PSB M4U1 - Thoughts?
Jun 13, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #316 of 630

It just looks like the plastic layer got scuffed before the top gloss-coat was applied (well, fused). I wouldn't worry. Enjoy!

beerchug.gif

Ahh that makes sense. I noticed that the white lines are symmetric on both sides of the headband, so it may well actually be scuff marks from the manufacturing process. Thanks for the input guys! Now my mind can be at ease.. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 12, 2015 at 6:30 AM Post #317 of 630
Anybody has bought/heard the new PSB M4U 4 IEM?

Jul 12, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #318 of 630
Jul 13, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #319 of 630
Jul 18, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #321 of 630
Jul 18, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #322 of 630
So, I've had a chance to play with an AKG K545, and I'm honestly a little stumped. It seems like the K545 does everything the M4U does, and has even a bit more extension down low. It also fits more nicely and is lighter...not a game-breaker, but it does help. The M4U2 has noise-cancelling (which works really well, I couldn't hear an air conditioner fifteen feet away), and the amp which beefs everything up, but even without those things the K545 seems very similar. Do any of you have the K545, or have tried it enough to comment? Are there things I'm missing, maybe songs which would really put the M4U2 into a position where it played to its strengths in a way the K545 simply can't?

I got the guys at the headphone store I bought the M4U2 at to give me more time with them. They're going to be changing their return policy to thirty days. Since my last message I've returned the PSB, but I have told them I was unsure and they said I could get them again and try for thirty days if I wanted.

The more I play, the more I realize I like well-extended bass that can hit with authority when called for, but which doesn't overpower the hell out of everything. The x2 has it, mostly, but it's open, and I'm leaning more and more to closed cans. Wondering if the Focal Spirit Classic or HP50 is worth trying if I wasn't utterly wowed by the M4U.

Jul 19, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #323 of 630
So, I've had a chance to play with an AKG K545, and I'm honestly a little stumped. It seems like the K545 does everything the M4U does, and has even a bit more extension down low. It also fits more nicely and is lighter...not a game-breaker, but it does help. The M4U2 has noise-cancelling (which works really well, I couldn't hear an air conditioner fifteen feet away), and the amp which beefs everything up, but even without those things the K545 seems very similar. Do any of you have the K545, or have tried it enough to comment? Are there things I'm missing, maybe songs which would really put the M4U2 into a position where it played to its strengths in a way the K545 simply can't?

I got the guys at the headphone store I bought the M4U2 at to give me more time with them. They're going to be changing their return policy to thirty days. Since my last message I've returned the PSB, but I have told them I was unsure and they said I could get them again and try for thirty days if I wanted.

The more I play, the more I realize I like well-extended bass that can hit with authority when called for, but which doesn't overpower the hell out of everything. The x2 has it, mostly, but it's open, and I'm leaning more and more to closed cans. Wondering if the Focal Spirit Classic or HP50 is worth trying if I wasn't utterly wowed by the M4U.

The M4U ain't bass shy, far from it. However, it gives deep bass only when the recording calls for it...:wink:

Jul 26, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #325 of 630
I will need more time with them (and time to write) in order to give a full review, but i spent a few hours with them yesterday. Holy crap. A. yes ,they sound smashing right out of the box. (so much so that i find it hard to imagine how much more they could improve from burn in.) B. wow, they sound better, far better than any closed can i've used yet. They sound almost as good as my HD 598's, and the soundstage seems almost as wide. Which is just impossible to believe. But the raves are true. They are amazing. I'm using them with my Fiio E07k with the bass tweaked to +2.

I *am* having some comfort issues. They are heavy, but the issue for me is the clamping pressure..my head is big and on the most open setting of the band they still clamp rather forcefully. this aids the seal, but i'm hoping they ease up a bit with use. However i did fall asleep with them on in bed last night so they can't be *that* uncomfortable!

I will attempt a full review after some time with them, but initially my reaction is WOW...the folks who described them as "shockingly good" are right. I'm shocked by the sound, the clarity, the presence and the soundstage. I can't imagine any other sub-500 (let alone sub 400) dollar closed can sounding this great.

Do you still think that the soundstage is as good/wide as your 598s?

Jul 26, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #326 of 630

Equal to greater. Impressive for a closed back headphone.

beerchug.gif

Jul 26, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #327 of 630
Wow, really?
eek.gif
  I'm really looking forward to receiving mine from the ebay auction, I won them for £79!  I have the Philips X1 which is quite refined but perhaps the bass is a bit wooly and the mids are a bit recessed.  Maybe the m4u1s could replace them if the soundstage is wide like the 598's.  Or maybe I could sell my Yamaha hph200's.

Jul 26, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #328 of 630
Wow, really?:eek:   I'm really looking forward to receiving mine from the ebay auction, I won them for £79!  I have the Philips X1 which is quite refined but perhaps the bass is a bit wooly and the mids are a bit recessed.  Maybe the m4u1s could replace them if the soundstage is wide like the 598's.  Or maybe I could sell my Yamaha hph200's.
IMHO, the M4U1 is leagues better than the X1 or even L1 (IMO L1 is better than X1).

Jul 26, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #329 of 630

I think it's close. I use these phones every day, and I am still very impressed...they have that closed vibe in the way they feel isolated, but there is definitely a very wide (for closed cans) soundstage.

I find them a bit hard to describe, because they have aspects of both, in a good way. If circumstances dictate I need to used closed phones, these are the ones I use, without exception. I still love them, and I have a hard time believing you can get a better closed can sub-300 bucks.

Jul 27, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #330 of 630
I'm having a hard time believeing an over $300 will be better...definitely not the cans that I've sold...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back