Putting headphones in the Fridge?
Aug 26, 2011 at 1:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

TiestoFan

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone ever tried putting their xb500s or any other headphones for that matter in the fridge for an hour or so? i heard it has some minor protective effects on the electronics and makes the sound better (not to mention must feel nice when you put them back on)

Any truth to this or is it complete BS, is it possible that this could ruin the headphones?

Aug 26, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #2 of 47
The only sure way it might cause damage is if moisture gets into them, so I suppose a watertight zip bag will prevent that. As for SQ benefits I have absolutely no idea; more likely freezing it and then plugging them in will damage them because the driver suspension - which needs to move - will be frozen and then suddenly have to move. Think Demolition Man and Terminator 2, just not as spectacular and definitely not amusing if it does happen. If anything I'd try freezing the pads, but of course it will soften quickly once you take them out and wear the cans.

Aug 26, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #3 of 47
Ah, the old cryo treatment.  There are certain benefits for metals but your freezer will never get cold enough to match a proper cryo process.  IMO you only risk damaging your phones w/ no benefit.  You should ask in the sound science forum.  Should be fun.   

Aug 26, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #5 of 47
Well, In theory the colder a conductor becomes the more conductive it is. That and cold materials in the frame will resonant less which is good.but the diaphragm  will become stiffer so that might alter the sound.

The bad point in doing this is that it might cause water to condense inside your headphone which might lead to the eventual destruction of the headphone.

Aug 26, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #7 of 47
to be frank, it just sounds so absurd that I thought it was a joke - much like wrapping all of your wire in tissue paper and putting 20 textbooks on top of your rig to "mass dampen" your gear

Aug 26, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #9 of 47
Put your K702 in the freezer for around 5-10 minutes. It does something to the driver and smooths out the treble. Pretty much free burn-in I'm told.
Make sure it's dry before plugging it into your amp. I suggest wrapping it in a towel and putting it in the dryer for 5 minutes (no Downy).

Aug 26, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #10 of 47
Hmm.. 

IME it's sound like when I first heard my earbuds, harsh and somewhat anemic bass.. that's why I store my buds close to my body when I'm out in the snow.

Aug 26, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #11 of 47

Quote:
Put your K702 in the freezer for around 5-10 minutes. It does something to the driver and smooths out the treble. Pretty much free burn-in I'm told.
Make sure it's dry before plugging it into your amp. I suggest wrapping it in a towel and putting it in the dryer for 5 minutes (no Downy).

Maybe the water content in the rubber surround expands and stresses it.  Maybe.  Any other effects should thaw out making it pointless.  Still don't like water anywhere near my phones.  I never even went near the steam bath treatment when I used to mod my Grados.  If it seems like a bad idea it probably is. 

Aug 26, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #13 of 47
Aug 26, 2011 at 3:48 AM Post #14 of 47

Quote:
My headphones are warmer after I microwave them for a few minutes.

I just tried this! Strangely I had this weird smell of smoke after doing it. I tried to remove it with Febreeze, but I think I blew a driver in the process!
I think the popping sounds in the Microwave were just from some leftover popcorn kernels.
Maybe this is the driver telling me the process has completed. Not sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back