QDC - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Oct 23, 2019 at 10:12 PM Post #1,262 of 2,715
Porta-fi update and whats next...
1023191851.jpg
During my most recent trip to JP a few months back, I did a bit of impression on daps and cables for VX. The AK Kann Kube really stood out to me... Pieces of my new rig start coming in from all over the World... And today I recieve the last pieces of the puzzle.

AK Kann Kube, a custom made tri-metal mini xlr to 4.4 adapter and cable from a certain SG diyer, and a 2pin to qdc adapter...

I still have my WM1A and will A/B the 2 daps. I will post some short impressions here after a few days.

Oct 24, 2019 at 12:45 AM Post #1,263 of 2,715
those in the USA who've ordered custom QDCs, who did you order through? I see Musicteck is a dealer, any good experiences as them as a middleman? I also am thinking about ordering from music-sanctuary but not sure if they work with US clients?

Oct 24, 2019 at 1:16 AM Post #1,264 of 2,715
those in the USA who've ordered custom QDCs, who did you order through? I see Musicteck is a dealer, any good experiences as them as a middleman? I also am thinking about ordering from music-sanctuary but not sure if they work with US clients?

Musicteck should have the uni version in stock, but if you want ciem it will take much longer. afaik qdc put domestic order as priority, I know people that got a full custom VX in a week in china. it will take a few weeks to a few month in SG. I dont even want to imagine getting a VX-C in the US...

Oct 24, 2019 at 3:03 AM Post #1,265 of 2,715

Musicteck is a great retailer. I’ve bought quite a few stuffs from them. I don’t see the custom VX listed on their site. Send them an email to see if they can do it.

Music Sanctuary do work with US customers. I’ve purchased a few items from them, when I used to live in the US.

Oct 24, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #1,266 of 2,715
I'm actually interested in the 8CL. Unis don't work for me either because of fit issues or resonant peaks. Always one or the other plague me.

I appreciate your guys' replies. I'll keep you posted on the direction I end up going.

Thanks,
-Vince

Oct 27, 2019 at 12:49 AM Post #1,268 of 2,715
Some short impression of Kube with VX using the XLR output.

I think the Kann's 2.5mm output sounds somewhat different compare to the XLR, it may have something to do with the fact that the XLR out bypass the secondary amp on the Kube.
upload_2019-10-26_21-29-6.png
while I would describe the Kube with 2.5mm as neutral dark, the XLR output is one of the most neutral sound i have ever hear out of a DAP (and I like my neutral daps)

VS WM1A
While I can say it sounds better than 1A in terms of technical abilities, but Kube is not leagues above 1A in the resolution department. But the difference in sound signature is easier to pick up. Kube is more subbass focused and lacks the treble spike that's on the 1A. I can hear a slight hiss with the 1A, whereas the Kube is dead silent, which made classical music and instrumental a lot more enjoyable for me.

https://www.e-earphone.jp/shop/shop...000000253532&search=kann+cube&sort=price_desc

I do believe this is the only xlr to 4.4mm adapter for sale w/o having one custom made, which made trying the Kube with the xlr out a bit difficult. So far it feels like this is a lot of hassle for a marginal gain over the 1A, but I am committed to the porta-fi meme...

Oct 27, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #1,269 of 2,715
I used Misicteck for my custom VX’s. Andrew is excellent to work with and I felt made the experience better. Highly recommended. Tks.

Oct 30, 2019 at 5:26 AM Post #1,271 of 2,715
I received my Anole VX today. You know the phrase "jack of all trades; master of none". I would call this "master of all trades; jack of none". That is, it does everything to a TOTL level.

It is not the single best IEM I have heard in one specific category. Others are. But with those, I can always pick out one, or more, weaknesses. Everything feels like a trade-off. I don't want to feel like I'm sacrificing something to get something else. It shouldn't be like that.

These IEMs just do everything amazingly well. And that should be a virtue in itself: call it flexibility, versatility, lack of weakness, whatever you want.

These are my favourite IEMs because I don't need trade-offs. Yes, maybe DD bass packs more visceral punch and has more natural decay, but this is better BA bass than I have heard coming from even the 64 U12t. Everything is done so, so well.

I can pick these up and not have to think "Hmm, what music am I listening to today? Which IEM would be the most appropriate?"

Anyone else have the same experience?

Oct 30, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #1,273 of 2,715
I received my Anole VX today. You know the phrase "jack of all trades; master of none". I would call this "master of all trades; jack of none". That is, it does everything to a TOTL level.

It is not the single best IEM I have heard in one specific category. Others are. But with those, I can always pick out one, or more, weaknesses. Everything feels like a trade-off. I don't want to feel like I'm sacrificing something to get something else. It shouldn't be like that.

These IEMs just do everything amazingly well. And that should be a virtue in itself: call it flexibility, versatility, lack of weakness, whatever you want.

These are my favourite IEMs because I don't need trade-offs. Yes, maybe DD bass packs more visceral punch and has more natural decay, but this is better BA bass than I have heard coming from even the 64 U12t. Everything is done so, so well.

I can pick these up and not have to think "Hmm, what music am I listening to today? Which IEM would be the most appropriate?"

Anyone else have the same experience?

Agreed man, they rock! I totally feel you on the bass...best BA bass ever, and for the first time I am able to live without DD. Happy listening!

Oct 31, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #1,274 of 2,715
Just got my Luminox Day For Night cable from e-earphone for my vx. Very fast, 6 days from ordering. Bought it through zenmarket.
I can hear much improvement from my GU.Craftsman aliexpress cable, mainly detail retrieval, even wider soundstage, etc.

Oct 31, 2019 at 11:25 PM Post #1,275 of 2,715
E-earphone is the largest shop by far. Tokyo, Osaka, Nagoya,etc. They don't seem to have a used pair of VX on stock at this time. https://www.e-earphone.jp/shopbrand/ct3172/
Be reminded QDC is not the most sought after IEM yet in Japam though certainly picked up last 3 years or so.

Found qdc’s official retailer in Japan, they seem to have a discount on their products at the moment, can’t read japanese though:

https://www.mixwave.co.jp/c_audio/c_news/caudio_news19092603.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back