Q701 impressions thread
Feb 6, 2012 at 3:48 AM Post #378 of 9,602
Yes, the 3.5mm jack is already amped by your soundcard (every standard headphone jack is amplified), so hooking up an amp to that is double amping, which is potentially worse than not using an amp at all.

Feb 6, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #379 of 9,602
i see.. thanks for the info.
and sorry for going off track on this thread.
i dont have a q701 but i have a k701.
the reason i got k701 over k702 or q701 is because i though theyre the same headphone with different cosmetics.
so i thought the k701 is the best looking. and it came with a stand. (why are headphone stands so expensive)
if i knew the q701 are better i should have gotten those instead.
anyways i find my k701 pretty punchy in bass after heavy usage, probably because im someone who came from an ad700.

will probably stick with my current setup until i get my HRT MS or HRT MS+.
i heard problems with MS and MS+ can be fixed with a powered hub.

Feb 6, 2012 at 4:04 AM Post #380 of 9,602
That's why people use line out docks for their Ipods and stuff, instead of attaching a cable to the headphone jack. Avoid using headphone or speaker outs unless its a last resort.

Or in my case, I have to use the headphone out to preserve the virtual surround processing of the source.

Feb 6, 2012 at 8:01 AM Post #381 of 9,602

Quote:
Watching Tyll's review on Youtube implies they sound identical (as well as IF's graphs), but headroom's graphs, you and a few others think otherwise.
Not sure what to think. I wish you had the DT880s on hand to compare, but oh well...
Its almost like AKG revised the Qs recently to differentiate it a bit vs the Ks...

I have a pair of Q701s and DT880/600 ohms.

I think the DT880s are a flatter, more neutral headphone, but are slightly rolled off in the highs.
This is slightly balanced out by a trace of sibilance.
The bass is controlled, tightly damped and punchy.
Midrange is full, present, clean and detailed.
These are great 'phones for music like Aerosmith or Pink Floyd and do a good job of reproducing electric guitars.
They are a very good alternative to my Q701 and are VERY comfortable for extended listening sessions.

Feb 6, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #382 of 9,602
@Alkhe4life, I can strongly reccomend the iBasso D6 for the Q701. I heard a friends a while back and was able to budged my setup down from a lyr bifrost combo to the D6 and still be happy. No the D6 isnt as amazing as the lyr bifrost combo but dam does it drive the Q nicely. With the D6 you get a 24/96 wolfson dual dac and a potent amp which is what the q needs. if later down the road you want a better amp you can still use the d6 as your dac and plug the d6 line out into your new amp like i do with my objective 2 amp. 

Hope this helps. 

-M

Feb 6, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #383 of 9,602

Quote:
@Alkhe4life, I can strongly reccomend the iBasso D6 for the Q701. I heard a friends a while back and was able to budged my setup down from a lyr bifrost combo to the D6 and still be happy. No the D6 isnt as amazing as the lyr bifrost combo but dam does it drive the Q nicely. With the D6 you get a 24/96 wolfson dual dac and a potent amp which is what the q needs. if later down the road you want a better amp you can still use the d6 as your dac and plug the d6 line out into your new amp like i do with my objective 2 amp. 

Hope this helps. 

-M

Another option is the iBasso D7.. I'm really enjoying my Q's through it. 

Feb 6, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #384 of 9,602

Quote:
Yes, the 3.5mm jack is already amped by your soundcard (every standard headphone jack is amplified), so hooking up an amp to that is double amping, which is potentially worse than not using an amp at all.

M.L.E., I've been eying the D3 as an inexpensive stop gap until I can afford something nice.  How do you think it compares to the E7's DAC section?

Feb 6, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #385 of 9,602
Even the iBasso D12 works quite well with my Q701 cans.
I bought it based on the three flavours of digital input:      RCA, Optical and USB.

Feb 6, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #386 of 9,602

Quote:
Even the iBasso D12 works quite well with my Q701 cans.
I bought it based on the three flavours of digital input:      RCA, Optical and USB.

Digital input flexibility is another reason why I'm looking seriously at the D3.  Which digital input do find has the most consistent results?

Feb 6, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #387 of 9,602
M.L.E., I've been eying the D3 as an inexpensive stop gap until I can afford something nice.  How do you think it compares to the E7's DAC section?

The D3 is superior to the E7. A fuller, clearer sound. It adds a little bass emphasis (very,very subtle) compared to the E7.

Feb 6, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #388 of 9,602

Quote:
The D3 is superior to the E7. A fuller, clearer sound. It adds a little bass emphasis (very,very subtle) compared to the E7.

Thanks for the info.  I see a shiny new D3 in my near future.
biggrin.gif

Feb 6, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #389 of 9,602
For the price of admission, I highly doubt you'll find anything to hate about it. :) It sounds damn good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back