Q701 impressions thread
Feb 5, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #361 of 9,602

Quote:

Ya, I know some people will probably try and deflate my statements by saying the K's aren't burnt in yet.  But, I didn't notice much change with my Q701s during burn-in.  The bass sounded great out of the box.  These K702s sound obviously colder/thinner/flatter then the Qs, and I doubt burn in fix it. 

I just had my bro listen to that song you linked.  He said the K702s sounded normal, but after listening to the Q701s he said they have "almost annoying amounts of bass" in comparison
atsmile.gif

I'll echo your statement, as I too found the bass in the Q701 quite good out of the box.   It had a nice deep rumble to it when the music called for it.  Which surprised me having read numerous accounts of it(K701/2) being light on bass with it appearing after hundreds of hours of burn-in.  That was certainly not what I heard.

Feb 5, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #362 of 9,602

Quote:
Well Chico, I hope you're happy... just placed an order for the White Qs...
mad.gif

I don't mind the lack of bass or lack of prowess with EDM or hip hop (compared to the OTHER can), as that's what my D7Ks are for. I do however need a mid rich, full sounding, open can for non-bass heavy genres, TV shows, anime, and these seem to fit the bill. I'd have went with the DT880 Pros, but I'm all Beyer'd out, and don't want as sharp a treble for my secondary cans.

Come on Qs... you better live up to the hype. The K701 had some glaring flaws. Hopefully the warmer, fuller sound will be enough.
I'd have saved up for the HE500, but I REALLY don't want a heavy pair of cans. The HE-4 was quite heavy, and for the type of relaxed listening, it's not what I'm looking for.

Nice! 
beerchug.gif

I hope they work out for you.  You will have to give them some time getting used to their warmer signature.

Feb 5, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #363 of 9,602

I wouldnt say the mid is much fuller to be honest. To my ears, K701 is better with vocal. The difference aint huge anyway. 
Quote:
Well Chico, I hope you're happy... just placed an order for the White Qs...
mad.gif

I don't mind the lack of bass or lack of prowess with EDM or hip hop (compared to the OTHER can), as that's what my D7Ks are for. I do however need a mid rich, full sounding, open can for non-bass heavy genres, TV shows, anime, and these seem to fit the bill. I'd have went with the DT880 Pros, but I'm all Beyer'd out, and don't want as sharp a treble for my secondary cans.
Come on Qs... you better live up to the hype. The K701 had some glaring flaws. Hopefully the warmer, fuller sound will be enough.
I'd have saved up for the HE500, but I REALLY don't want a heavy pair of cans. The HE-4 was quite heavy, and for the type of relaxed listening, it's not what I'm looking for.

Feb 5, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #364 of 9,602

Quote:
I wouldnt say the mid is much fuller to be honest. To my ears, K701 is better with vocal. The difference aint huge anyway. 

Don't agree with this at all. I always felt the K701/K702 was pretty average for vocals. Female at least and because of that I preferred the K601 and K501. Feel that the Q701 is a nice improvement for sure and one of the main reasons I got rid of my K501.
I don't think anyone can ever agree on this forum about anything
normal_smile%20.gif

I think the Q701 has some serious competition for female vocals with the HD-598 and my K601. The Q701 is very accurate to how the song is recorded. If the recording makes vocals sound distant (too common somehow), then it's not going to shove them closer to your ears like on some other headphones (my DJ100 does this slightly). My KRK is the same way.

I will say that if I listened to say 90% of vocals (who the heck does that?!), the Q701 wouldn't be my first choice I think. Still need to try out the W1000X sometime for this. Not sure how it compares to the ATH-AD2000 or W1000 though.

Feb 5, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #365 of 9,602
Well, considering I'm a huge V shaped can type of guy, I'm sure the richer mids on the Qs will be anice change of pace.

I do remember the HD598 having some godly mids though.

Feb 5, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #366 of 9,602
I see alot of people always argue whether one headphone is better than the other, and I have been thinking about it quite much recently. There are too many variables which would give alter the sound that headphones give. 

1. Manufacturing Error
I honestly believe with alot of the headphones, even though they are the same model, the sound can vary. I tested this when I bought about 3 DT990 and surprisingly they all sounded different. I dont know this may have something to do with the burn in they had. 

2. Burn-in time
Each pair will have different burn in hours on it. It is really difficult to compare your pair with my pair unless we are listening to the same pair. Even if they had same amount of time of burn in. The audio file they use and also the gears (amp and dac) will alter the burn in effect as well. 

3. Different source, amp, cable and etc. 
No explanation needed. 

4. Hearing differences
As we age the frequency ranges that we hear will be different, usually start with decrease of the highs. For example, a baby that is listening to the Q701 would probably say the extension of the treble would be better than what most of us are hearing right now.  By the way, better be quite self-conscious about the volume that you are listening your music. It does affect your hearing. 

So, whatever you are or we are comparing, its just very subjective. Got to try out the headphone yourself. The reviews are just an vague guideline. Audition before purchase if it is possible and know what you want.

Quote:
Don't agree with this at all. I always felt the K701/K702 was pretty average for vocals. Female at least and because of that I preferred the K601 and K501. Feel that the Q701 is a nice improvement for sure and one of the main reasons I got rid of my K501.
I don't think anyone can ever agree on this forum about anything
normal_smile%20.gif

I think the Q701 has some serious competition for female vocals with the HD-598 and my K601. The Q701 is very accurate to how the song is recorded. If the recording makes vocals sound distant (too common somehow), then it's not going to shove them closer to your ears like on some other headphones (my DJ100 does this slightly). My KRK is the same way.

I will say that if I listened to say 90% of vocals (who the heck does that?!), the Q701 wouldn't be my first choice I think. Still need to try out the W1000X sometime for this. Not sure how it compares to the ATH-AD2000 or W1000 though.

Feb 6, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #367 of 9,602
how should my volume setting be set with my setup?
do i max volume on source and adjust listening level on my m stage connect with q/k70x.
do i max m stage and adjust on source?
or do i balance it? like 40% on source 11'o clock position on m stage.

Feb 6, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #368 of 9,602

Quote:
how should my volume setting be set with my setup?
do i max volume on source and adjust listening level on my m stage connect with q/k70x.
do i max m stage and adjust on source?
or do i balance it? like 40% on source 11'o clock position on m stage.

The first one if it's a DAC.

If the source is another amp, like a laptop/mp3 player/etc. then set the M-stage to 12 o'clock @ 10 dB gain setting and adjust the source.

Feb 6, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #370 of 9,602

Quote:
the same goes for pc soundcards right? my sound card has a connector that takes power from my pc power supply.

If the soundcard has a line out, you won't need to set it's volume.  If your taking the headphone out from the soundcard, you can do what I said and set the M-Stage to 10 dB gain and 12 O'clock volume.

I take it you don't have a DAC or the M-stage with built in DAC?

Feb 6, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #371 of 9,602

Quote:

If the soundcard has a line out, you won't need to set it's volume.  If your taking the headphone out from the soundcard, you can do what I said and set the M-Stage to 10 dB gain and 12 O'clock volume.

I take it you don't have a DAC or the M-stage with built in DAC?

my m stage dont come with a dac. my sound card has a front out or whatever you like to call it(for 3.5 headphone or speaker plug)
its connected to my m stage with a 3.5 male to rca.
sound card is asus xonar dx

Feb 6, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #372 of 9,602
The back of your soundcard has a spdif out (shared with the mic input). Your soundcard supposedly comes with an adapter that allows you to hook up a toslink/optical cable. IF you have that adapter, you can get something as cheap as the Fiio D3, which converts digital to analog (rca),and feed that to your M Stage.

http://techreport.com/r.x/asus-xonar-dx/extras.jpg

That is the adapter you need, plus an optical cable.

For less than $30, the Fiio D3 a pretty good DAC.

Of course, you're bypassing your soundcards virtual surround... normally.

Feb 6, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #373 of 9,602

Quote:
The back of your soundcard has a spdif out (shared with the mic input). Your soundcard supposedly comes with an adapter that allows you to hook up a toslink/optical cable. IF you have that adapter, you can get something as cheap as the Fiio D3, which converts digital to analog (rca),and feed that to your M Stage.
http://techreport.com/r.x/asus-xonar-dx/extras.jpg
That is the adapter you need, plus an optical cable.
For less than $30, the Fiio D3 a pretty good DAC.
Of course, you're bypassing your soundcards virtual surround... normally.

is there a such thing as a toslink/optical to rca so i can feed it directly to my m stage?

Feb 6, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #374 of 9,602
Just got Lime Green Q701. Trying to find a DAC and AMP.... SOOOO hard to decide which ones to buy.

Feb 6, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #375 of 9,602

Quote:
is there a such thing as a toslink/optical to rca so i can feed it directly to my m stage?

You'd need a conversion of digital to analog somewhere in that mix

Users who are viewing this thread

Back