Q701 impressions thread
Nov 1, 2014 at 3:28 AM Post #8,071 of 9,602
  True, I think it may interfere, it would probably make you ignore the Q's more than the HD 650s, that's what it would do for me. I like all my headphones to be fairly similar in their tuning but with different strengths and weaknesses. I generally like darker and warmer headphones on top of a warm system, though transparency, euphony, and clarity are musts for me and there has to be some highs, it can't be completely dark.

I would say the K712 gets about 60% of my headtime and the HD 600 about 40%. The DT 150's are being borrowed right now, but they got about the same amount of use as the HD 600. The K612 pretty much got replaced by the K712 and I'm probably going to sell it as I have a potential buyer. The Fostex T50RP isn't used as I don't like it and modding hasn't been successful, it also doesn't project sound into my ears properly, so I get a weird channel imbalance(tried reversing them and same effect, tells me my ears don't like how they project sound and not an actual channel imbalance) I don't get on a channel imbalance like this on my other headphones, so they are going to be sold sometime. I found I can't really have more than one headphone from the same brand if given they share a house sound, because one always gets ignored. 

Would you say the bass modded Q701's bass sounds like the K712? If so I'm just going to rip off the stickers and adjust my ears to the signature. I'm way too much of a purist... lol.
I'm that kind of person who'd spend $2 on an op amp to change the sound than use an EQ....

Nov 1, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #8,072 of 9,602

Would you say the bass modded Q701's bass sounds like the K712? If so I'm just going to rip off the stickers and adjust my ears to the signature. I'm way too much of a purist... lol.
I'm that kind of person who'd spend $2 on an op amp to change the sound than use an EQ....

I haven't heard the modded Q701. But I don't think it will sound the same in the bass, especially since it's more of a sub-bass boost whereas the K712 is more boosted a bit throughout the mid and upper bass. I'm quite sure the treble, midrange, and soundstaging are going to be different regardless. I'm a purist myself, I generally prefer to tube-roll and use different cables than to EQ or mod a headphone.

Nov 1, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #8,073 of 9,602
It made a small difference, didn't seem to ruin the mids or highs either just extended the bass a bit evening it out more.

I did a quick fix for the bumps. Cut a thin piece of foam and electrical taped it between the top bumps. Seems to help.

Nov 1, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #8,074 of 9,602

I'd have to say no, it will not make the Q701s sound like stock K712s, and not just in the bass.

Nov 1, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #8,075 of 9,602

IMO there is not more than a 5% difference in sound signature between the modded Q701 and K712.
I compared them both for a couple hours and it's in my K712 vs modded Q701 review. The K712 was new and my Q701 had thousands of hours with new pads.
The bass quantity and extension is basically the same to my ears.
Not enough difference for me to sell off my Q701 and get a K712.

If I had no headphone at all and could listen to both i'd probably just save $200+ and get a modded Q701.

If I had to choose between a stock Q701 (no mod ever) and a K712 i'd probably have a K712 by now.

I bet AKG wishes nobody ever found out about the Q701 mod!

I've had the Q701 modded since I first heard about it. I forced myself to go back to stock for a month and when I switch back to modded the difference was larger than I remember.

BTW if anyone is curious my HD-650 and modded Q701 are very close in sound too. My HD-650 is not veiled or dark at all. A bit smoother and more forgiving than the modded Q701. I split my time between them and find the HD-650 is less picky with gear and varies in sound less when switching sources and amps. Q701 has a much bigger soundstage and is more detailed perhaps. Oh and my HD-650 is a bit darker and more closed in sounding when I use a portable player and a portable amp. I rarely do this though. I sometimes even use the headphone jack on my generic bedroom TV with the HD-650! I have to have the volume set to 80/100 and I bet you can imagine how bad that sounds. Sounds like everything is so clumped together with no real soundstage. HD-650 to me just sounds bad and more muffled on warm gear. That's why I disliked it on the Asgard1 I think, but the HD-600 loved that amp.

I haven't bought any new headphones in a year and it's nice to have finally found 3 perfect headphones for what I need. Going to try those new Koss models when I have more money! I actually prefer the Koss TBSE to the HD-650 and Q701
biggrin.gif

Another BTW. I actually find the center image on the Q701 to be perfect. Sometimes it depends on the recording and even the DAC. I was pretty surprised at the difference in center image depth when comparing the ODAC to the Modi. I wonder what causes the change? Perhaps the Modi has slightly less treble extension than the ODAC and this could have something to do with it.

I couldn't believe how much the soundstage size improved though when I upgraded from the HRT MSII dac to the ODAC. MSII is really not as good as they say IMO. Really too warm and has a very closed in soundstage. Made the Q701 a bit harsher in the upper mids than it should be.

Nov 1, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #8,076 of 9,602

IMO there is not more than a 5% difference in sound signature between the modded Q701 and K712.
I compared them both for a couple hours and it's in my K712 vs modded Q701 review. The K712 was new and my Q701 had thousands of hours with new pads.

If I had no headphone at all and could listen to both i'd probably just save $200+ and get a modded Q701.

If I had to choose between a stock Q701 (no mod ever) and a K712 i'd probably have a K712 by now.

I've had the Q701 modded since I first heard about it. I forced myself to go back to stock for a month and when I switch back to modded the difference was larger than I remember.

BTW if anyone is curious my HD-650 and modded Q701 are very close in sound too. My HD-650 is not veiled or dark at all. A bit smoother and more forgiving than the modded Q701. I split my time between them and find the HD-650 is less picky with gear and varies in sound less when switching sources and amps. Q701 has a much bigger soundstage and is more detailed perhaps. Oh and my HD-650 is a bit darker and more closed in sounding when I use a portable player and a portable amp. I rarely do this though. I sometimes even use the headphone jack on my generic bedroom TV with the HD-650! I have to have the volume set to 80/100 and I bet you can imagine how bad that sounds. Sounds like everything is so clumped together with no real soundstage. HD-650 to me just sounds bad and more muffled on warm gear. That's why I disliked it on the Asgard1 I think, but the HD-600 loved that amp.

I haven't bought any new headphones in a year and it's nice to have finally found 3 perfect headphones for what I need. Going to try those new Koss models when I have more money! I actually prefer the Koss TBSE to the HD-650 and Q701
biggrin.gif

Another BTW. I actually find the center image on the Q701 to be perfect. Sometimes it depends on the recording and even the DAC. I was pretty surprised at the difference in center image depth when comparing the ODAC to the Modi. I wonder what causes the change? Perhaps the Modi has slightly less treble extension than the ODAC and this could have something to do with it.

I couldn't believe how much the soundstage size improved though when I upgraded from the HRT MSII dac to the ODAC. MSII is really not as good as they say IMO. Really too warm and has a very closed in soundstage. Made the Q701 a bit harsher in the upper mids than it should be.

Thanks for your insight on the Q701's modded vs K712! I read your review just now and I apologize that you had to re-type this >///<

I don't know if I want to remove the stickers again LOL, this would be my 9th time re-sticking if I were to take them off now. I always went back to stock because I feel unnerved that there's a potential soundstage missing. I'll try it again later I suppose for good old times =>

Edit: The Koss TBSE-1 is $90! Is it really that good? O_o

Edit 2: I tried the mod again, soundstage does indeed shrink a bit. Bass is more enjoyable and the Q701's become a more all-rounder headphone...It's more of a thumpy bass though. However I lost a bit on reverb detail. i.e. there's a part of the song where there's a lot of reverb on the vocalist, and I'm hearing less of the reverb. Although instruments that were very distant away in one channel is closer and comprehensible.. whoa. What the heck.

Everything sounds balanced and flat with the bass mod, my ears have no fatigue. Downside is that nothing sounds very exciting =(

I tried removing the grill and foam layer too. I could feel the sound just leak, mids are muffled and everything sounds soft.

I'm back to stock, I prefer a little midrange excitement and soundstage =P

Nov 1, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #8,077 of 9,602

biggrin.gif

You should be able to do better.   The Koss TBSE was on sale at Tuesday Mornings for $50 (about two years ago).  That is where and when I bought it.
gs1000.gif
I do not particularly like it. I find it somewhat "hollow."  This may be because I have never tried it with a proper amplifier. At similar price levels, I prefer the Beyerdynamic DT-235 and the Creative Aurvana Live!

Nov 1, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #8,078 of 9,602

Well, most people probably don't like it as much as me. I actually find it to have no real faults in it's sound in any way. It has my perfect signature and it's bass is better than the Q701/HD-650 IMO (and better low bass presence).
It seems it's sound could or can vary a lot between people. Maybe it's darker or bassier for some. For me it's just a fun headphone to listen to and I actually find it very neutral.
If I was in a studio i'd use it over an M50, V6 or SRH-840. It's more neutral than those to my ears. Even the K240 Studio.
It does have polite treble and harsh recordings are a tad smoother than they should be, but I like this!

I actually don't think it's as good without M50 pads. Those really improve it's sound and make it sound a little less closed in.

When I sit and listen to the HD-650, modded Q701 and TBSE there is not a massive difference between them. They all accurately produce my music as it's supposed to be. Of course the TBSE/DJ100 is closed and not as open and spacious sounding.

The TBSE for me is actually fuller sounding than the modded Q701 in it's mids and sounds more realistic overall. When I listen to something like The Buena Vista Social club it actually sounds better and more accurate on the TBSE, yet it's closed!

I actually think it benefits from my gear as much as the Q701 and HD-650 does. I actually refuse to use it without an external amp, but it can still sound OK or good from a portable player. Another thing I've found about the TBSE is that it's more revealing of gear changes than even my Q701 and HD-650. Not sure why. It's not like a DT-880 or T90 though.

I think if they made a closed  Q701 it'd probably sound close to the TBSE with M50 pads (and with a very good amp/dac). The K550 is nothing like the Q701 IMO. For me it was more like a K702 in it's mids, yet it had good bass. Good bass but yet very lean mids.

I hope those new Koss headphones sound even better than the TBSE. They even have memory foam pads! Maybe the soundstage is larger than that of the TBSE and they do better somehow without an amp.

Nov 2, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #8,079 of 9,602
I have the Q701 and the TBSE running off the monoprice desktop amp and I've gotta say. TBSE is a bit too bass shy for me. It lacked some extension and mid bass, but the bass is a slightly faster on TBSE compare to the Qs. I feel like the bass overall lacks noticeably compare to the Qs. TBSE is also a very slight edgier treble and noticeably forward mids compare to the Qs. Some songs sounds really nice with on the TBSE but it's far from a jack of all trades headphone imo.

I also have the m50 pads on it and I've tried stuffing tissues on the default pads. Between the two, I actually found the tissue pads to sound a bit more bassy. The only problem I have with TBSE is just that it sound way too thin and lacks authoritative lower end to sound musical. 

I feel like my impression and tdocks differ might be because the price I got my TBSE for. For 35 dollars I felt like it could have been a fake. :/

Nov 2, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #8,080 of 9,602

True, I think it may interfere, it would probably make you ignore the Q's more than the HD 650s, that's what it would do for me. I like all my headphones to be fairly similar in their tuning but with different strengths and weaknesses. I generally like darker and warmer headphones on top of a warm system, though transparency, euphony, and clarity are musts for me and there has to be some highs, it can't be completely dark.

I would say the K712 gets about 60% of my headtime and the HD 600 about 40%. The DT 150's are being borrowed right now, but they got about the same amount of use as the HD 600. The K612 pretty much got replaced by the K712 and I'm probably going to sell it as I have a potential buyer. The Fostex T50RP isn't used as I don't like it and modding hasn't been successful, it also doesn't project sound into my ears properly, so I get a weird channel imbalance(tried reversing them and same effect, tells me my ears don't like how they project sound and not an actual channel imbalance) I don't get on a channel imbalance like this on my other headphones, so they are going to be sold sometime. I found I can't really have more than one headphone from the same brand if given they share a house sound, because one always gets ignored. 

They sound similar but not identical. The K712 definitely gets a more coherent midrange vs. the modded Q701. 

Nov 2, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #8,085 of 9,602
Bass port MOD and SEX sounds nice the bass is deep and the treble is a bit smooth(to my ears at least).

Thanks.. Plans are crystallizing. Once past replacement of appliances, will pull trigger on BH SEX with upgrades and add attenuator bit later. Glad bass port mod works well with SEX.. Posts indicate SEX works well with HD650s, too..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back