Q701 impressions thread
Feb 12, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #9,316 of 9,603
Positive first impression for the Asgard 2 when compared to the iBasso D14
The Asgard 2 adds body, the sound opened up a little bit, adds slight warmness, increases soundstage, tightens up the bass, clearer/smoother sound. Needless to say the very slight distortion I used to have with the D14 when upping the volume past 2-3 o’clock on high gain is gone now, which is expected given the spec difference between these amps.
Please note that all changes are slight, nothing extreme, but it’s there, for my ears, YMMV.
Test performed on AKG Q701 and Beyer DT990Pro 250 ohm

Feb 12, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #9,317 of 9,603
After further listening the A2 with the Q, it looks like the highs are being tamed a bit and it's becoming warmer. These changes worked better for the DT990 than the Q for my ears and preference.

Feb 13, 2016 at 2:21 AM Post #9,318 of 9,603
That doesn't surprise me. Although completely different amps, for some reason the Lyr, when I owned it, sounded very bad with the Q701 but amazing with the K7XX. I prefered the Q out of the O2, in fact. I wonder if it's a function of being sensitive to the amplifier's output impedance. Since I've not heard an A2, I can't speak with much authority on the subject. Perhaps allow your ears to adjust more to the reality of the situation. I hope the synergy increases as you listen more.

Feb 13, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #9,319 of 9,603
That doesn't surprise me. Although completely different amps, for some reason the Lyr, when I owned it, sounded very bad with the Q701 but amazing with the K7XX. I prefered the Q out of the O2, in fact. I wonder if it's a function of being sensitive to the amplifier's output impedance. Since I've not heard an A2, I can't speak with much authority on the subject. Perhaps allow your ears to adjust more to the reality of the situation. I hope the synergy increases as you listen more.

I liked the sound signature of my Q and iBasso D14 better while the the DT990 and the A2 better.
I still have time to evaluate and get things settled then decide.
With the Q and A2 combo, it sounds to me the entire spectrum got veiled.

Feb 13, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #9,320 of 9,603
Gumby came, gonna see if it helps out the Q701 any!

Feb 13, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #9,322 of 9,603
 Seriously considering getting the Gumby.  Post your impressions!

No need for impressions :p it'll make any headphones reach new heights haha.

Feb 14, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #9,323 of 9,603
  Seriously considering getting the Gumby.  Post your impressions!

Honestly, my impressions may be a bit distorted for you because you have an Oppa HA-1, something already leagues above my best option prior till the gungnir. One of the things I will say is this. All my headphones I own currently I heard at meets before buying them myself and their equipment they were displayed on (besides the HD650, I heard that on my set up prior to owning a Lyr 2), That equipment I heard them on was usually leagues above what I owned and I aspired to get them one day and slowly I did, along with an amp I knew reasonably could handle all their needs with the Lyr's versatility. But something was always missing with the Q701 and the LCD-2. They were good, but nowhere near what I heard at the time.  I had actually heard with the Lyr but it had a bifrost backing it up on the DAC end. The Q701 has now reached that same sound that I fell in love, really beyond it to be honest, but the human memory is a funny thing like that ya know?

The Gungnir Multibit has taken my whole setup to finally a level I can be satisfied with for awhile. I'm not gonna lie, I wanna start tube rolling and maybe get a new amp to pair specifically with the HD650 or LCD-2 as I think the Lyr 2 is end game for my Q701. But for now, it's like I'm enjoying music again! The presentation is so different than what I'm used to and it's exciting. The most wonderful thing? Even songs I have that aren't as well recorded are benefiting somewhat. Not as much obviously and some not at all but there are plenty of differences and songs I didn't know had as much resolution in them as they do!

So here are some of the biggest benefits for the Q701 specifically coming from my lowly Tubemagic D1's DAC section. This amp/DAC combo cost about $200 in 2010.
+Resolving - Music absolutely sounds crispier and a lot less muddy. Most noticeable when lines of music end and it sounds like they are actually ending the sound rather than a fading kind of effect.
+Separation - Similar to above, the music is more spacious and has room to breath, not melding into one another.
+Detail - Whether it's because the 701 series' treble or otherwise, this has increased quite a bit. Not only things I haven't heard before but in a new way, more natural sounding almost.
+Bass(!) - I am in no way saying these have become bass masters or anything near that haha. They are still bass-lite but they have better presence down low for sure.
+Smoother - Sometimes this headphone can be a bit harsh and the Gungnir won't eliminate that but I think it's tamed the Q701 a bit and I appreciate that.

The Q701 doesn't spend much time on my head but I love what it has done for the community and it's a headphone legend so as a collector, I'll never get rid of it. But now I think it'll be spending some more time with me as I rediscover all it has to offer.

Feb 20, 2016 at 2:21 AM Post #9,324 of 9,603
Hey guys! I want to twist out the grills on my Q701 and replace them with those of the K701. Just for the looks. I believe that they should fit since you guys have tried exchanging those grills at attempt to pinpoint the source of sound difference between the two models (sorry.......no dice)

Does AKG supply spare grill parts - at what cost, and what is the preferred method of contacting them? Alternatively; is there anyone who just happens to have a broken pair for disassembly and/or someone who for some reason wants to trade their grills with my ugly branded black ones.
I checked parts-compass and they do not seem to carry any grills for either of the three headphones...

Feb 23, 2016 at 1:11 AM Post #9,325 of 9,603
Using my Q701 from my LG V10 right now. Ya know what? It isn't so bad! It definitely has enough juice for them!

Feb 24, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #9,326 of 9,603
is been a while since i used my q cause of the hd650

Feb 25, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #9,327 of 9,603
I just added a thin layer of microfiber to the cap on the back of my q701s and I think I like it. Don't really notice too much change. A touch and I mean a touch more warmth in the lower mids. But what I do notice is slightly better bass impact. Not a ton, but I definitely fell the bass a bit more.
I tried adding two layers but it seems to dampen the mids too much and soundstage was smaller.

Feb 25, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #9,328 of 9,603
I just added a thin layer of microfiber to the cap on the back of my q701s and I think I like it. Don't really notice too much change. A touch and I mean a touch more warmth in the lower mids. But what I do notice is slightly better bass impact. Not a ton, but I definitely fell the bass a bit more.
I tried adding two layers but it seems to dampen the mids too much and soundstage was smaller.

Im using way thicker microfiber, but i replaced it with the original foam. with this mod over a week now..,

its hard for me to explain what are the changes. first there is lose of soundstage and air, like its almost semi-open headphones.
the only change in the bass i noticed is that it is more controlled now, in heavy duty bass control songs the mod really show the changes and for good, but the bass is the smallest change in the mod.

the biggest change is the accuracy. when using the normal foam the sounds intend to be wide over the "soundstage surface" then with the microfiber that makes the sounds smaller but more accurate in terms of location in the soundstage (especially voices). some may like it, and some wont.
and here is the best part for me in this mod, when it come to instruments the Q701 sound more realistic, really enjoying this improvement
L3000.gif

if u got the "wrong" amp for this mod the Q701 will sound very boring, not only because of the lack of the air and soundstage, its mainly because the sound will get more accurate but still not more realistic.

Feb 25, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #9,329 of 9,603
headphones1999Yea I agree with pretty much everything you said. I may try using the foam from my hd558 in the q701. I can't see myself ever putting it back into the 558.

Btw, I'm using the monoprice Dac/amp. I like the sound. Noticeably better than straight from my iPhone which gives enough volume, but it's way thinner.

Feb 25, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #9,330 of 9,603
Using my Q701 from my LG V10 right now. Ya know what? It isn't so bad! It definitely has enough juice for them!

The V10 is a perfectly acceptable source for the Q701. I got my V10 on October 30th and thats all I've used my Q701 with since. With the hifi DAC and amp enabled its definitely got plenty of juice. I listen to the Q701 with the volume anywhere from 25 to 40 out of 75. Usually I'm at 30 or 35 out of 75 though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back