Q701 impressions thread
Dec 16, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #2,237 of 9,602
Quote:
The new Schiit Amp/DAC is looking enticing! Anyone pick them up and use with these cans yet?

They were just made available a couple days ago. Thankfully a lot of people have them on order so we'll see soon! You'll see them posted in the http://www.head-fi.org/t/640783/schiit-magni-headphone-amplifier thread.

Dec 17, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #2,238 of 9,602
if we compare the Objective2 vs Matrix M-Stage on the Q701, wich one gives me the best ratio price/quality?

This may not be the answer you are looking for but the best value is the amp you prefer.

Somewhere in Head Fi there is a thread where someone compared the O2 to an M Stage with AKG K70x or AKG Q701s.
He owned both, and didn't like the O2 so he sold it!
He thought the O2 was too bright and thin sounding, he thought the M Stage was fuller sounding.
Others have posted different opinions......the O2 sounds better, they sound the same, etc.

Anyway..............YMMV.......:xf_eek:

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #2,239 of 9,602
:frowning2: . I have my Q701 around 3 months now, totally love the thing wearing it day in day out.
The right ear is emitting some soft crunching distortion, resonance-like sound, especially in response to lower frequencies; it's real hard not to hear it at normal to high volume. Considering I bought the headphone in the US at a great price and live in the EU, I don't believe I am entitled to much of a warranty. Real sad.

Dec 17, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #2,240 of 9,602
Quote:
:frowning2: . I have my Q701 around 3 months now, totally love the thing wearing it day in day out.
The right ear is emitting some soft crunching distortion, resonance-like sound, especially in response to lower frequencies; it's real hard not to hear it at normal to high volume. Considering I bought the headphone in the US at a great price and live in the EU, I don't believe I am entitled to much of a warranty. Real sad.

What gear are you using and how are they connected? I've found that clipping/distortion is usually suspect (or even hair). Is volume at 100% on any of the gear? Do you have EQ enabled somewhere?

Dec 17, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #2,241 of 9,602
Quote:
What gear are you using and how are they connected? I've found that clipping/distortion is usually suspect (or even hair). Is volume at 100% on any of the gear? Do you have EQ enabled somewhere?

Well, I've been using this set-up for a long time. Desktop set-up = X-Fi Go! into speaker amplifier, audiophile set-up = V-Dac MK-II into Burson HA-160. Portable set-up = iPod shuffle & FiiO E6. The desktop set-up is often at 100%, clipping could very well be a problem but 'till this day I've never noticed it too much.

What I've noticed so far is that it can mostly be heard on isolated acoustic instruments stand-alone. A big part of my music library is piano music, so the noise is heard on a whole lot of tracks. The noise can be heard on all set-ups to a varying degree. I've tested the portable set-up with the family at home, after a while they reported noises when I told them exactly what to listen to. So not very easy to discern. If it doesn't go away I might just sell it on ebay, anyone listening to their Avicii and Tiesto won't be able to hear it at all I'm sure.

I've also noticed that my aftermarket cable seemed to have a lot more of this noise than the stock cable. Either that, or plugging and unplugging the mini-xlr of the headphone makes for the distortion. Maybe the xlr is doing weird? Dust in the xlr port? Don't see any, though.

Since you seem to have experienced clipping/distortion before, could you tell me what was the cause and what you did to fix/prevent it?

I really wonder if I hear the noise just now or if I haven't been bothered by it up 'till now. I don't want to buy another AKG and experience the same..

Edit: OK the characteristic of the noise definitely seems like clipping. But why haven't I heard this up 'till now (for 3 months!) and how do I get rid of it T_T. Also, when using my Beyer DT880 or Bose noise cancelling headphones, the same artifacts are near non-existant. Sigh.

Dec 17, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #2,242 of 9,602
Quote:

Well, I've been using this set-up for a long time. Desktop set-up = X-Fi Go! into speaker amplifier, audiophile set-up = V-Dac MK-II into Burson HA-160. Portable set-up = iPod shuffle & FiiO E6. The desktop set-up is often at 100%, clipping could very well be a problem but 'till this day I've never noticed it too much.

What I've noticed so far is that it can mostly be heard on isolated acoustic instruments stand-alone. A big part of my music library is piano music, so the noise is heard on a whole lot of tracks. The noise can be heard on all set-ups to a varying degree. I've tested the portable set-up with the family at home, after a while they reported noises when I told them exactly what to listen to. So not very easy to discern. If it doesn't go away I might just sell it on ebay, anyone listening to their Avicii and Tiesto won't be able to hear it at all I'm sure.

I've also noticed that my aftermarket cable seemed to have a lot more of this noise than the stock cable. Either that, or plugging and unplugging the mini-xlr of the headphone makes for the distortion. Maybe the xlr is doing weird? Dust in the xlr port? Don't see any, though.

Since you seem to have experienced clipping/distortion before, could you tell me what was the cause and what you did to fix/prevent it?

I really wonder if I hear the noise just now or if I haven't been bothered by it up 'till now. I don't want to buy another AKG and experience the same..

Edit: OK the characteristic of the noise definitely seems like clipping. But why haven't I heard this up 'till now (for 3 months!) and how do I get rid of it T_T. Also, when using my Beyer DT880 or Bose noise cancelling headphones, the same artifacts are near non-existant. Sigh.

I've replied to someone already about this. My brand new Q701s had this same problem in the left ear after about 2 hours. I sent mine back and got another set and this has been fine. Nothing had changed. Not sure if this makes any difference but the 1st set had a serial number in the 11,000s, the 2nd set is 05206. My set-up is E7+E9, low gain.

Dec 17, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #2,243 of 9,602
Was thinking of buying those as my musical taste grows "older" with time :-D but all i have is HRT's HEADSTREAMER.
The Headstreamer is  enough to power my Denon d2000 (barely, but enough), are the Q701 harder to drive than the D2000? (especially volume-wise)

Thanks to those who answer :)

Dec 17, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #2,244 of 9,602
Quote:
Was thinking of buying those as my musical taste grows "older" with time :-D but all i have is HRT's HEADSTREAMER.
The Headstreamer is  enough to power my Denon d2000 (barely, but enough), are the Q701 harder to drive than the D2000? (especially volume-wise)

Thanks to those who answer :)

I think that Headfonia said the Headstreamer had a better amp than the E10, which I think would handle the D2000 fine.  The Q701 would probably scale up a bit more with a desktop amp.

Dec 18, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #2,245 of 9,602
Quick question to the 701 community... have any of you have the AKG logo rub off? like on both sides you'll see 2 circular plates L / R - both sides with AKG... one day i noticed that one side faded and broke off.. so i decided to rub it all off instead of some broken AKG logo - this a defect or am i just a sad unlucky owner ?

Dec 19, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #2,247 of 9,602
Still enjoying these quite a bit after owning them for about 7 weeks now. I think they are the best sounding thing I have put on(or in) my ears. So clear and tight sounding. I don't know exactly how much time is on them, but it's got to be somewhere around 150-200 hours by now. About 50 days at I'd guess an average of about 3-4 hours of usage on average a day. 

Dec 20, 2012 at 8:40 AM Post #2,248 of 9,602
Quote:
I've replied to someone already about this. My brand new Q701s had this same problem in the left ear after about 2 hours. I sent mine back and got another set and this has been fine. Nothing had changed. Not sure if this makes any difference but the 1st set had a serial number in the 11,000s, the 2nd set is 05206. My set-up is E7+E9, low gain.

Returned them to amazon today. 2-month return window has passed but after writing some witty-angry e-mail I managed to get a return arranged. Money will be refunded though, no repair/replacement which infects me with upgradeitis yet again SIGH. Buying another Q701 would definitely be safe, though, wonderful phones.

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #2,249 of 9,602
Quote:
Quick question to the 701 community... have any of you have the AKG logo rub off? like on both sides you'll see 2 circular plates L / R - both sides with AKG... one day i noticed that one side faded and broke off.. so i decided to rub it all off instead of some broken AKG logo - this a defect or am i just a sad unlucky owner ?

My logos are holding out fine.
Maybe it means you use them a lot?
And who could blame you?
wink_face.gif

Dec 20, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #2,250 of 9,602
I wonder if anyone's ever put K550 pads on the Q701.  I know AKG makes a lot of their pads interchangeable, they just twist into the bayonet lock.  My K400 and Q701 pads were interchangeable.

I bet it would do weird things (possibly negative) to the sound.

O_0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back