PX200-II good for metal/rock? Yes! Now with 25% more review!
Jun 30, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #32 of 55
That is the one thing that annoys me but that thin clip thingy does work when you 'clip' it where it stays in place. The moment the volume control is clipped correctly it hardly pulls on the headphone. The built in volume control is handy though when checking Youtube for the volume control on that website itself is a bit unrefined. 

Jun 30, 2010 at 7:21 AM Post #35 of 55

Quote:
One more thing, Senn also made the headband thicker right? I've seen in the pictures that they look a bit wider compared to the original incarnations.

i'm not sure about the "thicker" part, but they sure are made better, yeah, maybe thicker 'coz they have to make way for the conductors knowing that the cables are now only single-sided.

Jun 30, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #36 of 55

I never thought about it like that, but yeah, my PX200s with modified pleather pads do in fact sound like baby Grados compared to my Grado SR80s :D

Quote:
To me, the PX200-II sounds like a mini Grado, but more polite.  It's decent on Jazz, nice for Metal/Rock. I love it for Vocals and String instruments.  I have it being fed in the following fashion: iPod 5.5G->ALAC->DIY LOD->Fiio E5 -> PX200-II.  The audio is quite clean and very enjoyable.

I dunno about Deep Funk, but I thought the HD428 had deeper bass (maybe not as clean though).  I think his Custom HD428 sounds pretty much like a Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro/80 Ohm... just has better mids and more polite highs as well.  A modded HD428 is an amazing bargain!

Jul 5, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #37 of 55
So, I just got my PX200-II a couple of hours ago, unboxed in front of the store and listened all the way home.

First impression: they are very small, compared to the HD448 or even other portables. Reasonably well built, light, comfortable, secure fit. The headband doesn't seem like it will stretch out needlesly over time, thus preserving the firm yet gentle fit. One hour in, under hot sun, no ear pain or hotness. The cable seems rather thin, but I don't think it's going to be a problem since it's the same kind as the HD448, rubbery and not too hard.

The sound: more punch, less boom than the HD448 (who I'm almost certain have a resonating problem), balanced, tight, bass, clean mids, vocals seem a bit congested sometimes, snare hits also. Overall sound is smooth, nice instrument layering and sepparation. Highs are nice and sparkly, also smooth.

Will return with more as listening continues. Overall impression is decidedly positive on these, their SQ to size ratio is great!

Jul 5, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #38 of 55
Glad you like them! I assure you, they only get better =] Their bass gets to extend surprisingly low as well. I think you will also find it has a surprisingly airy sound for being such a small, closed headphone.

Jul 5, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #39 of 55

Quote:
I think you will also find it has a surprisingly airy sound for being such a small, closed headphone.

This is indeed intriguing. I've generally found portable closed-backs to have a congested signature (AKG K518DJ, PX 200, HD 228).

Jul 5, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #40 of 55
Just check the distance the sound has to travel to your ears and how much space it gets within the ear pads, it sounds very good. 

Jul 5, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #41 of 55
Sounds great! I'm thinking of picking them up as well.

Tho I am stuck between the AKG K518 and PX200-II, the former is cheaper in my country though... but the latter is just like my PX100-II, yet closed and I like the small, compact design. Hmm..

Jul 7, 2010 at 10:13 AM Post #42 of 55
Update:

Third day in. I've been using them on my way to/from work and a bit at home. I'm a bit disappointed in the isolation these provide. The bass goes away really fast in the presence of loud traffic or even at the back of the bus, near the engine. This leaves them sounding really bright, despite being actually very flat in freq response.

When quiet, the sound is good, great even for such tiny things. Vocals are a bit congested, vocal harmonies especially so, they sound nasal and fused together. Apart from that, these little headphones sound OK with most tracks you throw at them. As a big plus, I must say they do Metallica extremely well
L3000.gif

Maybe it's because I've been spoiled with the HD448 that I find the PX's a bit lacking, so take all this with a grain of salt. They are light, small and comfortable and they sound good. That's about all there is to it. IMHO, they're not even mid-fi, but I don't think they tried to be.

Jul 7, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #43 of 55
Ever tried those Senns (PX II) compared to a Koss PortaPro? The PortaPros keep the bass in noisy environments, probably due to their emphasis on the midbass range. Zero noise isolation though.

Jul 7, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #44 of 55
Can't get Koss over in my country, so no, not really. I think I know what you mean though, many a headphone has a midbass hump to compensate for size or lack of isolation. The HD238 I've owned last year had that and it was not pretty.

I'm playing the PX-200 II right now from the PC soundcard and the bass really shines. It goes low and clean on bassy songs, makes you want to play thumping music more (NIN in this case). Maybe in time the earpads will soften and provide a better seal, so the lows stay in.

Jul 7, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #45 of 55
If you place the earpads just perfect on your ears the sound is just right. I find it a plus that you still hear a bit of what is going on around you. 

When using the public transport choose your place carefully, really.

Be careful with the volume, I am playing my music louder than before and I like it. The volume is usually on 7/10 now, used to be 6 or even 5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back