Q701 impressions thread
Nov 30, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #4,847 of 9,602
  Just got my white Q701s from Amazon, they're the Made in Austria version \o/

Gratz mate, welcome to the club and sorry for your wallet. Hope you'd enjoy it, I know I would!

Nov 30, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #4,850 of 9,602
  Now I have to wait for my amp to come on Monday :frowning2: Trying to use them now without it and it's not a pleasant experience. 

What amp are you getting for them if I may ask?

Dec 1, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #4,853 of 9,602
Hello everybody,

a satisfied Q701 owner here. Finally decided to get a proper amplifier for it.

What desktop amp that costs around 400$ (no more than 500$ shipped) other than the Lyr would you recommend?
Side note: it should pair well with HiFiman HE-400 I just ordered.

I've already looked at O2 and M-Stage but both don't go so well with the HE-400. Any other suggestions?

What is it you don't like about the HE-400 and the M Stage?

I've heard some say that the O2 doesn't go well with the Q701.

Dec 1, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #4,855 of 9,602
  I was looking at this amp for my Q but the thing is, mine is  modded and i'm not planning to undo the mod because it works good with my LD.is your Q modded?

It's perfectly fine with the modded Q701 too. I have the Vali and so far it's really good with the modded Q701. No real complaints yet. I have only 1-2 hours of listening with the Vali and Q701 and will listen more on my next day off.
It sounds neutral to me and without much coloration to the sound of the Q701.

Basically just imagine an O2 with slightly fuller mids (barely detectable) and very very slightly smoother treble. The bass seems fairly well controlled, but not so much on my 38ohm DJ100.

The sound of the Vali to me is crystal clear to me yet it's not thin, bright or treble happy. It definitely won't smooth over your bright/harsh tracks.

I haven't used a tube amp before (I know this is a hybrid), but this is totally not what I expected from an amp with tubes inside!

Dec 1, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #4,856 of 9,602

It's perfectly fine with the modded Q701 too. I have the Vali and so far it's really good with the modded Q701. No real complaints yet. I have only 1-2 hours of listening with the Vali and Q701 and will listen more on my next day off.
It sounds neutral to me and without much coloration to the sound of the Q701.

Basically just imagine an O2 with slightly fuller mids (barely detectable) and very very slightly smoother treble. The bass seems fairly well controlled, but not so much on my 38ohm DJ100.

The sound of the Vali to me is crystal clear to me yet it's not thin, bright or treble happy. It definitely won't smooth over your bright/harsh tracks.

I haven't used a tube amp before (I know this is a hybrid), but this is totally not what I expected from an amp with tubes inside!

Thanks.

Dec 2, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #4,857 of 9,602
It has been a little over two years since I sold my K701.  I moved it on because the T1 was clearly a better all round headphone.  I have had quite a few headphones since (including T1, LCD2, W3000ANV, Signature Pro) but for specific acoustic music, I miss the K701 sound.  The airy sound-stage, the mid/high emphasis, the unique sound signature.  I don't want greater bass or any other "improvements" I just want that K701 magic back.  So I have just ordered a Black Q701 (my favourite look of the AKGs) and hope that it delivers that K701 sound as I remember it.

Dec 3, 2013 at 4:50 AM Post #4,858 of 9,602
  It has been a little over two years since I sold my K701.  I moved it on because the T1 was clearly a better all round headphone.  I have had quite a few headphones since (including T1, LCD2, W3000ANV, Signature Pro) but for specific acoustic music, I miss the K701 sound.  The airy sound-stage, the mid/high emphasis, the unique sound signature.  I don't want greater bass or any other "improvements" I just want that K701 magic back.  So I have just ordered a Black Q701 (my favourite look of the AKGs) and hope that it delivers that K701 sound as I remember it.

There are subtle differences... But I thinks its for the better. I've had many K's over the years and the latest batch is the most natural sounding to my ears, especially with acoustic instruments. The soundstage is still very big but is now more focused and centered. There is more body to instruments and this gives a more realistic tone. Still the same sound characteristics though, as they are the same drivers. 

Keep us informed. 
popcorn.gif

Dec 3, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #4,859 of 9,602

It WONT! But..it will be even better! Well hopefully..
To my ears the Q701 is an upgrade over the K701 and K702, but again it all comes down to preferences.

Dec 3, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #4,860 of 9,602

The new Schiit Vali is a great match for the Q701 if anyone was interested. Really gives a nice little warm touch to the bass. I'll post a little bit more later.

I am interested, posted as much on the last page. I await your further details.

To others, I am having a dilemma:
Anyone else own K712 and Q701?
What I'm hearing: both are great, and both are great for gaming or movies or music, but... I played several hours of CoD Ghosts today, swapping headphones between rounds, and I was having a hard time distinguishing between them. I had both of them hooked up to my Xbox360 as source, Turtle Beach DSS as surround processor and DAC, and FiiO E12 as amp, with all boosts and tweaks off.

Reading my notes, at first I felt that the bass was tighter on the K712 Pros while the Q701 actually had MORE bass "power" (background info: I've been enjoying my Q701's A LOT since buying them a year and a half ago), and the treble slightly smoother on the K712. After that initial impression however, I couldn't sense the difference anymore after I switched back, and things like virtual surround, footstep detail/separation, sound fatigue didn't seem to mark an appreciable contrast. I didn't feel there was more air on the Q701, nor warmer presentation on the K712. When the sun set and I started swapping the headphones without really looking to see which one I was putting on, I totally forgot which one I was currently wearing after a while (padded my Q701 headband, so they both disappear after a while). I did note that it was nice to be able to switch to a cool set of pads... lol.

A short background, I listened to the K712 exclusively for two and a half months, and then half a month ago I began using either AKG as they were in reach. During those first two months of learning the K712, I felt "Oh, I think I've gained a bit of Mids presence I was looking for, and the treble seems a little smoother. Yay!" However, I still felt the change was more akin to "tweak" than immediately obvious. Today was the first time I tested them both side-to-side, within auditory memory of eachother. I think I should be able to hear differences well, back when I used to play Violin I was able to tune the strings repeatedly to basically as good as my tuner (often could play both my tuned strings and the tuner at the same time, and not hear a beat), and even if my 27 year old ears don't have the range or are as good as they once were, I would not think my sense of tonality would change.

So, either my ears are not sensitive enough, my ears/brain got fatigued/burned out by the length of my testing session, or these headphones are really just a lot more comparable than contrasting considering their price difference. In a way, that's good, because I fell in love with the AKG house sound the first time I heard my Q's, but I had hoped to get more out of the K712.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back