Q701 impressions thread
Apr 29, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #8,821 of 9,602
I use O2+ODAC with modded Q's. I can only say I like it a lot. I got rid of all my other amps (I even use it as my "portable"solution).

It's bright a bright combo If you compare it for example with HD700. Still, it doesn't bother me, but I have to say I like sharp and fast sounds so... To each its own. :p
I'd like to hear more feedback on the modded Qs if you don't mind. From what I've read it increases sub bass but becomes a touch looser and soundstage is slightly smaller.

Apr 29, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #8,822 of 9,602
I'd like to hear more feedback on the modded Qs if you don't mind. From what I've read it increases sub bass but becomes a touch looser and soundstage is slightly smaller.

I've read that a lot, and I think I said it the past. I lived for a while with a modded and an unmodded version and ended up modding both. It improves slightly the bass (subbass is not that much modified) and it's nothing crazy (HD700 still delivers waaaaay more bass and specially subbass). I don't think it reduces sound stage or becomes looser for what I remember, and even if it does, it's so subtle when compared with the improvement that it's not worth considering. I think some people interprets the increase of bass with a reduction in sound stage and I don't agree.

IMHO modding the Q's is a no brainer, but other people is going to differ with me because they really really enjoy bright signatures.

Apr 29, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #8,823 of 9,602
I've read that a lot, and I think I said it the past. I lived for a while with a modded and an unmodded version and ended up modding both. It improves slightly the bass (subbass is not that much modified) and it's nothing crazy (HD700 still delivers waaaaay more bass and specially subbass). I don't think it reduces sound stage or becomes looser for what I remember, and even if it does, it's so subtle when compared with the improvement that it's not worth considering. I think some people interprets the increase of bass with a reduction in sound stage and I don't agree.

IMHO modding the Q's is a no brainer, but other people is going to differ with me because they really really enjoy bright signatures.
I see, thanks for sharing your opinion. I'll definitely give it a try when I get the Qs if I find the bass lacking!

Apr 30, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #8,826 of 9,602
I haven't been in this thread for a while. I do still have my modded Q701 and still enjoy them. A week ago I got the new HTC One M9 smartphone. It has been doing excellent with my GR01, RE-Zero, and HM5. Actually it has made the RE-Zero really come alive compared to when I tried it and disliked it with my old Galaxy S4. Tonight I decided to plug my Q701 in and give a quick listen. Well, 2+ hours later I'm still listening to the Q701 plugged into the M9. This is very impressive for a smartphone.

I haven't seen anyone test the power output of the M9 yet as it's still very new, but people have said that the M9 sounds even more powerful than last years M8 which will put out up to 1.3VRMS and 96mw at 15ohm, 48mw at 33ohm and so on. 60-80% volume is driving the Q701 to my prefered listening level and it sounds clean and clear doing it. Very impressive, and sounds at least 95% as good as the Q701 hard wired right to the speaker taps of my Emotiva Mini-X. Bass is as tight and punchy as a Q701 has a right to be and it still has that very airy detailed sound. 

Man, I forgot how much I love these Q701's. They sound so special and unique.

Apr 30, 2015 at 5:06 AM Post #8,827 of 9,602
  If you need an amp just for the Q701 the Littledot 1+ sound way better than the MK III with the Q701,at least to my ears.

Truth be told, I was looking at the LD 1+ initially, but after a few reviews and the look of the MK3 I though I would rather go for the MK3. It wasn't that much more expensive. Anyways, I am very happy with the sound. I also like the design and everything else of the LD mk3. My Qs sound amazing. 

I think for now, I will save up for a proper DAC.

May 1, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #8,828 of 9,602

If you need an amp just for the Q701 the Littledot 1+ sound way better than the MK III with the Q701,at least to my ears.

Truth be told, I was looking at the LD 1+ initially, but after a few reviews and the look of the MK3 I though I would rather go for the MK3. It wasn't that much more expensive. Anyways, I am very happy with the sound. I also like the design and everything else of the LD mk3. My Qs sound amazing. 

I think for now, I will save up for a proper DAC.

One thing i like about the LD 1+ over MK III for my Q701 is the BASS and SOUNDSTAGE,The bass sound tighter and the soundstage is bigger.

May 5, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #8,829 of 9,602
Just got a Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100 to go with my little dot 1+ and modded Q701's....good lord what a fantastic sound to my ears, loads of detail and my Q701's have never sounded so good. 3.5 hours of listening and still great (I need to go to bed). Modding the q701 was the best thing I did, I highly recommend it.

May 7, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #8,832 of 9,602
Another question, is it worth it to upgrade the pads to k7xx pads?

I did A& B tests with a whole bunch of AKG phones, including the Q701 (made in austria version) with the bass port mod, with pads from the K7xx. 

Bass sounded very very close between the bass port modded Q701+gel pads, as it did on the K7XX, but the "AKG AIR" and treble were still slightly more detailed and present on the Q701.  And you lose a tiny bit of soundstage realism, when switching from the angled K701/Q701 pads (which are in Sennheiser HD800 territory width & placement wise), to the GEL pads from the K7xx (which increase bass and comfort).  K7xx isnt as muffled or dim as say, an Audeze or a Sennheiser HD650.....but they're the most dark and veiled of the whole AKG K701 family.  And very comfortable phones worthy of a much larger pricetag (as i feel all the K7-series are)

Was there another qualitative or quantitative question you had, regarding Q701's with those newer gel pads ?

May 7, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #8,833 of 9,602
  Just got a Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100 to go with my little dot 1+ and modded Q701's....good lord what a fantastic sound to my ears, loads of detail and my Q701's have never sounded so good. 3.5 hours of listening and still great (I need to go to bed). Modding the q701 was the best thing I did, I highly recommend it.

Bass port mod ?  pad mod ?  or another mod I'm unaware of ?

May 8, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #8,835 of 9,602
Can anyone comment on whether or not a replacement cable will give a satisfying click for the Qs on the Chinese version? It's kind of annoying how the cable doesn't fully connect, but I read that's normal for this version I'm just wondering if it's the cable or the connector.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back