PS Audio's new DAC - NuWave
Jan 5, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #76 of 128
I'm sticking with the impressions I posted earlier. In my experience the Bifrost, while a good DAC for the money, is not capable of keeping up with the level of performance offered by the NuWave, Gungnir, and Concero.

Jan 5, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #77 of 128
Quote:
Hi All!
this is my first post on Head-Fi, but I've appreciated lurking for some time now.  I'm a speaker guy, but it seems that the group in this forum is more up on computer audio than in other forums.  

I've been listening to my Bifrost for a while now and recently got a Nuwave DAC.  I'm currently struggling with whether or not to keep the Nuwave.  I posted my impressions of both DACs in the Audiokarma modern hifi forum.  I haven't gotten much in the way of responses there, so I'm broadening my horizons.

Review: Schiit Bifrost vs PS Audio Nuwave DAC

Has anyone here been listening to a Nuwave?  I'm anxiously awaiting HiFiGuy528's review.  

Welcome to Head-Fi, thanks for posting a link instead of copying your thread and simply re-posting it here. 
bigsmile_face.gif

(Because you added to an existing thread, I found your post.)

Have not yet posted about my experience with the NWD because I didn't keep it long enough
  1. The NWD did seem slightly warmer than my Benchmark and so it was pleasing (while still maintaining detail).
  2. The NWD wasn't quite nice/different enough for me to want to deal with the extra size and lack of versatility in comparison to my Benchmark (that has headphone-outs). 
  3. Paid less for the Benchmark, so would have been $350 more and still not as far as I want to go for my bright HD800.
  4. Bottom line: the NWD was nice enough for me to just get a used PWD2 instead.  

Maybe consider your current/future headphones and areas you want to improve?
  1. If you are gonna go "brighter" with phones, the "warmer" Bifrost might be better.  
  1. If you are gonna go "darker" on phones or don't get fatigue with current ones, go with the NuWave if you feel it has more clarity.

DACs are harder to compare and be sure about.  Sounds like you could enjoy either DAC- so "low stress"...
tongue.gif

Jan 5, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #78 of 128
Quote:
Hi All!
this is my first post on Head-Fi, but I've appreciated lurking for some time now.  I'm a speaker guy, but it seems that the group in this forum is more up on computer audio than in other forums.  

I've been listening to my Bifrost for a while now and recently got a Nuwave DAC.  I'm currently struggling with whether or not to keep the Nuwave.  I posted my impressions of both DACs in the Audiokarma modern hifi forum.  I haven't gotten much in the way of responses there, so I'm broadening my horizons.

Review: Schiit Bifrost vs PS Audio Nuwave DAC

Has anyone here been listening to a Nuwave?  I'm anxiously awaiting HiFiGuy528's review.  

Nice write-up, thanks! It's tough to say if you should keep the NuWave or not. Normally my answer to this type of thing is as follows - choose the one you enjoy most. Easier said than done, of course.

As I read your impressions, it seems to me that you do like the PS Audio unit a bit more than the Schiit, but not by a large amount. So then we get into the tricky predicament of placing a monetary value on a small improvement. At that point other factors come in to play - do you like the looks of the NuWave more? Or is the more compact Schiit easier to place in your system? It really comes down to which one you'll be most happy with over time. Can you keep the Bifrost knowing you like the sound and you saved some cash? Or will it always nag at you that you could have had something better, however slight the improvement may have been? Answer that and you'll know which one to keep. 

EDIT - CEE TEE beat me to it with multiple salient points. Dang. 

Jan 5, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #79 of 128
Luckily I'm in a situation where the Bifrost is definitely staying.  I have 2 spots in 2 different systems to fill.  The question in my mind is whether or not to return the Nuwave and get something else.  Gungnir...?  One of the reasons I bought the Nuwave rather than the Gungnir was to try something different; different company, different design philosophy.

It sounds like the Benchmark is not for me either if the Nuwave is warmer by comparision.

Indeed, I do think the Nuwave is a bit better than the Bifrost, but I'm not sure that I'd even miss the difference.  Project86, you hit the nail on the head about diminishing returns.  That's why I'm not planning on going higher up the DAC performance ladder.  

As of this moment, I'm leaving toward keeping the Nuwave.  Inertia has its way.  And like CEE TEE said, low stress.

Jan 8, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #81 of 128
Feb 16, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #82 of 128

In Mac OSX under Applications->Utilities->Audio Midi Setup there is a dialog box for setting bit and frequency. To play red book with the Nuwave and its Native setting, what bit and frequency do I set in the Audio Midi Setup, 16/44.1, 24/44.1, etc. to optimize the sound?

Feb 16, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #83 of 128
Quote:
In Mac OSX under Applications->Utilities->Audio Midi Setup there is a dialog box for setting bit and frequency. To play red book with the Nuwave and its Native setting, what bit and frequency do I set in the Audio Midi Setup, 16/44.1, 24/44.1, etc. to optimize the sound?

24/88.2

Mar 30, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #84 of 128
New Nuwave owner here.  I'm currently using the Nuwave with a Resonessence Concero as a USB converter to the coax input of the Nuwave.  I'm quite liking the combo so far.  It's a reasonable upgrade over just the Concero as a DAC.  Also did some comparisons of the Concero and Nuwave as USB DACs on their own.

As DACs on their I would slightly recommend the Concero to most users over the Nuwave, though some may still prefer the Nuwave depending on their taste.  Both on their own are pretty decent for the money and in the same league I feel.  The Nuwave generally has the edge on dynamics and detail on it's own via USB input.  

The Nuwave has the tendency to sound a bit flatter in the soundstage and a more sterile or boring compared to the Concero.  The Nuwave does however, have a very "fast" sound in that it seems to quickly respond and track small, quick dynamic changes (Transient response, I think?)

The Nuwave also has a noticeably blacker background, likely due to the dedicated power supply.  However, the Concero seems just slightly more dynamically restrained, likely due to the lack of a dedicated output stage and power supply.  There is just less "Jump" factor with the Concero.    The Concero is smoother in the treble region and likely to match with a wider variety of systems.

However, when feeding the Nuwave using the Concero, the Nuwave actually seems to take on a majority of the positive traits of the Concero, while still keeping the Nuwave's excellent dynamics, speed, and black background.  Immediately noticeable when adding the Concero is a much better depth of image in the soundstage  

It's actually quite an addictive combo for me.  Currently using the Resonessence linear phase apodizing filter feeding the Nuwave in native mode.  I like to think of it as my poor man's Invicta/PWD hybrid 
biggrin.gif

Of course, the Nuwave is just a beautifully built unit as well.  I just wish they would make an updated GCHA in a Nuwave Chassis with some modern updates.  That would be one good looking stack.  Looks kind of silly stacked on my SA-31 at the moment.

Apr 30, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #86 of 128
Quote:
System matching is crucial. The Nuwave is giving me excellent sound in my system.

I would agree with this.  I'm still unsure if I really want to sell it or not.  It does some things really well but on it's own (without Concero as converter), it can be rather aggressively forward sounding.  This would probably be great with something like the LCD-2 though.

I did get to listen to my Nuwave-Concero combo with a Burson Soloist SL and really liked the synergy with the HD800.  My only concern is if I sell the Concero or Nuwave I may lose some of the synergy I heard with the full system.  I suppose I could just sell my amp and try to squeeze out the difference from my paycheck for the Soloist.  That and I want to go for the full size Soloist but I'm hoping to find a good demo price if I'm lucky.  

May 1, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #87 of 128
I would agree with this.  I'm still unsure if I really want to sell it or not.  It does some things really well but on it's own (without Concero as converter), it can be rather aggressively forward sounding.  This would probably be great with something like the LCD-2 though.

I did get to listen to my Nuwave-Concero combo with a Burson Soloist SL and really liked the synergy with the HD800.  My only concern is if I sell the Concero or Nuwave I may lose some of the synergy I heard with the full system.  I suppose I could just sell my amp and try to squeeze out the difference from my paycheck for the Soloist.  That and I want to go for the full size Soloist but I'm hoping to find a good demo price if I'm lucky.  

I have never had the pleasure of listening with the HD800, but I have read that they are so revealing that they may not be the best match for the Nuwave.

May 1, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #88 of 128
I have never had the pleasure of listening with the HD800, but I have read that they are so revealing that they may not be the best match for the Nuwave.

NuWave + Lehmann Audio Black Cube Linear + HD800 = Magic!

May 1, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #89 of 128

PS Audio recommended 44.1, it defaults to 24 bit depth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back