Project Ember Tube Rolling
Feb 22, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #2,011 of 3,354
  Well the Brimars are in and singing currently, BUT they pick up noise that the Visseaux dont (Damn it) wave my hand over them and the hum is drastically reduced, just lay a piece of aluminum foil over the tubes in a tent type shape allowing the back side of the tent to touch the thumb screws NO HUM (looks like I will be building a cage)

Sound compared to Visseaux ?  CAVEAT: (Any differences are nuance with my hearing),  Not as clear extended on top as the Visseaux, midrange is close, bass Brimar gets a minor edge,  Brimar may sound a bit more closed in.  I like them very much.  with out the Visseaux I would not feel like I was missing anything

Judgement= Visseaux is still King by the slightest of margins, I seriously doubt I could pick which is which in a blind test

Thanks @joespride
Looks like I'm going to stick with Visseaus 6J5G then :)

I might get a backup pair soon. By the way, is there any difference between a Visseaux labeled as 6J5G/VT-94A vs. 6J5G/6J5GT?

Feb 22, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #2,012 of 3,354
It is pretty cool that folks are experimenting like this. I don't want to come off as ungrateful. If it weren't for experimentation I'd never have gotten these wonderful Visseaux tubes you guys discovered.

We're so far outside the norm for this amp it's not surprising we have some issues. Can't really expect to build the equivalent of a radio antenna on top of our amps and not pick up a bit of noise. Hell, might even be a market for a nice cage if one of you has the desire to build more.

I for one would like to hear the Visseaux 6J5G hum free. This tube is too good to pass on that I felt the need to do something about the hum, and so I'm glad I've found a solution. Consider the cage as tube protector too
beerchug.gif

Feb 22, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #2,013 of 3,354
Anyone else with HD650s find the upper bass to get a touch boomy with high output resistance?

The good news is that swapping it to Low or even Medium completely fixes it!

The change is more pronounced than I remember it being the first time I tried the Ember. Different tubes, different dac. The first time around I had a much cheaper dac feeding it and I couldn't even tell a difference between the Low/Med/High output resistance settings.

Now it's super obvious.

Output power into 300Ω
Output Resistance:
  1. .1R: 765mW
  2. 35R: 600 mW
  3. 120R: 390mW

I guess it makes a bigger difference than I realized.

Feb 22, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #2,014 of 3,354
  Anyone else with HD650s find the upper bass to get a touch boomy with high output resistance?

The good news is that swapping it to Low or even Medium completely fixes it!

The change is more pronounced than I remember it being the first time I tried the Ember. Different tubes, different dac. The first time around I had a much cheaper dac feeding it and I couldn't even tell a difference between the Low/Med/High output resistance settings.

Now it's super obvious.

Output power into 300Ω
Output Resistance:
  1. .1R: 765mW
  2. 35R: 600 mW
  3. 120R: 390mW

I guess it makes a bigger difference than I realized.

Damping factor of less than 3 on high would explain the flabby bass.  Output voltage from the DAC could be a factor as well.

HD650 with medium resistance is blissful.  In fact, I prefer using the HD650, over any of my other headphones, when paired with the Ember.

Feb 22, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #2,015 of 3,354
I have always used the .1 setting with the 650's, I am now using the Sen 700's and putting the 650's up for sale, as they don't get the use anymore.   I have never had hum or noise problems, and I have one of the original Embers, serial number 0041, built by Jeremy.  The only time I had a problem was with the 7193's being a little microphonic, if I hit my desk or pushed in the keyboard tray a little hard, I could here it.  Putting it on isolator feet solved that, could smack desk with fist, no problem.  The Visses I sold to Joespride, never gave me any problem, or any of the other tubes, so I wonder if it is endemic to individual, amps, or the newer Ember 2.  I had Jeremy build mine, because, at that time, the add said he cherry picked components, and fully tested amp. I also have the cnc metal top and bottom plate.  Could also be the power grid to some extent.  I am up in Michigan, and never had a problem with noise on electric grid.  When I was in Tennessee, did experience some problems. If it is 60hz hum, I would look to making sure house system is properly grounded,

Feb 23, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #2,017 of 3,354
  Seen near my home on at Interstate on ramp:

WILL WORK FOR VISSEAUX 6J5G TUBES!!!

If anyone wants to sell a matched pair of Visseaux 6J5G, send me a PM..........likely easier to find here than that darn I-5 ramp!

Thanks

A BIG thank you to Paul for sending his pair of Visseaux 6J5's my way! Test great, tightly matched, less microphnoic than my original pair and............. they sound SPECTACULAR!

I now have a primary pair and backup................. so I'm set.

Feb 23, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #2,018 of 3,354
  Well the Brimars are in and singing currently, BUT they pick up noise that the Visseaux dont (Damn it) wave my hand over them and the hum is drastically reduced, just lay a piece of aluminum foil over the tubes in a tent type shape allowing the back side of the tent to touch the thumb screws NO HUM (looks like I will be building a cage)

Sound compared to Visseaux ?  CAVEAT: (Any differences are nuance with my hearing),  Not as clear extended on top as the Visseaux, midrange is close, bass Brimar gets a minor edge,  Brimar may sound a bit more closed in.  I like them very much.  with out the Visseaux I would not feel like I was missing anything

Judgement= Visseaux is still King by the slightest of margins, I seriously doubt I could pick which is which in a blind test

I concur with joespride regarding the 1950's Brimar 6J5G's sound. If I had never heard the Visseaux 6J5G's, I'd be thrilled with the Brimars................BUT I have......... and the 'V's are still a good deal better. I went back and forth many times and always found a just a little more "sumpin, sumpin" going on in the Visseaux. I have pretty humble headphones (HE 400S) and with these cans I am looking for more detail. With the 'V's I get that, but not at the expense of losing the sweet mid and good bass as well. The Brimars were very pleasant but just a little too polite and rolled off for me, at least with these HifiMan hp.

If you have bright or very detailed hp, then the 1950's Brimar 6J5G's may be the perfect tubes for you!

Feb 23, 2016 at 12:47 AM Post #2,019 of 3,354

I concur with joespride regarding the 1950's Brimar 6J5G's sound. If I had never heard the Visseaux 6J5G's, I'd be thrilled with the Brimars................BUT I have......... and the 'V's are still a good deal better. I went back and forth many times and always found a just a little more "sumpin, sumpin" going on in the Visseaux. I have pretty humble headphones (HE 400S) and with these cans I am looking for more detail. With the 'V's I get that, but not at the expense of losing the sweet mid and good bass as well. The Brimars were very pleasant but just a little too polite and rolled off for me, at least with these HifiMan hp.

If you have bright or very detailed hp, then the 1950's Brimar 6J5G's may be the perfect tubes for you!

price wise what would you want for them? my La D5k is pretty Bright on the top end, mids are taken back nicely 

Feb 23, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #2,020 of 3,354
  price wise what would you want for them? my La D5k is pretty Bright on the top end, mids are taken back nicely 

I returned them, but the cost was $119/ pair. They were VERY tightly matched and crazy high testing on both of my testers. Great tubes and I'd keep them if I didn't have (now) 2 pairs of the Visseaux 6J5G's!

Feb 23, 2016 at 3:06 AM Post #2,021 of 3,354
@jaywillin much obliged for takin' my advice and givin' that Tinber one more try! Has the hum been at bay for more than 10 minutes? And is this completely eliminating the hum?
('Tinber was just a cheap bid for a nickname for the tin foil on Ember as an EMI shield)

Nwavesailor congrats on securing a 2nd pair of Visseaux's - long live the undisputed champion for Ember.

Everyone else - I'm still interested to see how the Zenith 6J5 compare to the Visseaux. At least one member said they are comparable. But unless someone gets a pair who already has the Visseaux to compare them to, I guess we won't know how they compare directly... perhaps one of us Visseaux owners who are feeling a bit adventurous can also order the Zenith for comparison - then sell them off to another member if they choose

Feb 23, 2016 at 8:30 AM Post #2,022 of 3,354
  @jaywillin much obliged for takin' my advice and givin' that Tinber one more try! Has the hum been at bay for more than 10 minutes? And is this completely eliminating the hum?
('Tinber was just a cheap bid for a nickname for the tin foil on Ember as an EMI shield)

Nwavesailor congrats on securing a 2nd pair of Visseaux's - long live the undisputed champion for Ember.

Everyone else - I'm still interested to see how the Zenith 6J5 compare to the Visseaux. At least one member said they are comparable. But unless someone gets a pair who already has the Visseaux to compare them to, I guess we won't know how they compare directly... perhaps one of us Visseaux owners who are feeling a bit adventurous can also order the Zenith for comparison - then sell them off to another member if they choose

yes, works perfectly, the real hassle though is having to ground to the top of the capacitor as well, i also tried a "coke can" shield, it work, though not quite as well, the hum would creep in 
eventually. 
i'm going to hit the home depot, and keep tinkering around, 

oh, and one of my earlier questions was regarding the 6sn7 tube in general, would i have that problem with ALL 6sn7 tubes, or could it be the particular one i have ?

Feb 23, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #2,023 of 3,354
Experimenting in my setup, I found the reason my Brimar were hum prone,  My PS4 is setting next to my amp and the closer I move the amp to the HDMI cable the goes from PS4 to TV the louder the hum gets.  Next I will wrap the HDMI cable with foil and see what happens

Shielding the HDMI cable does nothing to help eliminate the hum on the Brimars 
frown.gif

Feb 23, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #2,024 of 3,354
  yes, works perfectly, the real hassle though is having to ground to the top of the capacitor as well, i also tried a "coke can" shield, it work, though not quite as well, the hum would creep in 
eventually. 
i'm going to hit the home depot, and keep tinkering around, 

oh, and one of my earlier questions was regarding the 6sn7 tube in general, would i have that problem with ALL 6sn7 tubes, or could it be the particular one i have ?

Depends on the type of interference you're picking up.  If it's bad enough, I'd expect to affect everything, but at that point I'd be looking into what's causing it, versus masking it.  I only get a hum with my 6F8G Raytheon tube and adapter.  It might even just be the adapter. 

Feb 23, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #2,025 of 3,354

Depends on the type of interference you're picking up.  If it's bad enough, I'd expect to affect everything, but at that point I'd be looking into what's causing it, versus masking it.  I only get a hum with my 6F8G Raytheon tube and adapter.  It might even just be the adapter. 

what seems weird to me, is the dual 7193 set up, very little, if any noise

Users who are viewing this thread

Back