Q701 impressions thread
May 15, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #9,406 of 9,602
Of course the amps own signature can make a difference, but raw power won't change anything alone. To get more power, there's usually changes in topology that would probably be correlated with changes in sound.

Agreed!

Jun 14, 2016 at 4:00 AM Post #9,407 of 9,602
These cans surprise me every time, again and again.

I've done a few mods; bass mod where I removed the stickers behind the driver and headband mod that got rid of the annoying bumbs. Headband is replaced with a strip of leather. This mod reduced the clamping force too, which was nice.

I feel this is how they should have been from the factory, I'm so glad I modded them.

Jun 14, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #9,408 of 9,602
I have both the AKG Q701 (two years now) and ATH-M50x that I just picked up. I also have a Asus Xonar Essence STX soundcard (two years now). I prefer the ATH over the AKG for csgo gaming as I like the more bass punch. (I game 95% FPS). I have my soundcard set at extra high gain, but only keep my volume around 60% which is more than enough for both my AKG and ATH. Now I do hear hissing a lot more with the ATH's than I do with the AKG and I am thinking it is because I have the extra gain setting on. Recently I decided to upgrade my computer to a custom water loop and with the soundcard I think it will ruin the aesthetics of my loop. So I have been thinking about selling the card and picking up an external amp. This will be a lot easier to switch out my headphones as well. As right now I have to unplug them from the back of the PC which can be a hassle. 

So I have been looking at the FIIO E10K. It looks pretty good at a good price. I know if I go this route I will lose Dobly, yes? I have been gaming in dolby for two years now. So hopefully it won't be that much of a change. Would I be downgrading by selling my soundcard and picking up with E10k? 

Jun 17, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #9,409 of 9,602
  Would I be downgrading by selling my soundcard and picking up with E10k? 

I don't think so. Might help with the hissing even, I'm not sure how well shielded the Xonars are.

Jun 29, 2016 at 2:42 AM Post #9,410 of 9,602
I looked into the Q701 today and saw a lot of complaints about its rattling problem. Does anyone has any experience with that? I have (and love) the AKG K7xx, however I hate the K701/702 so I'd like to see how the Q701 fares, but all these reports are unnerving.

Jun 29, 2016 at 3:19 AM Post #9,411 of 9,602
  I looked into the Q701 today and saw a lot of complaints about its rattling problem. Does anyone has any experience with that? I have (and love) the AKG K7xx, however I hate the K701/702 so I'd like to see how the Q701 fares, but all these reports are unnerving.

If you like K7xx and hate K701/K702 then going Q701 is not a safe route.
Have you tried HD700?

Jun 29, 2016 at 4:21 AM Post #9,412 of 9,602
No I have not. I've seen people mention that Q701 is more musical than K701/K702. As I'm trying it shouldn't be a problem if I don't like it, I'm just afraid that if I had to return a pair that suffers from rattle then it will be a hassle for people living in South East Asia like me.

Jun 29, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #9,413 of 9,602
  No I have not. I've seen people mention that Q701 is more musical than K701/K702. As I'm trying it shouldn't be a problem if I don't like it, I'm just afraid that if I had to return a pair that suffers from rattle then it will be a hassle for people living in South East Asia like me.

Many reports of Q701 being pretty much the same as K701, although silent changes happens.
HD700 on the other hand is warmer and clearer with just as good if not even better soundstage.
Try it if you have a chance.

Jun 29, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #9,414 of 9,602

Many reports of Q701 being pretty much the same as K701, although silent changes happens.
HD700 on the other hand is warmer and clearer with just as good if not even better soundstage.
Try it if you have a chance.

Will try the HD700, but then it's on another price range entirely. I'm totally cool with losing 20-50 dollards when I resell the Q701 if I don't like it, but if it's the HD700 then the loss would be much more. And not many people in my country seem to have the HD700. Too bad.

Jun 29, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #9,415 of 9,602
  Will try the HD700, but then it's on another price range entirely. I'm totally cool with losing 20-50 dollards when I resell the Q701 if I don't like it, but if it's the HD700 then the loss would be much more. And not many people in my country seem to have the HD700. Too bad.

Well, yeah...
Subtle improvements over the (already very good) AKG 7-series tend to cost serious amounts of money and even then trying before buying is always the wise move.

Jul 4, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #9,416 of 9,602

Try the Stax SRS-2170.
To my ears, it sounds like a Q701 improved.

Jul 4, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #9,417 of 9,602
Try the Stax SRS-2170.
To my ears, it sounds like a Q701 improved.

Thanks a lot but it also costs a lot more :frowning2: If I were willing to spend that amount I'd go for Grado PS1000e or Sennheiser HD800.

I'm totally fine with shelling out about $160 for the Q701 just to try its sound signature, and also totally fine with losing about $50 to sell it if I don't like it. My main concern is that there are a lot of reports saying the China-made version suffers from rattle or other defect. Has anyone here used a Q701 that is defective in some way? Cos if I'm unfortunate enough to buy such a pair, I will not be able to sell it in my country and it's very troublesome for me to return it to the US.

Jul 5, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #9,418 of 9,602
  Thanks a lot but it also costs a lot more :frowning2: If I were willing to spend that amount I'd go for Grado PS1000e or Sennheiser HD800.

I'm totally fine with shelling out about $160 for the Q701 just to try its sound signature, and also totally fine with losing about $50 to sell it if I don't like it. My main concern is that there are a lot of reports saying the China-made version suffers from rattle or other defect. Has anyone here used a Q701 that is defective in some way? Cos if I'm unfortunate enough to buy such a pair, I will not be able to sell it in my country and it's very troublesome for me to return it to the US.

My K702 was made in China and it sounded great. Driver matching was among the best I've ever seen.

Jul 5, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #9,419 of 9,602

The Stax is approximately half the price of the Grado PS1000e or the Senn HD800.
The Stax includes headphones and an amp, so arguably is a few dollars more than the Q701 plus a good amp.

Anyway, the Stax is more expensive than just the Q701 so I do see your point!

Jul 23, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #9,420 of 9,602
Hey folks! I picked up a set of vintage late 70's early 80's K240 Monitors 600Ohm for $10 CND (one heck of a restoration story, but that is for another thread) and loved the sound so much I decided to purchase a pair of Q701. Bought them gently used in flawless condition for $150 CND; The ear pads are not even broken in. So far I am really enjoying their sound. Not much to add that hasn't already been covered in the past 628 pages. I will add my 2 cents though.

Firstly, I don't find the Q701 bass light at all. Personally I think the mid-bass has great kick, and when needed the sub bass has enough weight that for most music I never feel they are weak. Yes, compared to other headphones they can be lacking in quantity, but that's a matter of reference (and preference). I also find the 8-bump headband pretty comfortable, only digging in after a few hours of use. I don't mind this as I see it as a friendly reminder that technically I should take a break. All in all, they are a fantastic pair of headphones and a great addition and compliment to my collection.

For those who feel that the Q701's need some more oomph, I would like to throw in a suggestion that greatly increases the bass, adding more kick and awesome weight, without adding bloat while still maintaining it's detail. It's a somewhat costly solution, however it's really super quick 'n easy to do and completely reversible, and so worth it!

tongue.gif

Anyway, while I don't mind the long 9' cable as I can snake it behind my monitors, I did order a 1.2m 5N OCC cable from eBay. I have the same cable for my HD598 and it sounds freaking fantastic!

I will report back once this bad-boy arrives!

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back