PX200-II good for metal/rock? Yes! Now with 25% more review!
Jun 25, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #16 of 55
LiveAndLetDie, that's very interesting, thanks for the input. I've had the HD238 and they were ok, but the bass was bloated and uneven and the overall SQ suffered due to quite a bit of graininess IMO, at least compared to the HD448 I have now, which have a smooth, clean sound. If you have more to share about HD238 vs PX200-II, I'd love to read it. Making and informed purchase and all that. 60$ is still a lot of money for me.. :)

Jun 26, 2010 at 8:53 AM Post #17 of 55
I really can't say a lot about the two cause the comparo I did lasted for a mere 30 mins. The 238's really are intended to be for portable use and the "too much bass" that you're speaking of is maybe of that reason. Maybe you just got really accustomed to the clean, balanced sound the 448's are very known for. By the way, so you're looking for isolation? I won't recommend the 228's anymore since  they are just the closed version of the 238's. Well if you didn't like the 238's then maybe you can just go try the px200 II's. Since they are more portable, and they are more sturdy than the previous mentioned ones. I actually have a bias against closed cans, maybe that's why I preferred the 238's. Or maybe a closer listening will change my mind. And a tidbit though, I was actually impressed with the 200 II's, adequate but not overpowering bass, decent soundstage, even considering my aforementioned bias. So yeah, you make the decision. Cheers.
wink_face.gif

Jun 26, 2010 at 9:55 AM Post #18 of 55
Thanks a lot, mate. I really need closed cans, because I tried once using the HD238 on the subway and found it to be utterly pointless. The HD228 are a no go, of course, due to ugly, bloated sound, so that leaves me with the PX200s, which sound like perfect cans for me. I've already decided to buy them, just wanted to make really sure that they are what I want.

Jun 26, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #19 of 55
To me, the PX200-II sounds like a mini Grado, but more polite.  It's decent on Jazz, nice for Metal/Rock. I love it for Vocals and String instruments.  I have it being fed in the following fashion: iPod 5.5G->ALAC->DIY LOD->Fiio E5 -> PX200-II.  The audio is quite clean and very enjoyable.

I dunno about Deep Funk, but I thought the HD428 had deeper bass (maybe not as clean though).  I think his Custom HD428 sounds pretty much like a Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro/80 Ohm... just has better mids and more polite highs as well.  A modded HD428 is an amazing bargain!

Jun 26, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #20 of 55
For me the bass on the  HD428,  standard and modified always went deep with a rumble. The bass on the PX200 II goes deep with a smoothness that reminds me of my DF. Which headphone actually goes deeper with bass, I never measured it and I do not care for I am satisfied with the sound. 

Jun 27, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #21 of 55
Agreed.  I really do enjoy the PX200-II as well.  I think my current portable setup is enough for me.  I'm also done with my Desktop (PC) Setup.  Now, to work on my lounge chair... reference style setup...

Quote:
For me the bass on the  HD428,  standard and modified always went deep with a rumble. The bass on the PX200 II goes deep with a smoothness that reminds me of my DF. Which headphone actually goes deeper with bass, I never measured it and I do not care for I am satisfied with the sound. 

Jun 28, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #22 of 55
I think the PX200-II will be awesome for you, some other person said they even make great gaming cans, so thats good soundstage and 3D imaging.

Same can be said about the PX100-II, I use them every once in awhile for gaming and wow, I know where my enemies are coming from :D, tho I believe not as pinpoint as the Senn 555s or the AD700s, still good tho!

Bass extension is great on these.

Jun 28, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #23 of 55
Do you mean the PX200 II or the 100s?

Still one week to go until the new cans and you guys are making it harder and harder to wait :) I'm not really looking to them for soundstage, but will give them a try.

Jun 29, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #24 of 55
both of them are really improved, especially the PX200 II's. The old PX100 is already great, so the improvements might be very little on the new version.

Please don't forget to report back though, as I am also looking for some portable cans and also considering this one. Don't quite know what struck me in my previous encounter with your can of choice. A second opinion would be oh so great. :)

Jun 29, 2010 at 12:10 PM Post #25 of 55
To those who currently own/or have tried the PX200-II's: is their clamp strong enough (yet not too hard to be comfortable) to create a good seal? One of my gripes about the original PX200 is the poor seal which resulted in anemic bass.

Jun 29, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #26 of 55
For me the clamp on the PX200 II is just perfect. The clamp is sturdy and comfortable and the ear pads work well for the isolating purposes, well enough to play music loudly. I usually ask when taking the train if the people around me are bothered by my music and usually they tell me they hear nothing. 

In fact the clamping of the PX200 II is better than a lot of my full size headphones. No discomfort and it stays on my head/ears good enough to withstand winds, headbanging and constant movement.  

Jun 29, 2010 at 12:32 PM Post #27 of 55
Headbanging, huh? Does it induce headbanging?
L3000.gif
Hope so.
I'll review these cans vs the HD448 this weekend or next week, can't wait! Although I've found more love for the HD448 thanks to foobar + crossfeed, I still need some small and portable cans for this summer.

I was also wondering about the fit. Hopte they're more secure than the HD448, because these don't clamp at all and stay on my head just due to being circumaural.

Jun 29, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #28 of 55

To those who currently own/or have tried the PX200-II's: is their clamp strong enough (yet not too hard to be comfortable) to create a good seal? One of my gripes about the original PX200 is the poor seal which resulted in anemic bass.

better seal, better comfort, better isolation. though the bass on this one's not that powerful, but definitely not on the anemic side. the improved pads and improved headband might've really helped a lot in terms of comfort, sennheiser really got it right this time. just hope the single-sided cable will last as long as the older ones did, or better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back