Q701 impressions thread
Jan 14, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #8,446 of 9,603
That kills resale value if these headphones aren't for you. I got some rubber foam that's used for windows/doors typically and put it in between the holes and now it's comfortable. If the crackling sound is reproduced with different headphones then it should be the track.

The K501 pads are much more comfortable however it seems to bring in the treble. The Lyr should probably fix that issue with the right tubes. The K601 pads probably should do it when they get back in stock since I do recall it bringing out the bass and being extremely comfortable.

yup, it sure does... tho I can't see myself selling these in any foreseeable :) from here I am searching for a complementary sound unless I can spring into the summit-fi world.

has anyone else tried the aliexpress pads? I bought them due to a sound difference in my original pads and have been using then since Christmas. they seem a little softer hence comfy and don't seem to compromise on the sound to my ears.

Jan 14, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #8,447 of 9,603
I'm not sure if I'm going back to summit-fi. There are some things that are tempting me however but I do like the value of mid-fi. 

Also after I sold my headphone my amp can't be used anymore since nothing I have works with them so I'm stuck with them. I probably won't be going back to Stax. The regular setup is so much more flexible compared to my old setup.

Jan 14, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #8,448 of 9,603
I'm not sure if I'm going back to summit-fi. There are some things that are tempting me however but I do like the value of mid-fi. 

Also after I sold my headphone my amp can't be used anymore since nothing I have works with them so I'm stuck with them. I probably won't be going back to Stax. The regular setup is so much more flexible compared to my old setup.

Interesting, what do you miss from summit-fi and what brought you back to mid? There are some phones in your previously owned collection, like the hd800 and stax that I thought might eventually draw me away from the q's

Jan 14, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #8,449 of 9,603
I've had the SR007 until recently. It's just more of a commitment since you can't use your typical headphones with those amps. It just made more sense to go back to mid-fi since I'm using headphones less and less since I'm not home as much. Also with the AKG's I can use my PS3 while I'm on my bed with them since they come with a really long cable. That's the main reason I bought them and for less than $500 I can get a good setup with the Lyr 2. It would be more if I needed to buy a DAC but luckily that works on everything. 

Also, I've had way too many headphones on that list lol...

Jan 15, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #8,452 of 9,603
Thanks for the answers!

I should try ripping a CD myself... Thing is, I don't have a CD-ROM in any computer xD

smile.amazon.com/External-CD-ROM-CDROM-Drive-ASUS/dp/B001RKS7AC

About the price of one CD.  

Jan 15, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #8,454 of 9,603
  Quickest fix for those bumps are bubble wrap.
As for the clacking noise, I am unfamiliar with that.  Plus, bad quality files create less noise than the original, not more.

Could be posible that the problem is my source?

Can the amp, a fiio e12 in this case be producing that? I have one song, from red hot, is unlistenable via the ipod nano 3g > LOD (fiio L3 i think) > fiio e12 > Q701

Im listening now to the same song in my macbook pro, is a 15 inch retina from 2013, and is crystal clear ( at least for me )...

How can i find if is the ipod, not capable of reproducing such files or the amp beeing dead...??? 

Jan 15, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #8,456 of 9,603
You can get it from AKG directly. The email is marlon.gonzalez@harman.com and I usually get a response within the same day or next day.

Jan 17, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #8,457 of 9,603
Just had to post about my enjoyment with the Q701 paired with O2ODAC combined unit, smiling right now as I listen to both classical and metal in CD quality/some 176/24bit, noticing new small details in songs for the first time! Amazing headphones! :D

Wrong place to ask perhaps but does anyone have a link to a guide to read up on common terms and "headphone listening education" so to speak. What to look for and so forth, since I'm pretty new to the whole headphone/head fi world?

Jan 17, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #8,458 of 9,603
I got the Matrix M-stage a couple of days ago and DAMN :wink: I Can certainly understand why it's a popular pairing with the Q's.

Jan 17, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #8,459 of 9,603
  Just had to post about my enjoyment with the Q701 paired with O2ODAC combined unit, smiling right now as I listen to both classical and metal in CD quality/some 176/24bit, noticing new small details in songs for the first time! Amazing headphones! :D

Wrong place to ask perhaps but does anyone have a link to a guide to read up on common terms and "headphone listening education" so to speak. What to look for and so forth, since I'm pretty new to the whole headphone/head fi world?

You might try these links...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/220770/describing-sound-a-glossary

http://www.head-fi.org/a/glossary-of-terms

Jan 17, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #8,460 of 9,603
Edit:

deleted...Zorro beat me to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back