Q701 impressions thread
Jul 6, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #7,126 of 9,602

There is a youtube video describing how to do just that.  I found it a little hard to follow, and didn't bother, since I have just enough room.  Search for it, but I'll try to post the link here.

Thanks for the quick response!  I'm searching right now but so far without results.  If I find it, I'll post it.

Jul 6, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #7,127 of 9,602
Thanks for the quick response!  I'm searching right now but so far without results.  If I find it, I'll post it.

I updated my previous post with the link.  Be prepared to "break" and glue, but it seems doable.

Jul 6, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #7,129 of 9,602
  Which one. The Vali/Modi stack or the Audio GD NFB 15?

Both really... but I meant the NFB-15. And with regards to choosing the 11 or 15 to whoever asked... if you're worried about finding the cans to be too thin or dry, the 15 could help with that. For emphasizing these cans' strong suits, 11. My NFB-28 has the Sabre like the 11... I think after the bass mod + burn-in, the Sabre + slightly smooth AGD house sound will really be best in the long run. I've never heard any AGD Wolfson models like the 15, fyi. Both are reported to be top notch products, I doubt choosing the less synergistic one to your ears over the other would ruin the experience for you. The differences are always smaller than you read about for gear!

Jul 6, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #7,130 of 9,602

True, but some people reported good results with just a Vali.  Most headphones don't have the resolving power to distinguish between upstream gear and recordings like a HD800, plus most people who buy an HD800 have the dough or are willing to spend upwards of $1000 for an amp.

Quote:
   It wont changed your Q to HD but in my experienced coming from Audioengine D1 DAC to TEAC-U-DH01 DAC is a huge deference in terms of Q's sound.My current set up is PC + TEAC + Littledot 1+ Q701=
atsmile.gif
beyersmile.png
L3000.gif
biggrin.gif

According to this blind test, maybe the HD800 doesn't have enough resolving power to tell apart different DACs, or maybe we are just all fools to think otherwise.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/high-end-pc-audio,3733.html

According to WHAT/WHO you did not even probably did the A/Bying so you are pointing out other peoples words and thoughts that is not good.I'am talking about my experienced  between two DAC's With the Audioegine D1 the bass sound bloated but with the TEAC it's not bloated and the highs sound smoother with the Q701.SORRY i don't have a link for YOU.
wink.gif

Jul 6, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #7,131 of 9,602
  According to WHAT/WHO you did not even probably did the A/Bying so you are pointing out other peoples words and thoughts that is not good.I'am talking about my experienced  between two DAC's With the Audioegine D1 the bass sound bloated but with the TEAC it's not bloated and the highs sound smoother with the Q701.SORRY i don't have a link for YOU.
wink.gif

Not saying you are wrong, but have you done a blind test yourself and be able to distinguish between the two DACs?

Jul 6, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #7,132 of 9,602

wink.gif

Not saying you are wrong, but have you done a blind test yourself and be able to distinguish between the two DACs?

Yes three of us in my house.sorry! if i offended you
beerchug.gif

Jul 6, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #7,133 of 9,602

I'm just following up that it's possible to move the restraining bars for the headband without breaking and regluing.  If you can insert something small enough in the seam between the two pieces that are glued together across the metal frame, you can slide the restraining bar up. 

If your Q701 isn't too small for you but you want to wrap around the headband a competitor's headband cushion (I don't know if Beyerdynamic's would fit), you'll probably find a little extra space useful.

Jul 6, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #7,135 of 9,602
Both really... but I meant the NFB-15. And with regards to choosing the 11 or 15 to whoever asked... if you're worried about finding the cans to be too thin or dry, the 15 could help with that. For emphasizing these cans' strong suits, 11. My NFB-28 has the Sabre like the 11... I think after the bass mod + burn-in, the Sabre + slightly smooth AGD house sound will really be best in the long run. I've never heard any AGD Wolfson models like the 15, fyi. Both are reported to be top notch products, I doubt choosing the less synergistic one to your ears over the other would ruin the experience for you. The differences are always smaller than you read about for gear!

I find the 15 to perfectly suit the Q701, but it's a little warm for some other cans. From what I've read, the 11 will be a better all-arounder as it's mite neutral. Since I don't plan on changing off the Q anytime soon, the 15 is the better choice for me.

Jul 6, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #7,136 of 9,602
I find the 15 to perfectly suit the Q701, but it's a little warm for some other cans. From what I've read, the 11 will be a better all-arounder as it's mite neutral. Since I don't plan on changing off the Q anytime soon, the 15 is the better choice for me.

What have you compared the 15 to?

Jul 6, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #7,137 of 9,602
What have you compared the 15 to?

Directly? The Matrix Mstage (amp only) and Yulong D100. I love the Yulong but the 15 paired slightly better and I like the HP/DAC switch on the front of the 15.

Jul 6, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #7,138 of 9,602
About a month ago I picked up an ifi iCan and I really like it with the Q701s.

My Q701s are stock, so the bass boost switch is a great thing to have.  The lower level seems to really hit the sweet spot, but when playing game or listening to some electronic music the higher level works perfectly.

I also really, really like the 3D sound switch.  For older stereo recording that way too right and left, think Beatles stereo recordings, the switch comes in handy.  When playing games flipping it to the wide sound stage mode is awesome and expands the already large Q701 sound stage.

It's got plenty of power and all of the additions actually provide something useful in various situations.  Visually, I think it looks great too.  The bottom of the case does have gain jumper switches, so you can chose from low, medium and high gain.

I got mine open box from Music Direct, so mine was just north of $200.  A great deal!

Jul 7, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #7,139 of 9,602
  About a month ago I picked up an ifi iCan and I really like it with the Q701s.

My Q701s are stock, so the bass boost switch is a great thing to have.  The lower level seems to really hit the sweet spot, but when playing game or listening to some electronic music the higher level works perfectly.

I also really, really like the 3D sound switch.  For older stereo recording that way too right and left, think Beatles stereo recordings, the switch comes in handy.  When playing games flipping it to the wide sound stage mode is awesome and expands the already large Q701 sound stage.

It's got plenty of power and all of the additions actually provide something useful in various situations.  Visually, I think it looks great too.  The bottom of the case does have gain jumper switches, so you can chose from low, medium and high gain.

I got mine open box from Music Direct, so mine was just north of $200.  A great deal!

I tried that too with the Q701 and it's a perfect match. It's a little pricey at full retail , but around $200 is a good deal. If I wasn't using my Micro Amp (which is also amazing with the Q701) i'd probably buy the ican or try a Matrix M-Stage.

I think the top 3 amps i've heard for the Q701 are the Vali, Micro and ican. It's really too bad Headroom no longer makes amps. I've been loving my Micro ever since getting it back in 2011 or so.

I really need to try the M-Stage! I think the next amp i'll try is the Lyr 2 or Valhalla. Lyr 2 is really too expensive (for me) considering I only listen to music a few hours a day..if that.

Oh and the Ifi is also a perfect "all-rounder". It seemed to sound great with everything I threw at it. This seems very rare. I actually consider the ican and my Micro a step something like an O2. They actually sound more transparent.

Jul 7, 2014 at 6:48 AM Post #7,140 of 9,602

Thanks, this is helpful. I am veering towards the NFB 15s because of what you wrote. But, do you think the extra expense is really worth with the NFB 15 over the Modi/Vali stack. Is the NFB actually better than the Modi/Vali or are we just talking taste?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back