Q Cable Impressions Thread
Apr 17, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #286 of 555
Oh man. Sorry for all the trouble. Hell, if I'd have sent it out USPS Express Mail, you'd probably have received it today and not had to go chasing anyone down two days in a row. I'll make a note not to use FedEx for apartment deliveries unless I know someone will be there to sign for it.

Glad you're happy with the cable though.
biggrin.gif

se

Apr 17, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #287 of 555
Heh, NP, price I pay for living in the sticks.  May just need to have it shipped to work next time.

Yeah, they are very nice.  Wat flexible, which is what I was looking for.  May need to get a shorter version soon.  When I'm ready I'll email you some questions I have.  Thanks.

Apr 28, 2013 at 3:57 AM Post #289 of 555
Out of date info. text deleted.

R

Jul 17, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #290 of 555
Long Versus Short SQ Comparison

Have you ever wondered about the sound quality difference would be between a very long Q-Cable and a normal length Q-Cable? I have some real-world listening thoughts on the subject that I thought some of you would be interested in hearing. I compared a very long, original-style, 15-foot Q Cable to a current-style, 3-foot, slightly larger gauged, Q Cable, with Hifiman earring dongles. So yeah, not exactly an apple-to-apples comparison, but still interesting. So the variables in play were: the cable lengths (15' versus 3'), cable gauge (the new 3' cable has more Litz conductors), earrings (the new 3' cable uses Hifiman-style SMA adapters).

The system hosting this comparison is pretty serious, I love it to death.... Mac Mini, Amarra, Locus Design USB cable, Wyrd4Snd Dac2, MG Audio interconnects, Violectric V200, Q-cable and Hifiman HE500s, with Triode Power Labs power cables. Listening tests were done with short term and long term listening periods, using a variety of musical styles over a period of about a week.

The results were that the shorter cable, with the earrings, sounded just a tad better. Cable shortness and more conductors trumped the no-earring advantage. That being said, the difference was quite subtle and difficult to describe in typical audiophile terms. Suffice it to say, things just sound a bit more real, more immediate, more controlled and with a better connection to the music. Quantitatively, perhaps something like 5%. Without the ability to do the direct comparison, the difference would fade into the noise floor of my ability to remember the differences pretty fast. So, that's about it. If you have a logistical need that requires a long headphone run, I would humbly submit that you can go for it without any worries with a Q-cable. As always, Steve at Q-Cable is a great guy and an asset to our hobby. And as so many of us already know, nothing beats Q-Cable when it comes to how the cable physically behaves.... so nicely that you often forget that it is there. Just for the fun of it, at one point in my testing, I put on the the Hifman cable (the silver one) that came with the headphone. That was a flashback nightmare. I've been spoiled. The cable is horribly stiff, microphonic and it doesn't sound very good either. If you're still using one of those, you really need to give Steve a call post haste... seriously! :)

WIth Kind Regards & Happy Listening!

Jul 17, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #293 of 555
Quote:
Cool!  -  Q-Cable's Summer Sale!

I just noticed that the Q-Cable Site has just announced the start of their Summer Sale. It's 20% off!

If I didn't already own two fantastic Q Cables for my HD800s and LCD-3s, I'd be all over this deal! 

Oh, and happy belated birthday Steve! Sorry no envelope with $ inside. The downsides of being middle-aged. 

Jul 17, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #294 of 555
Thanks, MH!

Yeah, like I said, it was all downhill after I stopped getting birthday cards with money in them. Oh to be a kid again, and to end up with a whole $9 on your 9th birthday (back in '69 for me) and the excitement running down to Uncle Happy's toy store to spend it all in half an hour!
biggrin.gif

se

Jul 17, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #295 of 555
Quote:
Thanks, MH!

Yeah, like I said, it was all downhill after I stopped getting birthday cards with money in them. Oh to be a kid again, and to end up with a whole $9 on your 9th birthday (back in '69 for me) and the excitement running down to Uncle Happy's toy store to spend it all in half an hour!
biggrin.gif

se

Good times.  
size]

Jul 20, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #297 of 555
Bought red Q cable 4pin xlr, hd800 adaptor and red xlr-1/4 adaptor not long ago. Been waiting for another sale so jumped on board and now cant wait to get my hands on them! Its like going to be my first experience with an aftermarket cable since the other one I ordered from another company is taking years for delivery... If cables provide extra benefit in sound quality like alot people claim its a bonus on top of a better look and lighter weight//

Jul 23, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #298 of 555
I bought my second cable from Steve and have had it for about two weeks. It's a beautiful dark brown French silk that terminates to mini xlr with adapters for Senn and HFM hp's. It's just fantastic!! Great work Steve as usual. 
size]

Aug 1, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #300 of 555
Hi Steve looking to get some ifs shipped to Hong Kong, just a question r the prices on the site per or post 20% off for the summer sale?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back