Feb 22, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #1,997 of 3,354
  10 minutes, silencio , it ain't pretty, but its working

bobtailed 

Glad that it worked for you too
beerchug.gif

Feb 22, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #1,998 of 3,354
2nd pair of Matched Visseaux in the house and making MUSIC
L3000.gif

Brimar here as well will give them a twirl after the Visseaux have had some time to play,  the Brimar have the dimpled foil getters and solid round plates while the Visseaux have the square D getter with the perforated round plates.  It will be interesting to see if I can hear any differences 
biggrin.gif

Feb 22, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #1,999 of 3,354
  Thanks for all EMI screening info! I'll try these remedies as well.

The hum on my Ember 2 is also more prominent with the dual tube setup. I reduced it by switching the impedance from low to medium but it's still noticeable with my relatively sensitive Fidelio X2.

Edit: I was wondering if a Faraday cage would be as efficient if it doesn't cover the whole amp to the bottom but ends attached to the mounting screws on the top plate?

If you're only experiencing hum, I think you can create a Faraday cage that only covers the tubes. With the ember being an open design, I prefer jailing the whole amp to completely shield t from EMI, as mine is on the bedroom side table sitting next to a wifi/router :)

Feb 22, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #2,001 of 3,354
  2nd pair of Matched Visseaux in the house and making MUSIC
L3000.gif

Brimar here as well will give them a twirl after the Visseaux have had some time to play,  the Brimar have the dimpled foil getters and solid round plates while the Visseaux have the square D getter with the perforated round plates.  It will be interesting to see if I can hear any differences 
biggrin.gif

Can't wait for your impression, as I'm interested in that Brimar 6J5G as well
wink_face.gif

Where are you guys getting a matched pair of Visseaux? I can't seem to find an affordable one

Feb 22, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #2,002 of 3,354
Concerning EMI, induced hum, grounding issues, etc... I'd much rather use a tube that didn't induce hum instead of trying to figure out elaborate schemes to reduce/eliminate the hum.  

My hum story started with a Franken Jr adapter and Raytheon 6F8G.  Excellent sounding tube, but the grounding wire on top picked up noise from my Modi 2U and Wyrd sitting next to it, which manifested as a hum in the left channel.  I could put my hand in between the equipment and change the volume and pitch of the hum.  My solution was just to use a different setup.  My Franken Ember with the Visseaux's 6J5s, even with the dual adapter stack, makes no noise at all.  

Feb 22, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #2,003 of 3,354
  Concerning EMI, induced hum, grounding issues, etc... I'd much rather use a tube that didn't induce hum instead of trying to figure out elaborate schemes to reduce/eliminate the hum.  

My hum story started with a Franken Jr adapter and Raytheon 6F8G.  Excellent sounding tube, but the grounding wire on top picked up noise from my Modi 2U and Wyrd sitting next to it, which manifested as a hum in the left channel.  I could put my hand in between the equipment and change the volume and pitch of the hum.  My solution was just to use a different setup.  My Franken Ember with the Visseaux's 6J5s, even with the dual adapter stack, makes no noise at all.  

i agree, which brings me to two questions
1- would just trying another 6sn7 make any difference, as in, would it be just the particular tube i have, or tube type ?
2- with my "frankenrise" i have no noise, other a barely audible with no music playing, it's more of a buzz (emi/rfi ?) than the hum i was getting with the 6sn7 

the "frankenrise"

Feb 22, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #2,004 of 3,354

Can't wait for your impression, as I'm interested in that Brimar 6J5G as well
wink_face.gif

Where are you guys getting a matched pair of Visseaux? I can't seem to find an affordable one

Well the Brimars are in and singing currently, BUT they pick up noise that the Visseaux dont (Damn it) wave my hand over them and the hum is drastically reduced, just lay a piece of aluminum foil over the tubes in a tent type shape allowing the back side of the tent to touch the thumb screws NO HUM (looks like I will be building a cage)

Sound compared to Visseaux ?  CAVEAT: (Any differences are nuance with my hearing),  Not as clear extended on top as the Visseaux, midrange is close, bass Brimar gets a minor edge,  Brimar may sound a bit more closed in.  I like them very much.  with out the Visseaux I would not feel like I was missing anything

Judgement= Visseaux is still King by the slightest of margins, I seriously doubt I could pick which is which in a blind test

Feb 22, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #2,005 of 3,354

While I may tend to agree you will certainly limit your options and likely loose out on a superior sounding setup............There is no guarantee any tube will not develop a noise issue depending on enviroment, My Visseaux sound great with no hum but in the right enviroment they could develop noise.  The cage is easy enough and cheap enough it seems a good solution, I would also bet a pretty one could be made for cheap

Feb 22, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #2,006 of 3,354

I find it odd that it is still humming so loudly when it's plugged into a DAC. When I hook up a phone or music player with a RCA to 3.5mm splitter (and a well-shielded one at that), I get an incredibly annoying hum in my Franken-rise Jr. However, if I connect it to my recapped el-cheapo Behringer UCA222, which is in turn plugged into my PC, the hum is almost totally gone. It's still there in the left channel, but not nearly loud enough to be a problem. That said, I haven't tried using a 6C8G/6F8G in a high EMI/RFI environment like work. At work I currently use either a Amperex globe 6DJ8 or a T-S 6SN7WGTA in my Sunrise, both of which are among my quietest tubes.

I also can't help but wonder if the open chassis is a contributing factor. My APPJ PA1502A is nearly silent, even with tubes that would be noisy in the Sunrise. It has an internal power supply with a standard 3-prong PC power cord, so it's most likely grounded better too. I haven't brought that amp to work, though- still trying to find a magic combination.

Feb 22, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #2,007 of 3,354
  While I may tend to agree you will certainly limit your options and likely loose out on a superior sounding setup............There is no guarantee any tube will not develop a noise issue depending on enviroment, My Visseaux sound great with no hum but in the right enviroment they could develop noise.  The cage is easy enough and cheap enough it seems a good solution, I would also bet a pretty one could be made for cheap

It's true, but I have so many tubes that don't have any noise, seems silly to put tons of effort into fixing 1 or 2 noisy tubes.  If I was running into issues with every tube, well, yeah that's a whole other problem that may require more drastic measures.  I can't help but notice this didn't seem to be a problem for most people until the subject of noise came up.

Feb 22, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #2,008 of 3,354
  I think I am seeing a pattern with the hum / noise,  It appears most of the noise issues are plaguing the Acrylic top Ember ??  anyone else noticing this ?

yea you might b onto something, I have the Metal Topped Starlight my self, and very little noise 

Feb 22, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #2,009 of 3,354
How about ESD containers or making a nice wooden box lined with anti-static bag material?

Something along these lines. You could drill holes for the volume pot and headphone jack.

Sovella 1520-4ESD Treston ESD Polypropylene Stacking Bin, 25 lbs Capacity, 5.87" Width x 4.13" Height x 7.56" Depth, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AR1HM9Y/

Note that I didn't check dimensions or anything. On my phone.

Feb 22, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #2,010 of 3,354
It is pretty cool that folks are experimenting like this. I don't want to come off as ungrateful. If it weren't for experimentation I'd never have gotten these wonderful Visseaux tubes you guys discovered.

We're so far outside the norm for this amp it's not surprising we have some issues. Can't really expect to build the equivalent of a radio antenna on top of our amps and not pick up a bit of noise. Hell, might even be a market for a nice cage if one of you has the desire to build more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back