Project Ember Tube Rolling
Feb 21, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #1,981 of 3,354
My Ember is quiet, My 6j5 adapter is quiet with the right tubes the Visseaux are very quiet 
biggrin.gif

Feb 21, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #1,982 of 3,354
  My Ember is quiet, My 6j5 adapter is quiet with the right tubes the Visseaux are very quiet 
biggrin.gif

Good to hear, joespride! 

My current pair of Visseaux 6J5G are a bit microphonic (but then again, all tubes are to one degree or another!)...................but no buzz, hum, pinging or tube 'rush' sound.

Here's hoping my next pair of Visseaux are as well behaved as this pair!

Feb 21, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #1,983 of 3,354
  @d3rrlck I'd like to give you a hearty welcome to this thread! Your post on the DIY buzz reduction / Mummified Ember was exemplary! If this tests well with other Ember's (and I'm sure it will), then by golly this is going to be nothing short of the ultimate buzzkill 
wink.gif
  A buzz-free revolution where us tube owners no have to rely on asinine methods such as running a thick wire into the bathroom our out the window, electrical rewiring, inline limiters, etc.

Was this your own idea? If so, I really think we owe you a reward of some kind. Your reputation is off to a great start on this site! 

Can't wait to see someone else test it out, and if all goes well I'll be on board too.

Thanks DecentLevi! I bought my Ember2 last December 2015, and kinda started with 6SN7 tubes. The ember2 is actually my very first tube amp, after a long time user of SS amp.It was only last month (January 2016) when I decided to get the 6L5G and 6J5G after reading so much positive review here so thanks to you guys for actively posting in this thread which is very helpful for newbie like me to discover the wonderful sound of tube amp :)

When I got the 6L5G / 6J5G along with the adapter, I was caught by surprised by the hum / buzzing sound which is kinda unexpected. I was also puzzled that I'm only experiencing the hum / buzzing sound on dual tube setup, the ember2 is dead quiet on stock tube and a couple of 6SN7 tubes that I rolled previously. The hum / buzzing sound is more like a 60Hz buzz which is pretty loud on my ember2. As mentioned in my first post, I tried all sorts of grounding which significantly reduced the buzzing sound but there is still a faint hum which is noticeable enough to annoy me. I ran out of idea on how to eliminate the hum so I consulted with Jeremy of Garage1217, in which he told me this:

"The 60hz hum is likely due to the large tubes and adapter acting like an antenna. No real workaround for this. A good quality linear supply like the one we will be releasing soon will probably help with this as 60hz hum would be coming from electronics / mains and other transformers in the vicinity"

So this led me to googling about "EMI shielding" in which I learned about the Faraday cage. So to test this solution on ember, I started with aluminum foil which I eventually replaced with aluminum mesh cage (because I could not stand the look of the aluminum foil lol)

Feb 21, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #1,984 of 3,354
So this led me to googling about "EMI shielding" in which I learned about the Faraday cage. So to test this solution on ember, I started with aluminum foil which I eventually replaced with aluminum mesh cage (because I could not stand the look of the aluminum foil lol)  

That picture makes it look like you are baking a couple of potatoes with your amp!
floatsmile.png

Feb 21, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #1,986 of 3,354
Well I for one prefer the simplicity of the foil solution to the 'jail' solution. @d3rrlck, would you say the foil solution was able to minimuze the buzz as well as the jail solution? (assuming each solution in their best setup). If not, how much better/worse was the result with the foil solution, audibly?

@jaywillin you said you tried the foil solution. But was it done the same way as the photo above? If not, would you mind revisiting that to try again - see if maybe it lasts longer than 30 seconds? (notice that wire also); of which can also be connected to one of several other areas including the top of capacitors, RCA jacks or the negative power connection.

Feb 21, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #1,987 of 3,354
  Well I for one prefer the simplicity of the foil solution to the 'jail' solution. @d3rrlck, would you say the foil solution was able to minimuze the buzz as well as the jail solution? (assuming each solution in their best setup). If not, how much better/worse was the result with the foil solution, audibly?

To get the same benefit from jail solution, you will need to wrap the tube all the way down to the base of the adapter to completely shield it from EMI. Just make sure that the foil should not touch any of the solder points in the adapter as this could introduce a short. If you want a complete shielding, I would highly suggest to diy a Faraday cage. I also noticed with dual tube setup that it tends to pickup noises from my wifi router, and cellphone. If you heard a noisy USB source from laptop, it sounds similar to that (like a morse code beep in rapid succession). The faraday cage will also shield / eliminate those noises.

Feb 22, 2016 at 12:49 AM Post #1,989 of 3,354
Oh duh I totally forgot about this! I used to have issues with hum on both my Solid State and Tube amps back in the day, as of now I have a Power Conditioner all of my Amps and sources are hooked up to and I don't use wifi in my room. It's all Ethernet. Granted I keep my phone like 10feet from my tubes, though every now and again if I touch my amp while it's running, I can hear noise from the TV Tuner in my Monitor :/ which is strange

but other wise, when I remove my self as the BIG attena I don't get to much noise [at least not in the starlight, gawd the freaking Vali 2 was like a noise\hum magnet] and it was encased 

also good news guys! My dual 76Tube Adapter arrived in the States yesterday :D I might have it by Tuesday! [maybe] 

Feb 22, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #1,990 of 3,354

@jaywillin you said you tried the foil solution. But was it done the same way as the photo above? If not, would you mind revisiting that to try again - see if maybe it lasts longer than 30 seconds? (notice that wire also); of which can also be connected to one of several other areas including the top of capacitors, RCA jacks or the negative power connection.

my attempt at mummification was hurried, i'll make a better, more thorough attempt today

Feb 22, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #1,991 of 3,354
Thanks for you guys continued work on the buzzing Ember.  Since I have gotten my Ether C I have been amazed at the sound quality of the amp.  But unfortunately the sound quality of the buzz was increased as well.  
frown.gif

Feb 22, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #1,992 of 3,354
  Thanks for you guys continued work on the buzzing Ember.  Sense I have gotten my Ether C I have been amazed at the sound quality of the amp.  But unfortunately the sound quality of the buzz was increased as well.  
frown.gif

yea my ATH bESP 10 is like that, it has a touch of buzz with my Starlight. 

Feb 22, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #1,993 of 3,354
10 minutes, silencio , it ain't pretty, but its working

bobtailed 

Feb 22, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #1,994 of 3,354
Thanks for all EMI screening info! I'll try these remedies as well.

The hum on my Ember 2 is also more prominent with the dual tube setup. I reduced it by switching the impedance from low to medium but it's still noticeable with my relatively sensitive Fidelio X2.

Edit: I was wondering if a Faraday cage would be as efficient if it doesn't cover the whole amp to the bottom but ends attached to the mounting screws on the top plate?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back