Project Ember Tube Rolling
Feb 23, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #2,026 of 3,354
  what seems weird to me, is the dual 7193 set up, very little, if any noise

To tell the whole story about my experience is, I went as far as turning off the circuit breaker so that only 1 AC line is active in my house. I also turned off all the appliances and electronic devices (including the wifi/router and my cellphone), I also bought a second adapter thinking it could be the adapter, and I've tried all the AC outlet in my house but still, the dual tube setup is still humming like crazy loud on my ember2. What weird is that I don't get a hum on single tube, and I've tried a couple of K-R and GE tubes but they're completely silent. I agree that if you could find the source of the hum and interference is a much better approach but I live in an apartment building, so it could be my AC lines are poorly grounded and/or my neighbor is causing it, both are no longer in my control. Indeed a mystery yet to solve.

Feb 23, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #2,027 of 3,354

To tell the whole story about my experience is, I went as far as turning off the circuit breaker so that only 1 AC line is active in my house. I also turned off all the appliances and electronic devices (including the wifi/router and my cellphone), I also bought a second adapter thinking it could be the adapter, and I've tried all the AC outlet in my house but still, the dual tube setup is still humming like crazy loud on my ember2. What weird is that I don't get a hum on single tube, and I've tried a couple of K-R and GE tubes but they're completely silent. I agree that if you could find the source of the hum and interference is a much better approach but I live in an apartment building, so it could be my AC lines are poorly grounded and/or my neighbor is causing it, both are no longer in my control. Indeed a mystery yet to solve.

our house is an older house, and the previous owners must have done a lot of their wiring, it's a little screwy, we've had it checked out, we are safe, but one day, we should have a lot of stuff corrected.

yes, this is a campbell's soup can

dead quiet

Feb 23, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #2,028 of 3,354
I feel a soup can label contest coming... 

Feb 23, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #2,029 of 3,354
My tube rolling is over,  I have 2 matched pair of Visseaux and 1 pair straight glass sylvania that should last longer than I will.

Feb 23, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #2,030 of 3,354
i may have to try different brands of soups, or maybe chili, there may be audible differences   
blink.gif

Feb 23, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #2,031 of 3,354

our house is an older house, and the previous owners must have done a lot of their wiring, it's a little screwy, we've had it checked out, we are safe, but one day, we should have a lot of stuff corrected.

dead quiet

Is that tube still breathing? It might die from heat and suffocation
blink.gif

Feb 23, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #2,032 of 3,354

Is that tube still breathing? It might die from heat and suffocation
blink.gif

so far, but some holes might be in order , or cut the top off, 
i went to home depot, couldn't find any aluminum or copper mesh, all they had was regular hardware mesh, i guess it's galvanised steel ? 
i guess i'll order the mesh off amazon, so, copper, or aluminum ? any difference ? i like the look of copper

Feb 23, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #2,034 of 3,354
  ^ I'm not really sure but I think as long as the mesh is conductive it will be fine

that was the impression i got from my internet research.

Feb 23, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #2,035 of 3,354

Depends on the type of interference you're picking up.  If it's bad enough, I'd expect to affect everything, but at that point I'd be looking into what's causing it, versus masking it.  I only get a hum with my 6F8G Raytheon tube and adapter.  It might even just be the adapter. 

I have a Raytheon 6F8G that hums in my bottlehead crack and is perfectly quiet in my ember, using the same adapter in both amps. Strange how this stuff works.

Feb 23, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #2,036 of 3,354

dead quiet

Just a thought but the aluminum chassis may quiet some things down for you too. 

Feb 23, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #2,037 of 3,354
Just a thought but the aluminum chassis may quiet some things down for you too. 

I thought about that myself, I'll probably pick the plates up soon

Feb 23, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #2,038 of 3,354
I thought about that myself, I'll probably pick the plates up soon

I grabbed a CNC chassis for my Sunrise in hops that it would quiet down the interference (Wi-Fi and cell) with my Raytheon JAN CK 5814WA tube and it absolutely worked. But now it's not my preferred tube (currently enjoying Russian 6N6P/6H6Pi).

Feb 24, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #2,039 of 3,354
I went aluminum chasse on my Ember and still had the buzz when in the Franken Ember setup.  I installed the temporary tin foil upgrade last night on the Franken and the buzz was completely gone.    I then listened to "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" with my Ether Cs and was completely blown away.  

Feb 24, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #2,040 of 3,354
Well the 76's arrived and they sound good! Bass is really taut, sound stage is wide, good balance of warmth and smoothness on the top end... they do how ever Clip something NASTY with any really low synth Sub Bass.

I did notice they stayed REALLY really cool while in my starlight, so I might let them burn in a little over night. See if that helps any 

I'm wondering how the Ember might differ, given it's a little more powerful than my lil starlight 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back