]Eargasmo[/size] I have considered These headphones before, haven't received any rep from other's beside internet sources. Haven't gotten enough information to be clear on the sound quality of these. Could you rep them from your personal experience? 

As I personally only listened to them briefly, I will defer my impressions of the HD25-1 II to the following link:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-hd-25-1-ii-professional-headphone/reviews

I'm a huge fan of big soundstages, so I personally skipped the HD25-1 II and held onto my MDRV6 until I saw the K550s came out.  I don't mind a big set of cans for a long plane ride, and that is when I generally listen to closed cans.  I usually listen to open-air cans at home.  So to put it succinctly, the HD25-1 II didn't actually suit my listening preferences.  They have amazing sound quality, but the soundstage was a detraction for me.

Sep 6, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #6 of 18
hey dont wanna hijack, just wanna tag along..
also looking for phones </= 200.. preferably around 150 though..
for use in a variety of situations.. listening to electronic, rock, chilled out tracks
over ear phones..
from testing some other people gear and my own, I like a bit warmer phones with good controlled bass with a nice kick..
currently own hippo VB and TF10, running off a zune and a fiio e6
really looking at the ath-m50s they seem to have a big following.

cheers :)

maby these http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-hm5-studio-monitor-headphones

Sep 6, 2012 at 4:36 AM Post #7 of 18
You generally will have a limited soundstage with closed cans. I see you already own the Beyer 770's. The M-50's are nice but I like the 770's more. I'd stay away from the Audio-Technica ATH- Pro700MKll. They are super heavy with muddy bass and probably sound a lot like Beats (although I've never heard Beats).

Sep 6, 2012 at 4:59 AM Post #9 of 18
The Beyer 880 250 and 600 Ohm are nice but don't isolate as well as the 770.

Sep 6, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #10 of 18
Heya,

You're not going to find something better in a full size closed back well-isolating headphone than the DT770 really. You'll find things with different signature sound, but not necessarily better. If you want even more isolation, the Brainwavz HM5 is a good choice, but it's a little more neutral than the DT770, but it too responds well to the E7 and it's built in ability to enhance bass hardware wise. For your budget range, the only way to truly get superior quality sound and superior isolation, IEM's are the only way to really do that, again, at this budget range. Your current budget range is essentially the same as what you already have. And what you have seems to be working well and pleases you (ie, the DT770), so why change that? Simply bored? Reading too much Head-Fi has you thinking you need more headphones every week? Joking, but then again, kind of serious on that last one...

Very best,

Sep 6, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #11 of 18
@[size=medium]Eargasmo[/size] The K550's do look very very promising. and MASSIVE. Haha, They would have to be packaged well inside my backpack, or hang well around my neck. I would have to hear them hands on to see what this broader soundstage is really like, and to justify the price as well. You have a very good insight into what you like audio wise, I can tell from your wording.

[size=medium]@[/size][size=medium]MalVeauX [/size]Once again another awesome post man, you helped me out alot last time with my E7. Yes I am very much pleased with my current setup, it works great using klipsch earbuds for school and beyers at home. I love it, honestly. Seeing the Denon's, upper sennheisers, advertisements and more sucks me in to thinking there are more wonderful audio experiences out there. Can't help but get insanely curious, you know what I mean?

Overall, really helpful guys. Aquiring more knowledge all the time thanks to y'all.

Also, why is my text highlighted like this....

Sep 6, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #12 of 18
LMAO, they are massive, but they fold DJ style with earcups down.  so they fit perfectly in:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005O93P9K/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

mind you, that is a pretty big case, but relatively flat and protective.  So I don't mind stuffing it into my backpack/carry-on.

And definitely recommend trying them out first.  Especially considering how finicky/difficult they can be, fit-wise.

Sep 7, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #13 of 18
Right on. So i'm guessing to really change the game as far as quality goes, it requires a higher budget, correct?

Such as:

[size=1.7em] Klipsch Mode M40[/size]

A little gaudy, but look like they have great functionality and build. What do you guys think?

Sep 7, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:
Right on. So i'm guessing to really change the game as far as quality goes, it requires a higher budget, correct?

Such as:

[size=1.7em] Klipsch Mode M40[/size]

A little gaudy, but look like they have great functionality and build. What do you guys think?

Not necessarily.  For me, it did require a $300 purchase because closed/isolating don't usually come with a big sound stage.

In your original post, you mentioned two things that strike a bell: 1) you want immersion; 2) s4s some times outperform your 770s.

I'll address immersion first.  Immersion is one of those nebulous terms, with a lot of subjectivity.  But generally on head-fi, people mean puts you smack dab in the middle of the soundstage.    If that is how you mean it, then the K550 has exactly that type of "'immersion".  The K550s don't put the music in your head, they put your head in the music.  And what a nice big soundstage it is.

Your other statement, s4s sometimes outperform your 770s.  Generally, people who like s4s are people who like a pronounced V signature.  The highs were too sibilant for me.  The bass was good, but the mids were meh.  So if you like that pronounced V sig, then the K550s would probably not be for you.  They are more or less a balanced pair of headphones.

So you need an isolating, V sig with pronounced highs, that puts you inside the soundstage.

My only question would be, how big a soundstage do you like?

Sep 8, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #15 of 18
Haha thanks for clarifying what I like, I don't know how to phrase it myself. I love a big soundstage, ever since I heard music starting to "seperate" and go outside my head like it does, I was blown away. My beyer's are closed and all, yet I still imagine the sounds coming from outside my head in a way. I love it. I do also like the "rock" EQ setting on iTunes, which is shaped like a V...that explains it.
One of my favorite rock songs of all time, Rise above this by Seether, Sounds incredible on my Beyer's. EQ'd or not.

The Isolation is a must, and a big soundstage is so enjoyable, so I am not sure how far I can get if these two factors will fight each other...right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back