Q-Jays starting to go, looking for something new.
Jul 22, 2010 at 4:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Carefree

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 8, 2009
Posts
30
Likes
0
Hi,
 
I bought a pair of Q-Jays last year and the left headphone is starting to crap out.  Unfortunately, I bought them off eBay from a private seller and have no receipt so I can't really follow up on the warranty.  They were only £60 so I don't feel that bad.
 
So, I'm looking for something new.  From reviews and posts on this site, I am thinking of going with the Audeo Phonak PFE or the Ultimate Ears 700.  I would really like to check out the Kilpsch Image X10 but they are just too expensive.
 
I really like the Q-Jays.  I think they are great value for money (even at their regular price of £100).  I love their sound, could maybe could be a little better on bass, but it's not bad.
 
Between the PFE and UE 700, which would you recommend coming from Q-Jays?
 
Thanks for any input.
 
Jul 22, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #2 of 10

Pianist

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 3, 2007
Posts
3,994
Likes
106

 
Quote:
Hi,
 
I bought a pair of Q-Jays last year and the left headphone is starting to crap out.  Unfortunately, I bought them off eBay from a private seller and have no receipt so I can't really follow up on the warranty.  They were only £60 so I don't feel that bad.
 
So, I'm looking for something new.  From reviews and posts on this site, I am thinking of going with the Audeo Phonak PFE or the Ultimate Ears 700.  I would really like to check out the Kilpsch Image X10 but they are just too expensive.
 
I really like the Q-Jays.  I think they are great value for money (even at their regular price of £100).  I love their sound, could maybe could be a little better on bass, but it's not bad.
 
Between the PFE and UE 700, which would you recommend coming from Q-Jays?
 
Thanks for any input.

 
Both are a downgrade from the q-jays IMO, especially the PFE. I am not sure what to recommend. Maybe CK10 will be an upgrade, but I am not sure. Did you find the treble on the q-jays at all fatiguing? If you could live with less treble, I also recommend Hifiman RE252, or waiting for the upcoming RE262.
 
Jul 22, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #3 of 10

Jonasklam

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 26, 2009
Posts
535
Likes
12


Quote:
 
 
Both are a downgrade from the q-jays IMO, especially the PFE. I am not sure what to recommend. Maybe CK10 will be an upgrade, but I am not sure. Did you find the treble on the q-jays at all fatiguing? If you could live with less treble, I also recommend Hifiman RE252, or waiting for the upcoming RE262.


Both are downgrades? I'm pretty sure almost every review out there would disagree with you on that. I have had the q-jays and currently own PFE and to my ear they share the same sound signature and would rather say that PFE is a sidegrade if not an upgrade. I might be wrong because i never had both IEMs at the same time so haven't A/B'ed them.
Anyway, accoring to reviews both are an upgrade over the q-jays (little info about the UE 700 though), but I do think that they are a small upgrade.
 
Also, this wasn't post to offend or anything...
 
Jul 23, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #4 of 10

Carefree

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 8, 2009
Posts
30
Likes
0
I was always under the impression that the PFE was a slight upgrade to the Q-Jays.  From what I've read, they have all of the good characteristics of the Q-Jays sound signature but with a touch more bass.
 
The reason I'm not totally jumping on the PFE bandwagon is that I prefer IEMs that hang down instead of over the ears.
 
I didn't find the treble fatiguing, I didn't think they were overly bright.  Maybe at first, but I got used to it I suppose.
 
Jul 23, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #5 of 10

yliu

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 23, 2010
Posts
689
Likes
23
be careful with the ue700, there aren't a lot of good reviews on them, but I'm still gonna get them when I get home from vacation. The X10s are very very nice, very impressive bass, good mids, and smooth highs, they just look ugly when you wear them ( the stick out of your ear)
 
Jul 23, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #6 of 10

Pianist

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 3, 2007
Posts
3,994
Likes
106

 
Quote:
Both are downgrades? I'm pretty sure almost every review out there would disagree with you on that. I have had the q-jays and currently own PFE and to my ear they share the same sound signature and would rather say that PFE is a sidegrade if not an upgrade. I might be wrong because i never had both IEMs at the same time so haven't A/B'ed them.
Anyway, accoring to reviews both are an upgrade over the q-jays (little info about the UE 700 though), but I do think that they are a small upgrade.
 
Also, this wasn't post to offend or anything...


I think PFE is leaner and less detailed than the q-jays. With Q-jays I could hear many micro details in my music which were simply not there with the PFE. That being said, the treble on the q-jays is a bit harsh and sibilant - a problem which PFE does not suffer from at all. I also found the bass to be more powerful and realistic sounding on the q-jays and the lower mids to be richer and more involving vs. the PFE.
 

 
Quote:
Carefree said:


I was always under the impression that the PFE was a slight upgrade to the Q-Jays.  From what I've read, they have all of the good characteristics of the Q-Jays sound signature but with a touch more bass.
 
The reason I'm not totally jumping on the PFE bandwagon is that I prefer IEMs that hang down instead of over the ears.
 
I didn't find the treble fatiguing, I didn't think they were overly bright.  Maybe at first, but I got used to it I suppose.

That's not true IMO. Exactly the other way around to my ears actually - q-jays are the ones that have bigger, more present low end. PFE sound anemic by comparison.
 
Jul 30, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #7 of 10

Carefree

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 8, 2009
Posts
30
Likes
0
Well, I always really wanted the Klipsch X10 but thought they were too expensive.
 
I found them on sale on amazon.co.uk (the X10, not the X10i), on sale for £126.
 
So I went with those.  Thanks for your feedback everyone.
 
Jul 30, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #8 of 10

Jonasklam

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 26, 2009
Posts
535
Likes
12


Quote:
 

I think PFE is leaner and less detailed than the q-jays. With Q-jays I could hear many micro details in my music which were simply not there with the PFE. That being said, the treble on the q-jays is a bit harsh and sibilant - a problem which PFE does not suffer from at all. I also found the bass to be more powerful and realistic sounding on the q-jays and the lower mids to be richer and more involving vs. the PFE.
 


Yea, I've heard people who thinks that Q-jays is better than PFE too. But i honestly can't say what i think 'cus I don't have the Q-jays anymore and it's a long time since i heard 'em now - I was just pointing out that according to reviews, q-jays, PFE and UE700 for that matter is very close all around. Which is better? often depends on the reviewer.
 
Jul 31, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #9 of 10

yliu

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 23, 2010
Posts
689
Likes
23


Quote:
Well, I always really wanted the Klipsch X10 but thought they were too expensive.
 
I found them on sale on amazon.co.uk (the X10, not the X10i), on sale for £126.
 
So I went with those.  Thanks for your feedback everyone.


You will enjoy them:) but be careful with them, cuz they are fragile!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top