PS Audio's new DAC - NuWave
Dec 4, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #46 of 128
Yuceka's 'thing' was a CLAS, btw.

I found the Nuwave to have some strange goings-on in the soundstage department. Almost like a reverb as the sound hit a wall and reflected back to you in an unnatural way. Also the bass was overemphasized on all genres, despite it being well textured and controlled. This was especially apparent on a jazz piece Yuceka played where the string bass was certainly more present than it would be live, and the sax had a thickness to it that I and another (who played in a jazz group) found not true to life.

The Nuwave is a detail king for sure, though. The brushes on that jazz piece were phenomenal, significantly better than the Gungnir, but as a whole I much preferred the Gungnir to the Nuwave. The inconsistency of the input ports leaves me scared of the unit as well.

Dec 4, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #47 of 128
Yes that was my main hesitation because I need a DAC that will function ideally via USB without the need for another dedicated converter.

Now that I've heard both, I'm hoping to find one with the detail of the NuWave and the naturalness of the Gungnir. Which will likely kick me up into another price tier. *sigh*

Dec 4, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #48 of 128
Quote:
Yes that was my main hesitation because I need a DAC that will function ideally via USB without the need for another dedicated converter.

Now that I've heard both, I'm hoping to find one with the detail of the NuWave and the naturalness of the Gungnir. Which will likely kick me up into another price tier. *sigh*

Before you jump into four-digit territory, don't rule out the Concero.  Unless you absolutely need balanced output, it might give you what you're looking for for less than $700 including shipping.

Dec 5, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #49 of 128
(thread has been forwarded to PS Audio... perhaps they will help shed some light on the issue we were having)

The Concero looks interesting, but it is hard to believe such a modest USB-powered device could compete. Then again, hearing is believing. At its price I'd be interested to know how well it fares against the Schiit Gungnir.

Dec 5, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #50 of 128
Yuceka's 'thing' was a CLAS, btw.
I found the Nuwave to have some strange goings-on in the soundstage department. Almost like a reverb as the sound hit a wall and reflected back to you in an unnatural way. Also the bass was overemphasized on all genres, despite it being well textured and controlled. This was especially apparent on a jazz piece Yuceka played where the string bass was certainly more present than it would be live, and the sax had a thickness to it that I and another (who played in a jazz group) found not true to life.
The Nuwave is a detail king for sure, though. The brushes on that jazz piece were phenomenal, significantly better than the Gungnir, but as a whole I much preferred the Gungnir to the Nuwave. The inconsistency of the input ports leaves me scared of the unit as well.

Remind us your system?

Dec 5, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #51 of 128
1. Dell Vostro 1400 laptop -> USB to NuWave -> Decware CSP+ / Bryston BHA-1 -> HD800.
2. Rotel CD player -> coaxial to NuWave -> ditto
3. Mac Airbook -> USB to Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo -> coaxial to NuWave -> ditto

We also demoed with an assortment of Stax amps and cans. 

#1 and #2 exhibited the issue. #3 was much improved but we lacked the time to research in further detail.

Even with #3, Maxvla and jerikl did not prefer the way bass and saxophone were rendered, but Yuceka bought it. 

As for me, since I do not own a CLAS, I'd have to pass on the NuWave since I need a direct USB connection.

Dec 5, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #53 of 128
You guys are describing this DAC the way I describe the PWD. Good but there's better option for roughly the same or slightly less money. Sure is a shame...but I guess I expected it.

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #54 of 128
Quote:
You guys are describing this DAC the way I describe the PWD. Good but there's better option for roughly the same or slightly less money. Sure is a shame...but I guess I expected it.

I've no doubt in my mind that the PWD is in a different class than the NWD ~ the sound signatures did not seem to be similar in my experience!

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #55 of 128

Agreed, I heard the PWD the same way (haven't tried the latest iteration though). I know people who swear by it, but it just didn't blow me away either. I hardly comment about it though since so many people love the PWD - don't want to ruffle feathers unless I had the thing here for extensive listening and could be absolutely sure about my opinion.

Dec 5, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #57 of 128
I recently gave back the PWD and PWT I had on extended loan and I really disliked a lot about it. It was an upgrade from my 851C but only slightly...and at 4 times the price for the same feature set I can say I wasn't impressed. 

This Cantana I'm demoing is pretty stellar though, and I've been impressed by Ayon's tube CDPs. The Cantana is 2k less (new) than the PW Pair (New) and so much better. 

I'd like to hear this DAC, but the talk of it having that same 'PS Audio sound' makes me in no particular hurry.

Quote:
Agreed, I heard the PWD the same way (haven't tried the latest iteration though). I know people who swear by it, but it just didn't blow me away either. I hardly comment about it though since so many people love the PWD - don't want to ruffle feathers unless I had the thing here for extensive listening and could be absolutely sure about my opinion.

Dec 5, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #58 of 128
Are we talking about the Cantata Music Center from Resolution Audio? The one with the cool display and costs $6500? 
blink.gif

Dec 5, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #60 of 128
Not me. It'd be pretty high on the priority list. As of now the list is probably as follows...

Small Debts
Speakers
Speaker Amp
Turntable (I'm liking analogue so much I want to upgrade already)
Cantana

I ain't buyin' new though. They hit about 4.3k used.

Quote:
That be the one!  Wish I could spring for it... then again if I had that kind of cash to throw around I have a million other things I'd buy first.

Yup. It's a pretty sexy piece of kit. It even comes in a wooden crate. I got a loaner and it's the best digital front end I've heard.

Quote:
Are we talking about the Cantata Music Center from Resolution Audio? The one with the cool display and costs $6500? 
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back