Q701 impressions thread
Feb 9, 2016 at 2:43 AM Post #9,286 of 9,602
Thank you Jodgey4. I might give A2 a try and decide with 2 weeks if I will keep it or not.
I got my Q yesterday and I am solely listening to them. Would like to give it more time before I decided to return it. I think I had different signature in mind, brighter.

Feb 9, 2016 at 6:24 AM Post #9,287 of 9,602
Thank you Jodgey4. I might give A2 a try and decide with 2 weeks if I will keep it or not.
I got my Q yesterday and I am solely listening to them. Would like to give it more time before I decided to return it. I think I had different signature in mind, brighter.

Other than HD800's and Q701's, I found Grado headphones to be fun, punchy and brighter. Not in the treble region though, just the upper mids. With the cost of rolled off highs to prevent fatigue, and discomfort due to the foam pads. There's also audiotechnica art ADX models but their bass is less punchy and the overall signature is smooth. Looks like you're satisfied with your Beyer'990's though :)

Feb 9, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #9,288 of 9,602
I did like the 990 during the 30 minutes listening when I first got it but since then I didn't listen to it (whispering, burrrrrning it in).
I would like to give both cans a fair amount of time, like 2 weeks, before I decide whether to keep them or not.
Still deciding if I want to order the A2 or not so I don't blame myself I in the future.

Feb 9, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #9,289 of 9,602
Have a question. Would the Asgrad2 be a good match for the Q701? How it would change the sound signature?

I currently have iBasso D14 dac/amp and while it produces enough volume, the max I could listen to is in high gain at 3 o'clock while the majority of songs I have them on high gain at 12 and some lower. However, I am not that impressed with the Q so far and I feel a better amp could help it but not sure which one and to what extent.
Please keep in mind I like bright cans with lots of clarity and details.
I also ordered the DT990Pro 250ohm with the Q and I like it much more than the Q (better details, punchier, clearer, crispier)
My source is my Sony laptop, Samsung galaxy 6 edge+.

A DAC would help and for the AMP i prefer any VINTAGE RECEIVER/AMP that can be had for cheap and they can be use with speakers too.

Feb 9, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #9,290 of 9,602

The Matrix M-Stage is an excellent amp and works really well with the Q's.

Feb 9, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #9,291 of 9,602
The Matrix M-Stage is an excellent amp and works really well with the Q's.

I have near future plan to order HE-400i or HE-560, would the Matrix M Stage drive them?

I was suggested Gustard H10 but the thing is no one in the States sells them in a new condition

Matrix's amp prices looks very reasonable and many praise it but I would like to purchase an amp for my Q and 990 plus the one of the HiFiMan's above.

Feb 9, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #9,292 of 9,602
I have near future plan to order HE-400i or HE-560, would the Matrix M Stage drive them?

I was suggested Gustard H10 but the thing is no one in the States sells them in a new condition

Matrix's amp prices looks very reasonable and many praise teeth but I would like to purchase an amp for my Q and 990 plus the one of the HiFiMan's above.

I really enjoyed the gustard h10 with my q701's, even more so with 400i's.

If u can wait a bit massdrop has it frequently for 299.99.

Lots of good info and great people on the H10 thread.

Feb 9, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #9,293 of 9,602
I really enjoyed the gustard h10 with my q701's, even more so with 400i's.

If u can wait a bit massdrop has it frequently for 299.99.

Lots of good info and great people on the H10 thread.

I think massdrop is the best route.

Beside H10, what other amps you used with the Q and how did the sound differ between those amps?

Thank you

Feb 9, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #9,294 of 9,602

Matrix's amp prices looks very reasonable and many praise teeth but I would like to purchase an amp for my Q and 990 plus the one of the HiFiMan's above.

Can't comment on the HE400i and HE560 as I've never heard them, but I used to use it with my HE500 and it drove them fine.

They pop up from time to time on the F/S forum here for around $150ish I believe.

Feb 10, 2016 at 4:06 AM Post #9,296 of 9,602
Thank you Daeminsire. Are you referring for this amp?
http://www.matrixelectronics.net/matrix-m-stage-headphone-amplifier-amp-silver-color-p-187.html

That's the one I'm using with my Q's and fwiw I'm very happy with the pairing. The M-stage has an easily swappable op amp so some fine tuning is possible with it if one would like to.

Feb 10, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #9,297 of 9,602
Thank you Daeminsire. Are you referring for this amp?
http://www.matrixelectronics.net/matrix-m-stage-headphone-amplifier-amp-silver-color-p-187.html

That's the one.  The two RCA inputs are very handy as well, and the pre-amp output works nicely too.

They have a version with a DAC builtin but I've heard the DAC is pretty lackluster so I wouldn't bother.

There is a new version out but I believe it is just superficial changes.

Feb 10, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #9,298 of 9,602
Thank you Peter and Daemonsire.

Can someone link me to the new version?
By the way, where are they located? Also, on the pictures shown in their website, I couldn't find gain selection switch while in the description it says 4 gain settings.

Feb 10, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #9,299 of 9,602
Thank you Peter and Daemonsire.

Can someone link me to the new version?
By the way, where are they located? Also, on the pictures shown in their website, I couldn't find gain selection switch while in the description it says 4 gain settings.

I picked mine up on eBay and it was shipped from China or maybe Hong Kong.

The first version has four gain settings (they're underneath), the second version had only two iirc but I'm not sure about the latest version.

You can check out the review in my signature for more details about it :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back