Q701 impressions thread
Apr 25, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #8,806 of 9,602
To my ears the Matrix offers a darker background, more weight and an overall "calmer" sound if that makes sense. The C5 is also great (especially considering it's a portable solution) but the Matrix is even better (for me).

Whether you need a DAC or not is really up to you but yes I prefer it paired with a DAC. I'd guess it also depends on your source....

+1
Yes, I agree, excellent description of the sound character of the Matrix M Stage.
As an example, compared to my old FiiO E09K headphone amp, the M Stage was warmer, fuller, clearer and more open sounding. It had a more natural sound.

Apr 25, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #8,808 of 9,602
Love seeing those +1s for the M-Stage. If I were to get a DAC for it what would work best? Just in general regardless of source.

Check out my signature.
I will not mention it's name for fear of attracting trolls!
LOL! :D

Apr 26, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #8,809 of 9,602
Love seeing those +1s for the M-Stage. If I were to get a DAC for it what would work best? Just in general regardless of source.

I like the GeekOut720 best out of the DAC's I've tried to far. Personally I find the differences between DAC's to be much smaller than the differences between amps but ymmv.

Apr 26, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #8,810 of 9,602
I like the GeekOut720 best out of the DAC's I've tried to far. Personally I find the differences between DAC's to be much smaller than the differences between amps but ymmv.

Two small comments:

1 - If you're using a Geek Out for just the DAC, get the cheapest one.  They all use the same DAC implementation and the pricing differences are because of the onboard amp.

2 - Once you have a nicely transparent amp and a resolving enough headphone, you'll find that difference in DAC's is quite noticeable.  There are some things that once heard cannot be unheard.  Like the digital treble on Sabre DAC's or the mid-forward presentation of the Wolfsons.

I agree that the differences are hard to spot at first.  But once you are attuned to them, it's really not too subtle.

Apr 27, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #8,812 of 9,602
+1, that's my favourite with the Q's from those I've tried so far (that includes the original Magni, Cayin C5 and LD I+).

Objective Amp is also a good choice, you can buy the amp plus dac combo at 275 USD. It's very small and powerful. Low output impedance and high current is good for AKG, philips and other headphones that are less than 100 Om.

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:08 AM Post #8,817 of 9,602
Wouldn't objective be too bright with the Qs?

I've heard that opinion too, I know a guy who had a Matrix M Stage and an O2, he sold the O2 and kept the M Stage. He said the O2 was too bright.
Any O2 and Q701 users on this thread who can share their experience?

Apr 28, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #8,818 of 9,602
Speaking of cables are there any other good affordable cable replacements?
I haven't tried much yet. every AKG has its taste. for q701 i,love oyaide occ.(thicker puchier clear and less brightness in vocal which somehow improve the instrument ).
my akg 702 65th anv are good with vandamme prograde cable. just don't tried diy that is made by someone with no expertise. You can try cardas(has to be authentic) or any good professional brand mic cable.

By the way i sold my q701, but oyaide cable still left unsold, if you want to give a shot, contact me privately.its made in JAPAN.

Apr 28, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #8,819 of 9,602
I haven't posted a F/S yet, but I am thinking of selling my Matrix M-Stage.  Has 3 opamps - lm4562, stock and the OPA627 class a biasing mod amp.  I am the original owner and purchased it back on October 2012.

A great DAC combo with it (and the Q701's) is the Music Streamer II DAC.  Also thinking of selling that.  Would prefer a combo sale.

I'm in Canada.

Apr 29, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #8,820 of 9,602
I've heard that opinion too, I know a guy who had a Matrix M Stage and an O2, he sold the O2 and kept the M Stage. He said the O2 was too bright.
Any O2 and Q701 users on this thread who can share their experience?

I use O2+ODAC with modded Q's. I can only say I like it a lot. I got rid of all my other amps (I even use it as my "portable"solution).

It's bright a bright combo If you compare it for example with HD700. Still, it doesn't bother me, but I have to say I like sharp and fast sounds so... To each its own. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back