Q701 users, what dac/amp are you using?
Sep 7, 2011 at 12:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

larrymd

New Head-Fier
I am totally green for Hifi listening, just got a Q701 and my main listening source is macbook pro, also have a ipod classic (160G), but mainly I use IE6 for my ipod, which i think it is fine even without dac/amp. Hence I want to ask you guys which amp/dac (portable first, desktop is fine) you are using paired with Q701. my budget is 100-200, and I know the choice range is really narrow, I have some options in mind, which are:

1 Fiio E7/E11/E5
2 JDS CMoyBB
3 Ibasso T3

Can you give me some advice? 
thanks

Sep 7, 2011 at 4:53 AM Post #2 of 13
If I were you, I would save a bit more first. A good choice would be a Schiit Bifrost DAC with either a Valhalla or Lyr. I personally love the Lyr with my K701s

Sep 7, 2011 at 6:46 AM Post #3 of 13
Thanks very much. I have considered schiit series, they seem to be really good choice with solid quality, one problem is that they actually don't have usb jack, how do you connect them with PC or notebook?

Sep 7, 2011 at 9:02 AM Post #5 of 13

Quote:
Thanks very much. I have considered schiit series, they seem to be really good choice with solid quality, one problem is that they actually don't have usb jack, how do you connect them with PC or notebook?

The Bitfrost has on option for USB and MacBook pros have an optical out if necessary.

Guy

Sep 7, 2011 at 9:06 AM Post #6 of 13
Thanks, I have checked, the apogee duet is like killing beautiful, the style really perfectly matches macbook. and the duet 2 is even more beautiful. if used duet unavailable, even want to save money to buy a new duet 2.

Sep 7, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #7 of 13

Quote:
The Bitfrost has on option for USB and MacBook pros have an optical out if necessary.

Guy

Yup, the bifrost has a usb card add on for $100 but the Schiit guys recommend you use optical if you are using a mac (or anything else that has optical)

Sep 7, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
For the Macbook pro the Apogee Duet will be great, I use the Apogee Mini DAC, you can get the Duet as used for around 320-to-$350.

Good call. A powerful device. 

Sep 8, 2011 at 8:46 AM Post #12 of 13
I am very happy with my E9i/K701 combo!
I wouldn't buy the E7 though.. too low resolution! You can't play hi-rez files with it witch imho is one of the main reasons for someone to get a dac! Unless you are using only 16/44.1 or mp3's so OK

For the Bifrost now if I didn't want to get the +100$ usb option I would connect it to my computer with an M2Tech Hiface usb to spdif converter -it's one of my most rewarding audio buy's!! Since the hiface hit the market some other companies also made such interfaces (Musical Fidelity for example) but I haven't auditioned any of them.
What ever the case I can't wait for the first reviews of the Bifrost!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back