PSB M4U 2
Oct 13, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #196 of 733
Quote:

I've very much enjoyed reading your assessments, Craig, and appreciate your dutiful approach to every 'phone you acquire.  Although I feel that we sometimes hear/perceive specific kit differently, I have no doubts that your comparative writing has directly contributed to me more competently allocating my money and, of greater importance, my time.  Thank you for chiming in!

Thank you for the kind words.  I have found my time on Head-fi a great learning experience and in some small way with my relatively new and limited experience, I am attempting to "pay it forward".

Oct 13, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #197 of 733
So the M4U2 are more detailed than the M-100's? So from what I understood the M-100's have more and better bass, am I wrong? Could you guys be a bit more specific, please? :)

P.S. The most detailed bass I have ever heard next to the Hippo VB, was from the DENON HP700. They're just more mid-bass centric, with little sub-bass, while the Hippo VB's put more weight on the sub-bass, which I would love to have on the DENON's, thats why I'm still looking for the "perfect" headphone. The HP700 would be it if it was not the sub-bass issue.

P.P.S. So for now on my short list:

1. AKG K267 Tiesto (know nothing about them though, just a feeling)
2. V-Moda M-100
3. UE6000
4. M4U 12

* just don't have the $$$ to buy any so soon. Just dreaming. lol

Oct 13, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #198 of 733
Quote:
So the M4U2 are more detailed than the M-100's? So from what I understood the M-100's have more and better bass, am I wrong? Could you guys be a bit more specific, please? :)

P.S. The most detailed bass I have ever heard next to the Hippo VB, was from the DENON HP700. They're just more mid-bass centric, with little sub-bass, while the Hippo VB's put more weight on the sub-bass, which I would love to have on the DENON's, thats why I'm still looking for the "perfect" headphone. The HP700 would be it if it was not the sub-bass issue.

P.P.S. So for now on my short list:

1. AKG K267 Tiesto (know nothing about them though, just a feeling)
2. V-Moda M-100
3. UE6000
4. M4U 1

* just don't have the $$$ to buy any so soon. Just dreaming. lol

I would say detail between M4U2 and M-100 is too close to call.  M4U2 is no slouch in the bass department, but M-100 bass is tighter and punchier.  Both have zero midrange bleed.  Your short list and my short list are identical except I now own and am keeping #2 and #3 :wink:

Oct 13, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #199 of 733
I don't find the PSB to sound clinical at all. They have a flat signature to them and sound accurate, but don't have the sterile sound that some gear has. I find them very fun to listen to.

Keep in mind that this is all in active mode where the 'Room Feel' kicks in and the bass gets kicked up a notch. They have an even more flat response in passive mode but don't excite me there. If you're looking for passive only I actually prefer the M100

Oct 15, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #201 of 733
I personally do not like the UE6000 or UE9000 after some time with them, although they're very good for what they are.  If you really like those UE cans then I doubt you'll like the PSB, as they're very different.

The UE cans are more warm sounding and I tend to like a more neutral or even a bit forward sound with more excitement.  But I don't want something that's bright either, so something like the Grado cans are out.  I want something in the middle and the PSB just nails that combination for me.  

The UE are very nice cans and if you're looking for a more laid back sound they're a great choice, just not for me.

Oct 15, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #202 of 733
Quote:
I personally do not like the UE6000 or UE9000 after some time with them, although they're very good for what they are.  If you really like those UE cans then I doubt you'll like the PSB, as they're very different.

The UE cans are more warm sounding and I tend to like a more neutral or even a bit forward sound with more excitement.  But I don't want something that's bright either, so something like the Grado cans are out.  I want something in the middle and the PSB just nails that combination for me.  

The UE are very nice cans and if you're looking for a more laid back sound they're a great choice, just not for me.

I still like my UE6000 and M-100 very much, but also have an appreciation for the PSB.  They sound great across the range with superior bass to M-100 and superior high end to UE6000.  I would still like to audition the M4U1. 

Oct 15, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #204 of 733
Quote:
You mean superior in quantity, right? Not quality. I'm talking about the bass (M100 vs M4U2)

Different- quantity and depth is better with M4U2, but punch and musicality is better with M-100.  Both provide excellent bass without, IMO a bass-heavy sound.  The amount of bass is more determined by the recording.

Oct 15, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #205 of 733
Quote:
You mean superior in quantity, right? Not quality. I'm talking about the bass (M100 vs M4U2)

Different- quantity and depth is better with M4U2, but punch and musicality is better with M-100.  Both provide excellent bass without, IMO a bass-heavy sound.  The amount of bass is more determined by the recording.

Really?? Last week I met up with my Tokyo Head-Fi folks & brought my M4U2, M-100, & Momentums.

The M4U2 was the most bass anemic had the least bass of the three to our hearing. Anyway I gave the M4U2 to the other Tokyo Head-Fier after the meet - some Canadian nostalgia going on there.

Edit: bass terminology comparison clarified.

Oct 16, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #206 of 733
Quote:
Really?? Last week I met up with my Tokyo Head-Fi folks & brought my M4U2, M-100, & Momentums.
The M4U2 was the most bass anemic of the three to our hearing. Anyway I gave the M4U2 to the other Tokyo Head-Fier after the meet - some Canadian nostalgia going on there.

I remember feeling sub bass more, but I should follow your prudence and A/B them.  Is it possible the M-100 bass is so fast, the deep notes don't linger long enough so they don't seem to have the same impact?  I listened to both with my FiiO E11 and the M4U2 is highly scalable as well.

Oct 16, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #208 of 733
Yeah, no kidding!

Oct 16, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #210 of 733
Quote:

He didn't say bass anemic, he said the most bass anemic of the three.

Well how could he say most bass anemic of the three and not say bass anemic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back