Purchasing Sennheisers
Feb 17, 2011 at 11:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Vanbuskirk

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi Forums!

I have scanned used these forums many times for hints in purchasing headphones and really like these forums, but now I have interest in a higher value set of headphones and was interested in some feedback for my options.

I currently own a pair of Sennheiser HD 428 (set purchased from Best Buy) and also a Audio Technica ATH-Pro700sv (set purchased from Wal-Mart). Now I have nothing wrong with these headphones as both of them produce good sound, especially the ATH's but they become uncomfortable after a couple hours. Because I am aiming to pass these headphones to my friends, I am looking for another pair of headphones.

So, I am currently looking at the HD 555, the HD 595, the HD 598, the HD 558, and the HD 600. Upon researching these I found the HD 600 had good reviews like the others and looks like to produce the best sound. My budget is somewhere in the $300 range. Just to clarify I am looking for I guess "balanced" headphones. I used to own a pair of Beats Pro and as awesome as the sound was, I could not help but feel that it overpowers the treble and bass and leaves the mids to be desired. I am not too audio-tech savvy I hope I explained it well. 

If anyone could help it would be much appreciated!

Feb 17, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #2 of 10
Hello Head-Fi Forums!

I have scanned used these forums many times for hints in purchasing headphones and really like these forums, but now I have interest in a higher value set of headphones and was interested in some feedback for my options.

I currently own a pair of Sennheiser HD 428 (set purchased from Best Buy) and also a Audio Technica ATH-Pro700sv (set purchased from Wal-Mart). Now I have nothing wrong with these headphones as both of them produce good sound, especially the ATH's but they become uncomfortable after a couple hours. Because I am aiming to pass these headphones to my friends, I am looking for another pair of headphones.

So, I am currently looking at the HD 555, the HD 595, the HD 598, the HD 558, and the HD 600. Upon researching these I found the HD 600 had good reviews like the others and looks like to produce the best sound. My budget is somewhere in the $300 range. Just to clarify I am looking for I guess "balanced" headphones. I used to own a pair of Beats Pro and as awesome as the sound was, I could not help but feel that it overpowers the treble and bass and leaves the mids to be desired. I am not too audio-tech savvy I hope I explained it well. 

If anyone could help it would be much appreciated!

The HD-600 would be perfect for what you described.

Feb 17, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #3 of 10
Yes, the HD-600 would fit your needs; I think you would be happy with them.

A note about "balanced," though. The HD-600 has a nicely balanced response - no frequency range dominates. However, don't mistake that for balanced drive. That involves amplifiers and is something else entirely.

Feb 17, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #4 of 10
What would the closedback equivalent to the HD-600's be? I'd love to get some open air ones but unfortunately my coworkers and others nearby may not appreciate it!

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:17 AM Post #7 of 10
Ah ok thanks much! I will look into purchasing the HD 600's. Are there any other headphones that match its performance as far as other companies? I do not know many other companies besides the sennheiser or beyerdynamics.

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #8 of 10
The ones usually pitted against it are the AKG K701 (K702 is the same in different color and a detachable cable, also more expensive) and Beyerdynamic DT 880. I´d suggest going for the HD 600, it´s the safest choice. AKG and Beyer have a more polarising sound signature. Some love them (especially the K701), but many also hate. The HD 600 is something most people like, and the company has a good track record in the headphone world. Personally I don´t think you can go wrong with Sennheiser.

Feb 18, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #9 of 10
I love my HD650 because they really balanced very natural sounding clear and transparent, which i got for just 350 from J&R while some people were able to get them even a little bit cheaper. I also heard DT990 (still on sale at for sale forum) but their highs are bright, DT880 have no brightness but they not as detailed as DT990

Users who are viewing this thread

Back