Putting headphones in the Fridge?
Aug 26, 2011 at 5:32 AM Post #16 of 47
I think you're missing the point of burn-in.
wink_face.gif
cha cha cha

Aug 26, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #17 of 47

Quote:
Maybe the water content in the rubber surround expands and stresses it.  Maybe.  Any other effects should thaw out making it pointless.  Still don't like water anywhere near my phones.  I never even went near the steam bath treatment when I used to mod my Grados.  If it seems like a bad idea it probably is. 

Instead of frozen cans, maybe what one needs is a frozen room then? I mean, the electronics will be battery-powered anyway so they can be hauled into a meat freezer, or that beverage cooler in 7/11 with the wide-open access area behind the cans and bottles and ice bags.

---

No seriously, a cold room has psychoacoustic benefits. I personally can't listen in a warm room. Warm and cold will be relative but it's a given you can't enjoy your music if you're sweating, worse if you're on head-fi gear and your pads/tips are wet as hell. But of course even if people start observing this some snake-oil guy will twist the explanation around and say the problem isn't that the pads are wet, but that they're wet from sweat, instead of olive oil, mega-buck champagne, or some snake-oil product that will only take away cash for buying CDs or high-res downloads.

Aug 26, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #18 of 47
I would say the antithesis of a fridge would be way better. They make dry boxes which keep the humidity at a selectable level. I keep all my camera gear in one. The only issue is when you take it out the gear will absorb moisture for a moment it seems, mine may be set a little too low? Right now my gear is at 31% humidity and 24 degree Celcius / 75.2˚Fahrenhite. I should be at 45% on the humidity but it is as close as I can get. People store art work in one and they make them big enough for a complete headphone amp and headphone collection. There are also ways to create an entire room to be constant low humidity and normal even temperature.

The other crazy extreme is dryness. People I know who leave their houses unattended in Flagstaff Arizona will out of normal habit fill large trash cans with water and place them around the house to add moisture. If the house is left for long periods of time they need to return to fill the trash cans with water as the air in the house has depleted the full trash can amount of H20. The result of a dry house can cause the wood belongings to crack.

Aug 26, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #19 of 47
Used to love walking in below freezing temps with my Senn HD 280s - they were great earmuffs.

Aug 26, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #21 of 47
I would say the antithesis of a fridge would be way better. They make dry boxes which keep the humidity at a selectable level. I keep all my camera gear in one. The only issue is when you take it out the gear will absorb moisture for a moment it seems, mine may be set a little too low? Right now my gear is at 31% humidity and 24 degree Celsius / 75.2 degree Fahrenheit. I should be at 45% on the humidity but it is as close as I can get. People store artwork in one and they make them big enough for a complete headphone amp and headphone collection. There are also ways to create an entire room to be constant low humidity and normal even temperature.

The other crazy extreme is dryness. People I know who leave their houses unattended in Flagstaff Arizona will out of normal habit fill large trash cans with water and place them around the house to add moisture. If the house is left for long periods of time they need to return to fill the trash cans with water as the air in the house has depleted the full trash can amount of H20. The result of a dry house can cause the wood belongings to crack.

Aug 26, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #22 of 47

Quote:
to be frank, it just sounds so absurd that I thought it was a joke - much like wrapping all of your wire in tissue paper and putting 20 textbooks on top of your rig to "mass dampen" your gear

There's a freezer trick to revive dead/dying computer memory, i thought that was a joke 'till i tryed it, but worked nonetheless.

Aug 26, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #24 of 47
We had this discussion a few years ago. Using headphones while walking. I'll see if I can find a link.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/384525/temperature-affecting-detail-level

http://www.head-fi.org/t/411983/can-air-pressure-elevation-air-temperature-affect-driver-performance

Aug 27, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #25 of 47
interesting....i think ill try putting them in a ziplock bag and freezing them for 30 minutes or so and let the condensation collect around the bag as opposed to the headphones. I have a feeling that a cooler driver means more detail.

Aug 27, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #26 of 47
Quote:
interesting....i think ill try putting them in a ziplock bag and freezing them for 30 minutes or so and let the condensation collect around the bag as opposed to the headphones. I have a feeling that a cooler driver means more detail.

I would say the exact opposite. When drivers warm up they have more leeway and offer more detail, a stiff driver won't offer any benefits.

Aug 27, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #27 of 47

Quote:
And more liquid w/ better sparkle up top.  

In my Sony R10's i like to put i little fine wine in their, and it makes the music sparkle! After than i remove all the drivers,etc; and use it as a little tea cup
biggrin.gif

Aug 27, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #28 of 47
To get a flat response I normally iron my headphone cables and speaker wires atleast once a month.
Someone told me to iron my power cords but I'm not buying into that one. 

Aug 27, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #29 of 47
You can also use a can of freon/coolant to specifically chill a driver.

It's actually useful in hunting down misbehaving components. Some are fine at room temperature but act up when they get warm. You can shoot them with coolant to figure out which one doesn't like operating temperatures.

Aug 27, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #30 of 47
I know that my headphones like cold temperatures for sure! In fact, they might like them a little too much, since the cable gets really stiff when they're out in the cold :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back