Q701 impressions thread
Feb 6, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #391 of 9,602

Quote:
Digital input flexibility is another reason why I'm looking seriously at the D3.  Which digital input do find has the most consistent results?

I have no idea!
I only have USB out on my PC.
I only have RCA out on my stupid expensive Wadia iPod dock.
Both inputs work well for their purpose, but I have never compared the same files out of the computer and the iPod.  Something to do in my spare time, I guess.
I think the D12 sounds surprisingly good for a $300 DAC/headphone amp.
I've tried the Optical input with my Blu-Ray player but that was just to see if it worked, which it did.

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #392 of 9,602
My Q701 vs K702 comparison:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/594927/akg-q701-vs-akg-k702-comparison-review

Feb 11, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #393 of 9,602
Made this into a wallpaper if anyone wants it. If you want the original color (green) just ask. 
biggrin.gif
 It's 1920 by 1200.

Feb 11, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #394 of 9,602
It's been almost two and a half months since I wrote my first impressions of the Q701 on the first post.

I've read my post again to see if there has been anything I would disagree with and would change. It's often easy to be a bit off on some impressions of specific headphones and I'm not afraid to admit this if it does happen. Basically I still agree with 99% of what I wrote. Since owning the Q701 I don't have any real complaints at all. I usually love to criticize my favorite headphones whenever possible!

Does anyone feel these headphones are totally unforgiving or fairly forgiving of poorly mastered songs or low bitrate files?
I originally said they were fairly forgiving, but I now no longer think this is really true at all. Maybe a tiny bit more forgiving than the DT-880 and KRK KNS-8400.
As smooth as the treble is, badly recorded albums still can sound really bad. I'm glad to say the Q701 doesn't really make them easier on the ears. Garbage in and garbage out as they say. I'm 100% sure it's the recording and verified this with the KRK KNS-8400. Any garbage track that sounds harsh and fatiguing on my Q701 is also just as bad on my KNS-8400 (and on my DJ100 strangely enough). When I had issues with the treble on my old K702, it wasn't just the case of bad recordings.

As long as the track is good, the treble is totally non-fatiguing in every way on the Q701. It's really sad how many Jpop albums I have where it's as if they boosted the upper mids and treble just to try and make it sound better. Doesn't seem to work. I have this new album from a favorite Japanese singer and it's nearly un-listenable on anything but the darkest headphone. That's too bad. Whoever recorded the album needs to get fired.

I made a stupid comment about how if someone thought the HD-598 was very smooth sounding, the Q701 is even more so. I must have had some perfect synergy when I had said that. Should have compared them more before saying something like that. It's not really true. The HD-598 I love because it's very detailed, yet can slightly tame some very bad recordings slightly. Crappy Jpop (bad) songs are much more listenable on the HD-598 compared to the Q701. It's almost like you've taken your bad recordings and put them through a filter to sound slightly better. It doesn't tame them (to my ears) as much as the HD-600/650 does. I think the track would have to be extremely bad for it to bother my ears. Even with bad Jpop I could probably fall asleep while listening to the HD-598. Yet it's not a boring headphone to me at all. Slightly more fun and engaging (for ME) than the HD-600/650.  The Q701 is still smooth sounding and sounds very balanced to me with 95% of music. Too bad that the rest is poorly mastered stuff. The Q701 is just doing it's job and not trying to "fix" anything for me.

I still don't know why I feel the Q701 has a smaller soundstage than the K702. Something just has me fooled I guess. I just know that with gaming nothing ever seen further away than it should be or not accurate. That's one reason I hated the K702 for gaming.

BTW after comparing about 3 different Q701 cables for a month, I think I prefer the stock cable. Just comes down to preferences I guess. Switching to other cables removes some things I love about the Q701, but does make other minor improvements. The stock Q701 cable is really very good!

Feb 11, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #396 of 9,602

Quote:
It's been almost two and a half months since I wrote my first impressions of the Q701 on the first post.

I've read my post again to see if there has been anything I would disagree with and would change. It's often easy to be a bit off on some impressions of specific headphones and I'm not afraid to admit this if it does happen. Basically I still agree with 99% of what I wrote. Since owning the Q701 I don't have any real complaints at all. I usually love to criticize my favorite headphones whenever possible!

Does anyone feel these headphones are totally unforgiving or fairly forgiving of poorly mastered songs or low bitrate files?
I originally said they were fairly forgiving, but I now no longer think this is really true at all. Maybe a tiny bit more forgiving than the DT-880 and KRK KNS-8400.
As smooth as the treble is, badly recorded albums still can sound really bad. I'm glad to say the Q701 doesn't really make them easier on the ears. Garbage in and garbage out as they say. I'm 100% sure it's the recording and verified this with the KRK KNS-8400. Any garbage track that sounds harsh and fatiguing on my Q701 is also just as bad on my KNS-8400 (and on my DJ100 strangely enough). When I had issues with the treble on my old K702, it wasn't just the case of bad recordings.

As long as the track is good, the treble is totally non-fatiguing in every way on the Q701. It's really sad how many Jpop albums I have where it's as if they boosted the upper mids and treble just to try and make it sound better. Doesn't seem to work. I have this new album from a favorite Japanese singer and it's nearly un-listenable on anything but the darkest headphone. That's too bad. Whoever recorded the album needs to get fired.

I made a stupid comment about how if someone thought the HD-598 was very smooth sounding, the Q701 is even more so. I must have had some perfect synergy when I had said that. Should have compared them more before saying something like that. It's not really true. The HD-598 I love because it's very detailed, yet can slightly tame some very bad recordings slightly. Crappy Jpop (bad) songs are much more listenable on the HD-598 compared to the Q701. It's almost like you've taken your bad recordings and put them through a filter to sound slightly better. It doesn't tame them (to my ears) as much as the HD-600/650 does. I think the track would have to be extremely bad for it to bother my ears. Even with bad Jpop I could probably fall asleep while listening to the HD-598. Yet it's not a boring headphone to me at all. Slightly more fun and engaging (for ME) than the HD-600/650.  The Q701 is still smooth sounding and sounds very balanced to me with 95% of music. Too bad that the rest is poorly mastered stuff. The Q701 is just doing it's job and not trying to "fix" anything for me.

I still don't know why I feel the Q701 has a smaller soundstage than the K702. Something just has me fooled I guess. I just know that with gaming nothing ever seen further away than it should be or not accurate. That's one reason I hated the K702 for gaming.

BTW after comparing about 3 different Q701 cables for a month, I think I prefer the stock cable. Just comes down to preferences I guess. Switching to other cables removes some things I love about the Q701, but does make other minor improvements. The stock Q701 cable is really very good!

The Q701 doesn't play well with any of my badly recorded albums, in fact, it sounds absolutely retched. Take for example, Chevelle's new album, "Hats of to the Bull" sounds terrible through the Q701.

Feb 11, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #401 of 9,602

Quote:
I am new to this, but can you guys give an example of what in your opinion is well recorded and not? Thanks.

There are a few threads on some of the best and worst recordings. The search function is at the top.

Feb 12, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #403 of 9,602
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but the right driver on my AKG K701 died the other day. Does anyone have experience ordering a replacement driver from AKG? Or any information on how I should go about getting a new driver?

From what I read, it appears the Q701 driver might sound slightly different from the K701 driver, would it be better to just order two Q701 drivers compared to mixing? 

Feb 12, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #404 of 9,602

Quote:
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but the right driver on my AKG K701 died the other day. Does anyone have experience ordering a replacement driver from AKG? Or any information on how I should go about getting a new driver?

From what I read, it appears the Q701 driver might sound slightly different from the K701 driver, would it be better to just order two Q701 drivers compared to mixing? 

Q701 shares the same driver as the K702 (same #).
The part # for the K701 is different, it's
2400Z0007

You can try this:

Frank Rodriguez
Sales/Parts Administrator
Harman Pro North America
8500 Balboa Blvd
Northridge, CA 91329
Ph: 818-920-3279
Fax: 818-920.3208

Tell them Ernest P. Worrell sent you for a 5% discount.

Feb 12, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #405 of 9,602
Thanks a bunch. Do you know approximate cost?

Anyone here running a balanced Q701? Before my driver died, I ran my K701 balanced out of Sonnett. Going from single ended to balanced tube amp greatly improved them. I wonder how a Q701 balanced would compare.  

Quote:
Q701 shares the same driver as the K702 (same #).
The part # for the K701 is different, it's
2400Z0007

You can try this:

Frank Rodriguez
Sales/Parts Administrator
Harman Pro North America
8500 Balboa Blvd
Northridge, CA 91329
Ph: 818-920-3279
Fax: 818-920.3208

Tell them Ernest P. Worrell sent you for a 5% discount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back