Q701 impressions thread
Oct 29, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #9,076 of 9,603
Sweet, thats good to hear! Normally i hate it when companies milk things, but this is an exception haha. They gotta be breaking some sort of records for headphones haha, selling like hotcakes. 

So the only thing i will need to worry about falling apart on these are the soldering right? That won't be too much of an issue.

Thanks all! Now I'm 100% sure to wait for the k7xx.

All that time tormenting between he two haha. Now I have made my decision at last haha.

Oct 29, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #9,077 of 9,603
To add something random, i somehow ended up sleeping on my watch last night. Its one of those big ring ones. I woke up in the morning feeling pain in ze left butt cheek. Now its still sore many hours later lol..

anything like that happen to anyone else? haha I've never had something so random happen before like that.

No watches were physically harmed in the occurrence of this event. I think..

Oct 29, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #9,078 of 9,603
I've had a sore arm or neck for like 2-3 days after stuff like that!

Nov 6, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #9,080 of 9,603
Bought a new pair of Q701s recently. These sound great; coming from K712s, they made for a refreshing change. Definitely sound airier and more expansive.

However, I was not impressed with their build quality. The most glaring issue was the gap between mesh grille and outer black ring. I have a made-in-Austria K712s which sport a much tighter fit and finish. AKG/Harman could surely do more justice to their former flagship. Or is the gap supposed to be a design feature? Could someone with an Austrian Q701s chime in?

Nov 6, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #9,081 of 9,603
Reminder, the K701 used to be $500+? I'm fine in the loss of build quality, my cans hold together fine. Tightness is great, but I'd rather they fix the headband, no bumps, and wider.

Nov 6, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #9,082 of 9,603
True, Q701s are much cheaper compared to HD600/650s and even DT880s. But once you see the gap, you can't unsee it. If AKG increase the price of Q701s by 50 USD and fix the build, I wouldn't mind paying for it.

The bumps don't bother me. Actually I think they are better at keeping the headphones from slipping from your head.

Nov 6, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #9,083 of 9,603
Fair enough :).

Nov 6, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #9,084 of 9,603
  Bought a new pair of Q701s recently. These sound great; coming from K712s, they made for a refreshing change. Definitely sound airier and more expansive.

However, I was not impressed with their build quality. The most glaring issue was the gap between mesh grille and outer black ring. I have a made-in-Austria K712s which sport a much tighter fit and finish. AKG/Harman could surely do more justice to their former flagship. Or is the gap supposed to be a design feature? Could someone with an Austrian Q701s chime in?

My (lime) Austrian-made Q701 has no visible gap there.  It is possible that this an issue with individual units or small batches that does depend on where the headphones are made.

Nov 6, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #9,085 of 9,603

interesting... I bought my white, Chinese made Q701 about a year ago. Although build quality is just average, I don't have the described gap.

I think that the $200 asking price is super worth it. A few years ago they sold for a lot more... only then would I have complained about build quality.

Nov 6, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #9,086 of 9,603

My (lime) Austrian-made Q701 has no visible gap there.  It is possible that this an issue with individual units or small batches that does depend on where the headphones are made.

Thanks for the reply. Yes mine is probably from the latest batch, and it said they were made in China. Not a dig against Chinese quality; they could be made in Slovakia or elsewhere for all I care.

Nov 6, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #9,087 of 9,603

interesting... I bought my white, Chinese made Q701 about a year ago. Although build quality is just average, I don't have the described gap.

I think that the $200 asking price is super worth it. A few years ago they sold for a lot more... only then would I have complained about build quality.

Really? I guess I ended up with a bad batch then. I agree their sound quality justifies the 200 USD price tag, but I wouldn't have minded paying a little bit more for an Austrian-made pair if I knew what I would be getting now :p

Nov 6, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #9,088 of 9,603

Really? I guess I ended up with a bad batch then. I agree their sound quality justifies the 200 USD price tag, but I wouldn't have minded paying a little bit more for an Austrian-made pair if I knew what I would be getting now :p

Can you upload a picture of showing the gap?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back