PX 100 Appreciation
Oct 13, 2007 at 5:39 AM Post #46 of 111
It was mentioned earlier in the thread that the PX100's are much more expensive in Canada. I've had a lot of luck with TigerDirect.ca, and can usually get them below $50 before shipping, though they intermittently stop carrying them.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...&sku=S302-1060

I'm on my third pair now, thanks to my sister's cat. Also, I'm trying to figure out if I secretly like them better than my K701's. I hope not.

Oct 13, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #47 of 111
I won a convert at the local's favorite mexican restaurant yesterday - My waiter listened to my 1G nano and 320kbps VBR MP3, with SendStaiton dock line out into a PenguinAmp caffeine, with PX100's and he was like, "WOW! I feel like I am in the studio with them".

I told him if this hadn't been recorded in the studio, he would have thought he was on the stage with them instead.
biggrin.gif

Oct 13, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #48 of 111
does the penguin coffee amp make a big difference with the px100? I'm ampless at the moment but my nw-hd5 does have a line-out
eek.gif

Oct 13, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #49 of 111
Mine have provided enjoyment and value well beyond their purchase price but I hardly use them anymore.

These days, I use a pair of cx-300 IEMs.

The thing that bothered me about the px-100 is that they leak quite a bit and some of the music I listen to while working out is quite profane in nature. I frequently listen to the Headstones, Limp Bizkit, and so on. Every so often, I'd have something ultra-aggressive cranked up, notice a youngster in close proximity, and interrupt my set to quickly knock the volume way back.

With the cx-300 and the large flanges, I feel like I'm my own world. Better still, the SQ is perhaps a tad better on the cx-300 than the px-100.

For what it's worth, I think the people who complain about cx-300 SQ either have the cheap knock-offs, haven't bothered to fit them properly, or both.

For what it's worth, I tried the Koss KSC75 that everyone (including me) raves about. For a time, I preferred them to the px-100. They seem a bit cleaner. They don't quite have the bass drive of the px-100, although the Koss do sound very, very good. Now, I prefer the px-100 but, knowning what I do now, I wouldn't bother swapping one for the other, all else being equal.

Oct 13, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #50 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by robert1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does the penguin coffee amp make a big difference with the px100? I'm ampless at the moment but my nw-hd5 does have a line-out
eek.gif

Ummmm, yeaaah, you read my post above, right
biggrin.gif

And, it's Caffeine, not coffee
redface.gif

Oct 13, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #51 of 111
Excellent sound. So comfortable you can easily forget you have them on (that can be a negative!!). Definitely worth the money and then some.

I do wear iem's more frequently because I need/want the isolation. However the PX-100 is my first choice when I use open phones.

Oct 13, 2007 at 10:40 PM Post #52 of 111
sq/price ratio is unbeatable but my pm100's rigt driver buzzed all the time(not a hair thing) so I had to give up on that one...

Nov 6, 2007 at 11:34 PM Post #53 of 111
my px100 have introduced me to the headphone world, at an unbeatable price/sq IMHO. i still love them out my k3 dap and for gaming! (until beyer manufacture mmx300 will be out
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

Nov 7, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #54 of 111
After reading this thread I feel obligated to buy these. I've had them in mind for a while, and as of now I'm stuck with just a pair of ear buds.

I'm think I'm going to order the Q-Jays and the PX-100
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 7, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #55 of 111
I've been looking at the forum for a few days and figured I might as well join the community here. I must have bought the PX100s about three years ago, when I decided the cheap headphones I'd been using just didn't cut it anymore, I bought them maybe 3 days after buying a $20 pair for my new CD player and not being happy with them at all. Not long after that 3 of my friends followed my recommendation and got them as well. At that point I really didn't know anything about the audiophile community and chose them mostly because the frequency response range was much wider than most other headphones in that price range, and they seemed like a good design. So far, in addition to sounding great they've also been the most durable pair of headphones I've ever had.

Grado has shown me that going by frequency response will only get you so far, and currently the PX100s aren't getting much use due to the SR 325s, but I still think they're the best combination of comfort, sound quality, portability and value around. Plus they were my gateway to really good headphones.

Nov 7, 2007 at 6:24 AM Post #57 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by Upenya /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gr8!! whr can i find the best price?
biggrin.gif

If you are interested, I have a couple of PX100 & PX200 whites new in unopened box, for $35, $40 OBO, local pickup. I am in the SF bay area.

Jan 10, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #58 of 111
I love my PX100s, they've been my only headphone used for over a year. But I've just today gotten a pair of sr80s.

They are blowing me away. I love them. MUCH clearer than the px100s, amazing definition and stage.

But my PXs are more forgiving and warmer, very obvious on Dylan's Blood on the Tracks and most of my early Elvis Costello albums. Elvis' recordings and voice sound fairly harsh, and the grados are exposing that fairly quickly.

I know my grados will have some burn in, and they may soften up, but I can already see that the px100s gave some of my music a bit of help. The senn's left ear has a rattle and the pleather headfoam is fraying after a year of heavy use, but I guess from reading these posts I'm under warranty. gonna send them in this week.

I'm completely infatuated with my grados, but I also have a feeling the PX100s aren't done with me either.

Jan 10, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #59 of 111
IMHO, the SQ of px100 pale to that of Yuin PK2
Sure, the px100 has alot more bass, but I just can't get over its veil. Pk2's just sound alot more clear and detailed to me.

Jan 10, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #60 of 111
I have the PX100 Retros and I absolutely love them. They sound great for the size and are pretty comfortable too. People complain about them being warm, especially the first gen, but they sound good to me. The AKG 412P is a hell of a lot warmer. The SQ can't quite compare to that of my Alessandro MS1s or even my Sony EX90s, but they sound good for the price. I prefer them to the HD280s. Go figure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back