Q701 impressions thread
Nov 13, 2014 at 2:47 AM Post #8,162 of 9,602
Plenty of Vali's on ebay on the classifieds here.  Just be patient.

Nov 13, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #8,164 of 9,602
  So even if I can get the Bravo Audio Ocean for cheaper by almost $80 Canadian, how come people still recommend that I get the Schiit Vali? Is the Ocean that bad, or rather, is the Vali that good?

I have never heard either, so I can't say.  What I can say is that the Schiit products are very highly regarded on Head-fi (though some, including myself, would say they're over-hyped and FOTM) so a lot of people will be recommending them over the many viable alternatives.  

The fact is, the cheap Schiit products (like the Magni, Vali, Modi, etc) make much less sense when you're out of the country and they're not cheap anymore.

If you're paying nearly $200 for the Vali, it's no longer a good value.  There are plenty of other products in that price range that are worth considering.  Project Starlight, for example.  Or maybe the Little Dot.

I have no idea if the Bravo will work well with the Q701.  But for the price, it's worth trying.  If you don't like it, resell it.  Also, be sure to check out the classifieds on here for potential deals.

Nov 13, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #8,165 of 9,602
I have never heard either, so I can't say.  What I can say is that the Schiit products are very highly regarded on Head-fi (though some, including myself, would say they're over-hyped and FOTM) so a lot of people will be recommending them over the many viable alternatives.  

The fact is, the cheap Schiit products (like the Magni, Vali, Modi, etc) make much less sense when you're out of the country and they're not cheap anymore.

If you're paying nearly $200 for the Vali, it's no longer a good value.  There are plenty of other products in that price range that are worth considering.  Project Starlight, for example.  Or maybe the Little Dot.

I have no idea if the Bravo will work well with the Q701.  But for the price, it's worth trying.  If you don't like it, resell it.  Also, be sure to check out the classifieds on here for potential deals.

I'm not in a hurry to get an amp so I might save the money for now and just get the Little Dot 1+ eventually. Would that pair well with the Q701? I was told the MKII would not be ideal.

Nov 13, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #8,166 of 9,602
I'm not in a hurry to get an amp so I might save the money for now and just get the Little Dot 1+ eventually. Would that pair well with the Q701? I was told the MKII would not be ideal.

I've seen the LD 1+ recommended a lot in this thread.  Try doing a search for amp recommendations and see what you pull up.

Nov 13, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #8,167 of 9,602
I've seen the LD 1+ recommended a lot in this thread.  Try doing a search for amp recommendations and see what you pull up.

I did some more research and the LD1+ keeps popping up next to the Vali so I might skip the Ocean and go for it. It's my first amp so I might as well do it right haha. Thanks for the help. I'll return to this thread if and when I do get the LD1+.

Nov 13, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #8,169 of 9,602
Yeah, that makes sense to me. I think I would want to be able to replace the tubes anyway since they have a limited lifetime, right? I might just go with the Bravo Audio Ocean. Helps that it's a little cheaper for me too haha.

Some of the small signal tubes have a lifetime of 10,000 hours, that's a lot of headphone time! :D

Nov 13, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #8,170 of 9,602
Considering the MKII is an OTL design, it may not pair the best with the Q701's - it could do strange things to the treble. Perhaps someone else could chime in? The Vali is a safe bet, shame on the pricing!

I can kinda, sorta, almost chime in.
I have an OTL La Figaro 336C, it does sound rather bright with my Qs.
Not my "go to" amp for the Qs!

Nov 24, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #8,172 of 9,602
I see there is now an "AKG K7XX M******* First Edition Headphone" available for $199.99
(MSRP $649.99, really ?)
Talk about squeezing the last drop out of a design, I  have lost any respect I might have had for AKG (at least these don't have bumpy headbands
bigsmile_face.gif
)

Nov 24, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #8,173 of 9,602
  I see there is now an "AKG K7XX M******* First Edition Headphone" available for $199.99
(MSRP $649.99, really ?)
Talk about squeezing the last drop out of a design, I  have lost any respect I might have had for AKG (at least these don't have bumpy headbands
bigsmile_face.gif
)

It's just a rebranded Annie that gave Massdrop the legitimacy to stop being banned on Head-fi.  Nothing really to see here.  Except a fantastic deal on an Annie if you're looking.

Nov 26, 2014 at 6:29 AM Post #8,175 of 9,602
Hey guys, I'm about to pull the trigger on these but can't between decide between the white and black one. Can any long time owners of the white version comment on how easy or hard for it is for them to get dirty? I'm concerned about long time dirt smudging or smearing that may be hard to remove. I'm assuming the glossy finish of the white version makes dirt very easy to wipe off?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back