Q701 impressions thread
Jul 22, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #7,261 of 9,602
Meh. Too plastic-tastic. Doesn't look as good IRL (black one does, but not white/green). Also uncomfortable as **** because of that stupid headband. Sounds fantastic, though. I think I might try out the AKG K712s sometime. They look promising. Any thoughts, guys?

Pretty much the same stuff. Much nicer looking etc... I find them over priced. Don't get me wrong... having the Q's at its price I mean.

The ad700 is one of the ugliest headphones I've ever seen. The q701 is one of, if not the most sexy headphone I've ever seen. That's why I was so stoked to try it since it got a 9.5 rating for gaming in mad lust's thread.

Maybe you should try going higher 500-1000-ish... the Q's are the BEST bang for the buck, reason for the rating, and super sexy... (the k712 is sexier though)

Jul 22, 2014 at 3:11 AM Post #7,262 of 9,602
Maybe you should try going higher 500-1000-ish... the Q's are the BEST bang for the buck, reason for the rating, and super sexy... (the k712 is sexier though)

I'm just gonna stick with the ad700's. I colored them with a black marker so they don't look as ugly...

Jul 22, 2014 at 3:46 AM Post #7,264 of 9,602
  HD800. Period. Pffff... Can't wait to stop wasting money in stupid things like quadcopters, 3d printing, tuitions and cars (used crappy ones) to save for one of these... but man, they are a bunch of bucks...

Do it mate, its worth the endeavor! I mean, they are a bit picky I admit, but if you persevere with it and tailor your system specifically the result would be very rewarding. Its like a buffed up Q701 (even bigger soundstage, more textured & tighter bass, smoother highs), while fixing its drawbacks (non-existent bass, harsh highs/sibilance, obvious super-stereo effect).

Jul 22, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #7,265 of 9,602

Meh. Too plastic-tastic. Doesn't look as good IRL (black one does, but not white/green). Also uncomfortable as **** because of that stupid headband. Sounds fantastic, though. I think I might try out the AKG K712s sometime. They look promising. Any thoughts, guys?

Though I pined for the Q701s, I initially got the K712s.  They have 3 dB more bass, but they still were not the headphones I went to for bass music.  They were masterful, but not exciting.

So I traded it away, STILL pined for the Q701s, and they just arrived yesterday.

FABULOUS!  Great soundstage, transparent, and yes, COMFORTABLE.  They have the eight bumps under the headband, but even with my bald head, I notice no discomfort.

I also got a Sony PHA-1 DAC/amp, which sounds truly fantastic with them and with other headphones.  But if you are content with medium volume, the Q701s are driven just fine by an iPod 5G.

Oh, and they ARE Lime Green!

Jul 22, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #7,266 of 9,602
I have HD-25 II for closed and Q701 (bass mod) for open. North of there, the only things that I've heard that put forth a good value for money proposition are the LCD-XC (which I seemed to like more than the -X!) and LCD-3 (and far above those the Abyss and SR-009!) That's not to say there aren't better headphones north of the HD25 and Q701 - there most definitely are many - just that I don't think there are any that give big enough improvements to be worth the asked large amounts of extra cash.

Put another way the "budget" headphones sector is very competitive and you can get a lot of performance for 150-200.

All IMHO - the usual disclaimer about head/ear shape making headphones very subjective.

Jul 22, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #7,267 of 9,602
  I have HD-25 II for closed and Q701 for open. North of there, the only things that I've heard that put forth a good value for money proposition are the LCD-XC (which I seemed to like more than the the -X!) and LCD-3 (and far above those the Abyss and SR-009!) That's not to say there aren't better headphones north of the HD25 and Q701 - there most definitely are many - just that I don't think there are any that give big enough improvements to be worth the necessary large amounts of extra cash.

I agree with you. The amount of cash spent on higher end headphones there are little improvements. 

Jul 22, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #7,268 of 9,602

I'm just following up that it's possible to move the restraining bars for the headband without breaking and regluing.  If you can insert something small enough in the seam between the two pieces that are glued together across the metal frame, you can slide the restraining bar up. 

If your Q701 isn't too small for you but you want to wrap around the headband a competitor's headband cushion (I don't know if Beyerdynamic's would fit), you'll probably find a little extra space useful.

I'm a new owner too. Does anyone have any idea as to what to use to stick in between the restraining bar to move it up? The headphone fits on my head, but it's a little tight and I feel a bit more space on both sides would increase the comfort.

Jul 22, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #7,269 of 9,602

Though I pined for the Q701s, I initially got the K712s.  They have 3 dB more bass, but they still were not the headphones I went to for bass music.  They were masterful, but not exciting.

So I traded it away, STILL pined for the Q701s, and they just arrived yesterday.

FABULOUS!  Great soundstage, transparent, and yes, COMFORTABLE.  They have the eight bumps under the headband, but even with my bald head, I notice no discomfort.

I also got a Sony PHA-1 DAC/amp, which sounds truly fantastic with them and with other headphones.  But if you are content with medium volume, the Q701s are driven just fine by an iPod 5G.

I guess I am not the only person who finds the headband (bumps  all) perfectly comfortable.

Jul 22, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #7,270 of 9,602

I guess I am not the only person who finds the headband (bumps  all) perfectly comfortable.

I also have no comfort problem with the Q701 headband and am bald.  Maybe we should start a new thread. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 22, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #7,271 of 9,602

I'm very happy with the comfort of the q701's as well :)

Jul 22, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #7,273 of 9,602
  really? no one here taking my post seriously? 

I bet you could fit some Shure alcantara pads in there too.  Triple-decker sonic awesomeness!

Jul 22, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #7,275 of 9,602
I've decided that the Q701's are in fact one of the most comfortable cans I've ever tried... pads are near perfection, headband bumps are no problem, and the suspension works really well. Plus... they're light, and I can wear them when my (quite short) hair is wet after I shower (I like the way my hair dries naturally without excessive manual drying), unlike with Audeze vegan pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back