Q701 impressions thread
Feb 12, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #406 of 9,602
I am willing to spend $500 on a new amp. any good suggestions? Please list and why,  thank you Mike.

Feb 12, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #408 of 9,602

Quote:

I see, I'm using them with a Titanium HD right now, I'm waiting for my m-stage to arrive. I thought it would sound fine since the titanium supports up to 330 ohm headphones, but apparently that's not the case.

The M and the Q are a nice combination.
Congrats!
The M can drive almost any 'phone on the market expect for a few super low efficiency types (LCD, etc) and maybe some super high efficiency types. 

Feb 12, 2012 at 9:07 AM Post #409 of 9,602

Quote:
Who says the Q701 can't be as good as HD800? Today my wa22 for hd800 arrived... Fortunately I did not sell my Q701 and put it on the wa22 for fun ( I never heard anyone put those two together). I played one Symphony and I found the Q701 has a soundage similar to HD800!! Well, the HD800 is still superior to Q701 in any aspect but still Wow!!! Never thought Q701 can be this good, especially the smooth sound which is a signiture sound of Q701 makes it to be definetly one of the top notch headphones!!!

Thank you!  This still confirms my belief that the Q701 is still a top performer.

Feb 12, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #410 of 9,602

Quote:
I am willing to spend $500 on a new amp. any good suggestions? Please list and why,  thank you Mike.

What are you looking for in an amp?
Tubes?
Solid state?
Neutral or any particular sound?

Feb 12, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #412 of 9,602

Quote:
For a tangible example, Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon.

Or Pink Floyd's The Wall

Or first four songs on Hendrix's Electric Ladyland

Feb 13, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #413 of 9,602
Even though the RoCoo P is such a small player, it sounds really, really good with the Q701. I disliked the Studio-V, and at a third of the price, the RoCoo sounds a lot better!

Feb 13, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #414 of 9,602
I have a similar experience with my sonett. The K70x reaches another level paired with a transformer-coupled tube amp using balanced output.  

Quote:
Who says the Q701 can't be as good as HD800? Today my wa22 for hd800 arrived... Fortunately I did not sell my Q701 and put it on the wa22 for fun ( I never heard anyone put those two together). I played one Symphony and I found the Q701 has a soundage similar to HD800!! Well, the HD800 is still superior to Q701 in any aspect but still Wow!!! Never thought Q701 can be this good, especially the smooth sound which is a signiture sound of Q701 makes it to be definetly one of the top notch headphones!!!

Feb 14, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #415 of 9,602
I just lent my q701's to a friend in exchange for his 555's.  He had heard my q701's when they were brand new.  His first comment was wow, these have more bass then last time I heard them.  I thought that was awesome verification on the burn in.  The 555's are really nice too.

Feb 16, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #416 of 9,602
Important note: Never, ever, forget to visit your local Salvation Army every once in a while and check out what they have. Today I stopped by, like I do every month, to look around and see what's what. I was roaming around the back, the manager is married to an old school mate of mine and she doesn't care. Before long I came upon a closed box and there, sitting in a box, was a large bundle of different types of cables. They hadn't sifted through it yet, so I took the opportunity to do it for them. :D My heart sped up, because under the huge mass of Monster and Acoustic Research snakes was a pair of white Q701s. They were in very good condition, I'd say 7.5/10, and I gently laid them to the side. I remained calm and kept digging and also unearthed a vintage Marantz 2240B, sans cabinet, on the very bottom, 7/10 but a little dirty. I stood and thought for a second, then went and retrieved Wendy (the mgr). I told her point-blank, "what was in that box is probably worth a few hundred dollars if it all works properly, not counting cables and odds/ends". She looked surprised. "Mind if I hook it up and see?" She told me to have at it, so I did.

Fifteen minutes later I'm sitting in a recliner with my phone hooked up to the Marantz listening to Tori Amos' Little Earthquakes through the Q701s, sporting a smile. Yeah, I did check the AKGs for funk before sticking them on my head, I'm picky that way. Then Wendy said, "I guess it all works?" I replied, "No, it's terrible!" and winked. I ended up paying $125 for the whole box. :) The receiver got a good cleaning tonight, and I was able to get the noise out of the scratchy volume pot, plus the lights are fine. Looks like it had been serviced some time in the last decade, which is also a plus. Now, the Q701s are a mystery, they aren't a very old model so I'm wondering how they ended up in all this. They have a few dings and smudges, but they cleaned up fine and the pads are in very good shape. Maybe this was some head-fier's personal station and something happened to him/her? Guess I'll never know... :confused:

Oh, how do they sound? Damn... they seem like a great combo; tight, clear, with fantastic imaging, big big soundstage, and a touch of extra high and mid bass. Mostly neutral though, with a sheen of warmth. I really dig `em. I was going to get a pair of HD600s or DT880s, but I think I may be happy with these.

Feb 16, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #417 of 9,602
^ Wow.
k701smile.gif

Feb 16, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #418 of 9,602
Yeah, my wife wasn't pleased though, she thinks I'm hoarding audio gear. Doesn't help that I went and retrieved my old McIntosh MA6100 from my parents' house and it's still sitting on the floor here next to my desk. :D

Feb 17, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #420 of 9,602
I'm gonna give the edge to SR-007 out of a Liquid Lightning, myself. But considering the cost of ownership for a rig like that, I'd agree with you about the Q701 being everything I need. Gotta talk myself out of a really nice tube amp though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back