Q701 impressions thread
Jul 24, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #7,306 of 9,602
I am pompously and self-importantly Pleased to Report that the AKG Q701s in lime green are among the "Top 10 Stylish Headphones" as reported on this site:  http://www.elakiri.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1272052

AKG Q701GRN Quincy Jones Signature Over the Ear Headphone (Green)

Good sound combined with fantastic design - this how i decribe these AKG Headphones. I have never seen better looking GREEN headphones before. And most imporant thing is that these Quincy Jones Signature Over the headphones actually have a really good sound and they are very comfortable. Man behind "Thriller" Quincy Jones thinks these headphones have one of the best sound quality ever. And he is really proud to have his name on them.
Price:-$237.90

AKGQ701GRN.PNG

Of COURSE, mine are Lime Green!

Jul 24, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #7,308 of 9,602
Jul 24, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #7,309 of 9,602
Just received my Q701 today. Guess now I'm on the Q701 appreciation train.
tongue_smile.gif
 Now I just need an actual amp/dac combo for this because the xonar dg sound card sounds god awful, sounds complete congested and lack every aspect of sound quality. I'm really tempted to get the new monoprice desktop amp, but I really don't have that much money or time to spend, so if somebody happens to tried the Q701 on the monoprice amp, please post a review. I'm also thinking about getting something like the fiio e07k or e17 or any other possible options that's not over 150 dollars. If anyone knows a good dac/amp combo with Q701 that sounds natural and fun, please do suggest!!! 
normal_smile .gif

Edit: Ops forgive my ignorance, will follow forum rule in future postings. 
tongue_smile.gif

First of all, no discussion about that site on here.  It's against forum rules.  You should probably edit your post.

Second, I suggest doing a search on this thread.  That question is asked regularly and there are plenty of great suggestions to be found.  

Welcome to Head-fi!  Sorry about your wallet!

Jul 24, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #7,310 of 9,602
  Just received my Q701 today xxxx. Guess now I'm on the Q701 appreciation train.
tongue_smile.gif
 Now I just need an actual amp/dac combo for this because the xonar dg sound card sounds god awful, sounds complete congested and lack every aspect of sound quality. I'm really tempted to get the new monoprice desktop amp, but I really don't have that much money or time to spend, so if somebody happens to tried the Q701 on the monoprice amp, please post a review. I'm also thinking about getting something like the fiio e07k or e17 or any other possible options that's not over 150 dollars. If anyone knows a good dac/amp combo with Q701 that sounds natural and fun, please do suggest!!! 
normal_smile .gif

First of all, no discussion about that site on here.  It's against forum rules.  You should probably edit your post.

Second, I suggest doing a search on this thread.  That question is asked regularly and there are plenty of great suggestions to be found.  

Jul 24, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #7,311 of 9,602
  Just received my Q701 today. Guess now I'm on the Q701 appreciation train.
tongue_smile.gif
normal_smile .gif

Edit: Ops forgive my ignorance, will follow forum rule in future postings. 
tongue_smile.gif

Schiit Magni/Modi is a well regarded combo

Jul 24, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #7,314 of 9,602
Got my Q701 for a week now thanks to [Mod Edit: Nice try, but no.],
since I already owned an annie, the discomfort of the Q701 got my attention right away.

Has anything try to flip the headband of the Q701 so that the bumpers are not against your head?
Is this a perm solution?

saw too many headband mod and i am not very confident I can do any of them myself.

please help.

Jul 25, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #7,315 of 9,602
i combined what a couple other people here have done, i knifed the lumps off with an exacto knife and then used some high density foam strips (they sell a 25' roll for like 3 bucks at your local hardware store, they're used for weather stripping / insulating) to line it with. i put two strips down the length of the headband, then wrapped the entire thing in felt (adhesive felt - $2 from a crafts store). doesn't require opening anything up to remove the headband, much more comfortable for me now, and doesnt look too hacked together :p

Jul 25, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #7,316 of 9,602
  i combined what a couple other people here have done, i knifed the lumps off with an exacto knife and then used some high density foam strips (they sell a 25' roll for like 3 bucks at your local hardware store, they're used for weather stripping / insulating) to line it with. i put two strips down the length of the headband, then wrapped the entire thing in felt (adhesive felt - $2 from a crafts store). doesn't require opening anything up to remove the headband, much more comfortable for me now, and doesnt look too hacked together :p

Soymilk was the knifing difficult at all?
the only reason i thought of just flip the headband was to not do any permanent damage.
but now i am almost convinced that might be harder to just cut out the bumps.

Jul 25, 2014 at 2:21 AM Post #7,317 of 9,602
  Soymilk was the knifing difficult at all?
the only reason i thought of just flip the headband was to not do any permanent damage.
but now i am almost convinced that might be harder to just cut out the bumps.

nah, it was pretty easy. it's just the pleather (fake leather?) material, cuts pretty easily. then underneath that is the foam inside of each bump that's glued to the headband. if you're adding a layer of foam like i did, you don't have to be too neat / even with cutting out the lumps, since the layer of foam you put on top will cover that up. if you only wanted to make it flat to have a flat headband instead of one with bumps, it might take a bit more work to shave them down so they're all even.

from feeling the material/flex of the headband, i think the headband itself is a plastic strip? so you shouldn't really be at risk of damaging anything other than the lumps unless you're going at it with a butcher knife or something.

Jul 25, 2014 at 5:35 AM Post #7,318 of 9,602
That's so much work. Here's my simple way to do it for those who don't want to hurt their headphones.. I don't feel the bumps at all :)

It's low density foam so it pushes down really easily and doesn't take up much space when you wear it.

Jul 25, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #7,319 of 9,602
there's something else that cannot be fix through methods like this,
especially If you have a larger head,
covering the bumps will further increase clamp force.
but i guess that is not a problem for people with small head.

Jul 25, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #7,320 of 9,602
I asked myself if one could just flip the band... I say probably/yes, another user said it was probably too stiff in his opinion. I might try it sometime soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back