PS1000 vs. LCD-2
Nov 30, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #32 of 38

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Actually, planar magnetic headphones have been called omni-dynamic, linear drive dynamic, ortho-dynamic...  as you see, with the word "dynamic" in them.

Quote:
The LCD-2 is not a dynamic headphone, it is a planar headphone. If you are attempting to convey something else in your post then I suggest that you redraft it, and lose the attitude.

I take your point, but in general usage within these forum threads, the term "dynamic" or "dynamic driver" is referring to headphones with moving coil drivers, rather than Planar magnetic headphones. Ortho-dynamic is more commonly used to describe Planar magnetic headphones than the other terms that you have mentioned. Audez'e actually refer to the LCD-2 as Planar magnetic rather than ortho-dynamic.

You are wrong. Orthodynamics are dynamic headphones (as opposed to electrostatic or magnetostatic headphones). They are a special type of dynamics, but still dynamics.

And you are blunt. 
smile.gif
 I really have nothing further to add to the post that you've quoted. Again, I'm happy to take this discussion to PMs.

Nov 30, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #34 of 38
To the OP, I apologise for my part in derailing your thread. That wasn't my intention as I am genuinely interested in a comparison of these two headphones. Hopefully, the thread will get back on track now. 
smile_phones.gif

Dec 1, 2010 at 7:59 AM Post #35 of 38

Quote:
  nice post bilavideo.. 

x lots.

I like my PS1000's. Not as much as my HD800's.
I like the LCD-2's too. Not as much as my HD800's.
I like my HE60's. Almost as much as my HD800's.
But that's me.
I can see any of these being someone's favourite 'phone depending what they listen to and what they look for in musical reproduction.
We can all have our opinions, preferences and enjoyment of our headphones.
Argue as much as you like as long as it doesn't spoil your appreciation of your music - or anyone elses'.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Dec 2, 2010 at 2:09 AM Post #36 of 38

Quote:

Quote:
  nice post bilavideo.. 

x lots.

I like my PS1000's. Not as much as my HD800's.
I like the LCD-2's too. Not as much as my HD800's.
I like my HE60's. Almost as much as my HD800's.
But that's me.
I can see any of these being someone's favourite 'phone depending what they listen to and what they look for in musical reproduction.
We can all have our opinions, preferences and enjoyment of our headphones.
Argue as much as you like as long as it doesn't spoil your appreciation of your music - or anyone elses'.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for the input! I think I tend to value musicality over analytical listening, so it sounds like the PS1000 would be the right headphones for me. It seems like they'd be amazing with some nice jazz tunes too. Would you agree?

Also, how well do you think the PS1000s would reproduce small acoustic guitar sessions? Like a guitar trio for example? I've read varying things from just good all the way up to stellar performance and I don't know what to make of it!

Dec 2, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #37 of 38

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Actually, planar magnetic headphones have been called omni-dynamic, linear drive dynamic, ortho-dynamic...  as you see, with the word "dynamic" in them.

Quote:
The LCD-2 is not a dynamic headphone, it is a planar headphone. If you are attempting to convey something else in your post then I suggest that you redraft it, and lose the attitude.

I take your point, but in general usage within these forum threads, the term "dynamic" or "dynamic driver" is referring to headphones with moving coil drivers, rather than Planar magnetic headphones. Ortho-dynamic is more commonly used to describe Planar magnetic headphones than the other terms that you have mentioned. Audez'e actually refer to the LCD-2 as Planar magnetic rather than ortho-dynamic.

You are wrong. Orthodynamics are dynamic headphones (as opposed to electrostatic or magnetostatic headphones). They are a special type of dynamics, but still dynamics.

And you are blunt. 
smile.gif
 I really have nothing further to add to the post that you've quoted. Again, I'm happy to take this discussion to PMs.

Yes.
Orthodynamic drivers use a voice coil to move the diaphragm lika any other dynamic driver. Electrostats and magnetostats don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back