PS Audio's new DAC - NuWave
Feb 7, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #121 of 128
  I think I would prefer nails on a chalkboard! 
biggrin.gif
 On a more serious note, I would check out the Ciunas DAC. I think it would make a very nice and musical pairing with the HD800. If you are into classical music the NuWave could be a nice match and the HD800 should overcome some of the DACs soundstage deficiencies, but I have a feeling it's going to sound way too bright.

The HD800 with the Nuwave is pretty aggressive, though when I used the Concero it fixed alot of the problems with the Nuwave with it's custom filters

i heard the NuWave got more sparkling treble and more fun than the concero, so i got my eyes on it atm :p also the upper mid/female vocal seems to be nice on the nuwave,

i will have to choose between the concero or the nuwave now ;/ 

any suggestion people? ^^ and thanks :p 

It could work for you given what you are looking for.  Like I said above, if you can afford to keep both, try running the Concero into the Nuwave.  Though, I recently got a great deal on a used Anedio D1 and I'm enjoying it more than both of them.  Running into my Burson Soloist at the moment.

Feb 8, 2014 at 5:35 AM Post #122 of 128
  The HD800 with the Nuwave is pretty aggressive, though when I used the Concero it fixed alot of the problems with the Nuwave with it's custom filters

It could work for you given what you are looking for.  Like I said above, if you can afford to keep both, try running the Concero into the Nuwave.  Though, I recently got a great deal on a used Anedio D1 and I'm enjoying it more than both of them.  Running into my Burson Soloist at the moment.

i use UM Miralce and Mentor, i guess the WA7 and EH tubes isn't for a treble head like me so i bought pico slim amp and will hook it with the Concero on the IIR filter, hope the Treble will be what i enjoy after, was told by dubstepgirl that the WA7(EH tubes) isn't for treble heads

Jul 26, 2014 at 7:03 AM Post #123 of 128
I thought I would dig this old thread up....just to say that this dac was recommended to me for a dac that cost $1000 as a nice pairing with my HD800.

Spot on....the detail is off the hook and i have not used EQ since I bought it.

I also found it brand new for $650.

Very stellar piece of equipment for that price.....I have it paired with my Mad Ear+HD

Thanks a ton, Peter   
beerchug.gif

Jul 27, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #124 of 128
  I thought I would dig this old thread up....just to say that this dac was recommended to me for a dac that cost $1000 as a nice pairing with my HD800.

Spot on....the detail is off the hook and i have not used EQ since I bought it.

I also found it brand new for $650.

Very stellar piece of equipment for that price.....I have it paired with my Mad Ear+HD

Thanks a ton, Peter   
beerchug.gif

It's not a bad DAC by any means.  And you're right, the level of detail is one of it's strong points.  It does seem rather sensitive though, to the quality and method of the digital input used.

Jul 27, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #125 of 128
The Mad Ear must smooth out some of the Nuwave's treble edge, otherwise I'm not sure my ears would survive with a headphone like the HD800. I already found it quite hot with the HE-500. The Nuwave is definitely a very detailed DAC, especially on Hires tracks and it has quite startling dynamics, but definitely agree with JWahl that it is finicky. Chucking in a good quality USB->SPDIF converter would make it a very competitive DAC at the price.

Jul 27, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #126 of 128
I do not find the treble to bright at all....granted I am a huge Grado fan, but the Mad Ear smoothed the treble nicely with the RS1i.

Jul 28, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #127 of 128
  I do not find the treble to bright at all....granted I am a huge Grado fan, but the Mad Ear smoothed the treble nicely with the RS1i.

Wished I had an opportunity to try the Mad Ear with the RS1i I had, sounds like a nice synergistic combination. I have also since found that the Tributaries Series 9 ICs that I was using at the time with NuWave just compounded the brightness. With a warmer cable it is a touch better, but its definitely more suited to speakers.

Jul 30, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #128 of 128
The Mad & RS1 combo is really good.

The Mad is very nice with many headphones.......and rolling tubes is much cheaper than many amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back