Q: Replacement for Sennheiser HD202s?
Jun 15, 2012 at 12:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

zacharyquack

New Head-Fier
Currently I have Sennheiser HD 202s. They're great, but look too big for my head! What are some headphones that sound the same, but I can wear in public? I don't want to have to coil the 3m cord either. Can in-ear phones replicate the full headphone experience?

I use my headphones around home (eg cleaning, exercising), and in public when I'm passing time. I like the look of Sony's MDRNC40, but they don't sound as good as the far cheaper HD202s plus I don't need noise-cancelling (turning up the volume works well enough).

It would be nice if they had bluetooth so I could use them wirelessly with my ipod touch, but I don't think wireless will be an option?

Price range: $30 - $100

Genres:
Chill Out (Boards of Canada, mu-Ziq)
Dubstep, DnB (Zeds Dead, Chase & Status)
Rap (Mac Miller, Kanye West)
Electronic (MONO, Skrillex)

Source: iPod Touch 4g, stock music app, no amp.

Thanks!

Jun 15, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #3 of 13
$30 - $100

Chill Out (Boards of Canada, mu-Ziq)
Dubstep, DnB (Zeds Dead, Chase & Status)
Rap (Mac Miller, Kanye West)
Electronic (MONO, Skrillex)

iPod Touch 4g, stock music app, no amp.

Jun 15, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #4 of 13
Sennheiser PX210BT bluetooth headphones. These are now my new favorites as they are light portable great sounding wireless bluetooth headphones. 
This is a quick summary I put together but it has a link to the review from headphonia and I will tell you these are sooo worth it! I hate wires now and these are great better than my M50s. The M50s have a bit more treble extension and stage just like Mike says in his review but I could care less as these put everything else in its price range to bed.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/611585/sennheiser-px210bt-bluetooth-headphones-you-better-take-seriously

Jun 15, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #6 of 13
It would be a while before I could splash $400 (NZD) on headphones, but thanks for info on good bluetooth headphones!

If I knew they'd last more than a year, I might be willing to spend more. The  Incipio F38's look nice, I wonder if they sound as good as HD202s. Sounds like I would need an amp for bass in the DJ100s, they might be a bit too big too with the padded headband.

Jun 15, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #7 of 13
 I didn't see the price range sorry.  Just under a $100 there are a lot of great sounding headphones. Since you have Sens another brand with sorta similar treble is AKG. Take a look at the K181 my all time favorite DJ phone with slamming bass, transparent forward mids, and studio accurate treble that doesn't hurt your ears till they pump ear shattering volumes like they need to in a club. The super fast drivers deliver incredible dynamics and unfluttered vocals with todays long sub bass lines. These are technically very capable headphones that are always overlooked.  The isolation is great but the comfort kinda sucks for long term for sessions. But when it comes to sound these will immerse you in the music. These are one of my favorite recs for under 100. Since these are or will be soon discontinued (not certain of this) these can be had for under a $100 now. 

Jun 15, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #11 of 13
Since you'll be using them for portable/public use I'd say get an IEM like the Klipsch S4 (~$65) or Shure SE215 ($99).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back