Q701 impressions thread
Nov 12, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #8,148 of 9,603
  I have the option of getting the Bravo Audio Ocean . How do these pair with the Q701 compared to the Schit Vali, which was my other choice?

You're going to want to edit out reference to that site.  It's against the forum rules here.

Sorry, I don't have any first-hand experience with either of those amps, can't help you with this.

Nov 12, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #8,149 of 9,603
Thanks, I edited it out. Yeah, a lot of people say the Vali is a good budget option, and I was willing to get it, but seeing how I can get the Ocean for a lower price and the fact that I can change its tubes, I wanted some input.

How much does the sound change in the Q701 when using different tubes in an amp? Is there noticeable difference enough for me to actually try and experiment with tube rolling? This is all new to me, sorry.

Nov 12, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #8,150 of 9,603
Made a new cable for my Q701s.  I was tempted to say "whipped up," but it turned out to be a labor of love.  It may be new toy syndrome, but to me I noticed an improvement over my previous DIY cable that used Mogami W2799 wire.  This uses 100/46 (100 strands, 46 gauge) x 4 type 2 Litz wire I got a few months back.  Cut back on a little harshness on a few things (Hugh Laurie and Steely Dan), but I won't be reaching for the Qs to listen to Rush, for example.  Not a favorable  combo, but then that's what the HiFiMAN cans are for 
wink.gif

Nov 12, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #8,151 of 9,603
Thanks, I edited it out. Yeah, a lot of people say the Vali is a good budget option, and I was willing to get it, but seeing how I can get the Ocean for a lower price and the fact that I can change its tubes, I wanted some input.

How much does the sound change in the Q701 when using different tubes in an amp? Is there noticeable difference enough for me to actually try and experiment with tube rolling? This is all new to me, sorry.

I can only tell you that I did some tube rolling with a pair of Beyer DT880 and a La Figaro 336C tube amp.
Tube rolling was very useful as all the NOS tubes I used were better than the stock Chinese tubes.
But when I was done, the sound didn't actually change in it's basic character, the amp only did what it originally did only better, the sound was more refined, clearer, cleaner, more transparent.
I hope that makes sense......:confused_face_2:

Nov 12, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #8,152 of 9,603
  Made a new cable for my Q701s.  I was tempted to say "whipped up," but it turned out to be a labor of love.  It may be new toy syndrome, but to me I noticed an improvement over my previous DIY cable that used Mogami W2799 wire.  This uses 100/46 (100 strands, 46 gauge) x 4 type 2 Litz wire I got a few months back.  Cut back on a little harshness on a few things (Hugh Laurie and Steely Dan), but I won't be reaching for the Qs to listen to Rush, for example.  Not a favorable  combo, but then that's what the HiFiMAN cans are for 
wink.gif

NICE.

Nov 12, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #8,153 of 9,603
I can only tell you that I did some tube rolling with a pair of Beyer DT880 and a La Figaro 336C tube amp.
Tube rolling was very useful as all the NOS tubes I used were better than the stock Chinese tubes.
But when I was done, the sound didn't actually change in it's basic character, the amp only did what it originally did only better, the sound was more refined, clearer, cleaner, more transparent.
I hope that makes sense......
confused_face_2.gif

Yeah, that makes sense to me. I think I would want to be able to replace the tubes anyway since they have a limited lifetime, right? I might just go with the Bravo Audio Ocean. Helps that it's a little cheaper for me too haha.

Nov 13, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #8,155 of 9,603
I was also leaning towards the Vali in the beginning, but the fact that I can get the Bravo Audio Ocean for almost $80 cheaper after shipping and all makes me seriously reconsider. And also, after shipping and conversion, the Vali runs me roughly $172 Canadian. For only $10 more, I can get myself a Little Dot MKII from a different source. So I guess it comes down to this: if the Ocean isn't even worth spending money on, and if the prices are roughly the same, which is better, the Vali or the MKII?

Nov 13, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #8,156 of 9,603
Considering the MKII is an OTL design, it may not pair the best with the Q701's - it could do strange things to the treble. Perhaps someone else could chime in? The Vali is a safe bet, shame on the pricing!

Nov 13, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #8,157 of 9,603
That was pricing based on ordering directly from Schiit. I tried their partners, but no luck. How can Canada be so close to the US and yet suffer this kind of shipping fee lol. It is beyond me.

Aside from the Vali, are there other choices? I've never owned an amp, so I guess the Objective 2 is always an option. The Little Dot 1+ is also available to me if that pairs better compared to the MKII. And again, I can get a pretty nice deal on the Ocean. Any thoughts?

Nov 13, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #8,158 of 9,603
doesn't amazon do a good deal on shipping the vali? and yes, I wouldn't pair cans that are not too sensitive with the little dot mk2 unless they are at least 250 ohms

Users who are viewing this thread

Back