QUAD ERA-1 Thread
Mar 23, 2024 at 3:12 PM Post #2,236 of 2,247
I wanted to share with you all that the LTA MZ2 amp breathed some no life in my Quad ERA-1s! It’s a really good pairing which is capable of producing holographic imaging on tracks where the spatial information is there.

I’d been using my Quads with some budget solid state desktop amps and pretty much lost interest in them, to the point that I was considering selling them. I read somewhere that they pair great with a Woo WA22, which I don’t own, but it got me curious about trying them with tube amps. I tried them first with a Woo WA3, which didn’t supply the current to make them come alive. Then I tried the LTA MZ2, and it was magic!

Linear Tube Audio MZ2 ZOTL?​

Mar 23, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #2,237 of 2,247
Apr 1, 2024 at 1:35 PM Post #2,239 of 2,247
As usual, at least to me. ^^

Enjoy the sound. :)

Apr 6, 2024 at 4:18 AM Post #2,240 of 2,247
I had the opportunity to try the Quad Era for a couple of hours at my friend's house, I was really impressed by the slam, by the softness and lushness of the mids, I have a focal utopia and I must say that beyond the detail of the presentation and separation of instruments I found the Era-1 to be complementary to a different but more exciting listening experience! I had the HE6 in the past and now I would be very curious about the comparison! The Era-1 guys! beat like hell! It's very engaging to listen to! It seems to hit more than HE6! Of Utopia for sure, and this is incredible considering that it is a magnetoplanar againt a dynamic! One thing I've noticed is that it's really difficult to make it sound good, you can make it sound loud with little but to make it shine you need a lot of power, the correct combination scales immensely!

Apr 20, 2024 at 3:41 AM Post #2,241 of 2,247
Let's finally unveil the driver, curiosity got the upper hand😄

Attachments

• IMG_3750.jpeg
    IMG_3750.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3801.jpeg
    IMG_3801.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Apr 20, 2024 at 3:15 PM Post #2,245 of 2,247
I had the opportunity to try the Quad Era for a couple of hours at my friend's house, I was really impressed by the slam, by the softness and lushness of the mids, I have a focal utopia and I must say that beyond the detail of the presentation and separation of instruments I found the Era-1 to be complementary to a different but more exciting listening experience! I had the HE6 in the past and now I would be very curious about the comparison! The Era-1 guys! beat like hell! It's very engaging to listen to! It seems to hit more than HE6! Of Utopia for sure, and this is incredible considering that it is a magnetoplanar againt a dynamic! One thing I've noticed is that it's really difficult to make it sound good, you can make it sound loud with little but to make it shine you need a lot of power, the correct combination scales immensely!
HE-6 6 screw? What amp was used? The ERA is a well under rated can overall, and outside of bass impact/grunt I might rather listen to it than a stock HE-6 6 screw which is too angry for me. But a fully working/powered HE-6 6 screw is at worst the 2nd best bass headphone I've ever heard along with the Phi.

Outside of closed back bass cannon dynamics - I never bought that dynamic > planar bass thing - certainly not in aspects of speed, timbre, impact (rise time IMO). Lots of dynamics are under damped and have non-controlled reflections so the sustain/volume is louder, but with complex multi-bass instruments banging away. Just make sure that the planars have more than enough power if you anyone cares to test my assertion - best models to prove it include the HE-6 6 screw, OG LCD-4, Phi, D8000 Pro, E2 on say a Rag 1 or 2.

When stuff lile the TH-900 mk2 is PEQ's flat (since it's about +8 db above reference from 100Hz down, and still ! +5 at 170 Hz - well...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back