QUAD ERA-1 Thread
Oct 18, 2018 at 10:19 PM Post #121 of 2,247
I'll post more, but for the time being, think perhaps of an LCD-2or 2C, but less thick, a bit more airy and lighter, which also means the lower bass is more lightweight as well. Still a tendency to warmth but not thickness. A smaller footprint if you will. There is a suckout in the upper mid/lower treble (common with planars) which tends to make things sound a bit dry in that area, but also allows a smooth bass/lower mid/midrange and less danger of painful sibilants. The downside is that cymbals and other high frequency information can sound somewhat muted.

See, transferring what I hear into sentences is not always easy..

Oct 18, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #122 of 2,247
I'll post more, but for the time being, think perhaps of an LCD-2or 2C, but less thick, a bit more airy and lighter, which also means the lower bass is more lightweight as well. Still a tendency to warmth but not thickness. A smaller footprint if you will. There is a suckout in the upper mid/lower treble (common with planars) which tends to make things sound a bit dry in that area, but also allows a smooth bass/lower mid/midrange and less danger of painful sibilants. The downside is that cymbals and other high frequency information can sound somewhat muted.

I thought you did well. I get what you’re saying. Thanks for the comparisons.

Oct 18, 2018 at 11:23 PM Post #123 of 2,247

Overall do you prefer the 2C or the ERA-1 more for listening? I know thats a bit of a hard question!

Oct 19, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #124 of 2,247

mmm, interesting but a bit like a sentence missing the rest of the paragraph. What set up did you use in reaching this conclusion?

Oct 19, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #125 of 2,247
Overall do you prefer the 2C or the ERA-1 more for listening? I know thats a bit of a hard question!
I don't prefer anything. It's whether or not a particular headphone prefers me. :grin:

I look at headphones as a variety of delicious flavors. And that's a big expensive problem.

Oct 19, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #126 of 2,247
I don't prefer anything. It's whether or not a particular headphone prefers me. :grin:

I look at headphones as a variety of delicious flavors. And that's a big expensive problem.
It can also be like buying a $500 Takahashi eyepiece and blaming chromatic aberration on it instead of the $200 telescope you put it in... 30 years of the hobby
has taught me to ignore out of context evaluations.

Oct 19, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #128 of 2,247
Oct 19, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #129 of 2,247
Suspiciously similar looking. Grill is only slightly different.

To me it looks kind of obvious they are the same, they even share the same specs.
And on Yogada's website there is even a service called:
yogada.jpg

So no problem customizing the OEMs for mass production.
Still for now QUAD is the only way to get them here.

Oct 19, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #130 of 2,247
Suspiciously similar looking. Grill is only slightly different.

If you look at the Quad integrated amps they are mechanically IDENTICAL to the Peachtree amps. Someone told me 'well, Quad owns the factory where they're made so they decided to knock some out for themselves'. Don't know how true that is, but it is indisputable that the Quads amp are the same as the Peachtree (at least physically).

Oct 19, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #132 of 2,247
I'm quite disappointed if over 80 years old company like quad has diminished to a level where instead of doing their own thing they just rebrand and partly redesign taiwanese headphones. It's just sad.

Nothing wrong with yoga itself. Great oem. I've had three headphones that are built by them. All really good.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #133 of 2,247
I'm quite disappointed if over 80 years old company like quad has diminished to a level where instead of doing their own thing they just rebrand and partly redesign taiwanese headphones. It's just sad.
So you'd rather they design something similar from scratch with full r&d, and charge $1500 for it instead?

Oct 19, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #134 of 2,247
Why would it have to cost $1500? Did headphone engineers get a 500% raise during recession or something? If a company with allready established distribution line, marketing, tech, factory contracts etc can't come up with anything else than rebranding taiwanese headphones then yeah... I think they should have done r&d and sell it for more. Whats next: sennheiser hd900 50 years of german engineering, now build and designed by shenzhen electronics xingdao? Maybe those guys could build a successor for beyerdynamic t1 too.

Oct 19, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #135 of 2,247
You're must be new here, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back