Project Ember Tube Rolling
Feb 21, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #1,966 of 3,354
  @ joespride and @ jaywillin

You can can get the aluminum mesh from amazon. The dimension is 6x36". I got mine from customcargrill (sorry I'm not allowed to post a link yet).

You can also do this temporary solution by wrapping the tube with aluminum foil (take note the foil should be grounded to the chasis) while waiting for your aluminum mesh which I call the mummified ember. I know it doesn't look pretty but it works too :)

Would you mind me asking how you ground the aluminium foil to the chassis?  Do you just wrap it round something metal on the chassis?  I have the perspex chassis.
Thanks.

Feb 21, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #1,967 of 3,354
@HOWIE13

A copper wire will do, you can coil It to one of the thumbscrew. As for the other end, I made a halo-like shape for single tube or number 8 shape for dual tube and place it on top of each tube.

Feb 21, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #1,968 of 3,354
@HOWIE13

A copper wire will do, you can coil It to one of the thumbscrew. As for the other end, I made a halo-like shape for single tube or number 8 shape for dual tube and place it on top of each tube.
Excellent-that's very helpful. I don't get much in the way of hums with most headphones but my X2 and HD598 can be a problem.

Feb 21, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #1,970 of 3,354

You can can get the aluminum mesh from amazon. The dimension is 6x36". I got mine from customcargrill (sorry I'm not allowed to post a link yet).

You can also do this temporary solution by wrapping the tube with aluminum foil (take note the foil should be grounded to the chasis) while waiting for your aluminum mesh which I call the mummified ember. I know it doesn't look pretty but it works too :)

is this the right stuff

http://www.amazon.com/Small-Diamond-Grill-Mesh-Sheet/dp/B00F3FJU6C/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1456085999&sr=1-2&refinements=p_4%3Acustomcargrills+llc

Feb 21, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #1,971 of 3,354

well, tried the aluminum foil wrap, worked liked a charm for 20-30 seconds, dead silent,  the hum creeped back in, hmmmmm

Feb 21, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #1,972 of 3,354
@ joespride

Some of the aluminum mesh has raw thickness of .03 inch. This might be too thin and soft. I'm using the one with the hex pattern which is .06 inch thick.

Feb 21, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #1,973 of 3,354
http://www.amazon.com/CCG-Perforated-Grill-Mesh-Sheet/dp/B00F3FJYSQ/ref=lp_10148252011_1_3?srs=10148252011&ie=UTF8&qid=1456090292&sr=8-3

this one then 
biggrin.gif

Feb 21, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #1,975 of 3,354
@d3rrlck I'd like to give you a hearty welcome to this thread! Your post on the DIY buzz reduction / Mummified Ember was exemplary! If this tests well with other Ember's (and I'm sure it will), then by golly this is going to be nothing short of the ultimate buzzkill 
wink.gif
  A buzz-free revolution where us tube owners no have to rely on asinine methods such as running a thick wire into the bathroom our out the window, electrical rewiring, inline limiters, etc.

Was this your own idea? If so, I really think we owe you a reward of some kind. Your reputation is off to a great start on this site! 

Can't wait to see someone else test it out, and if all goes well I'll be on board too.

Feb 21, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #1,976 of 3,354
Rolled in a new production Electro-Harmonix 6H30Pi Gold Pin last night in the Ember and it sounded great.

Picked up a pair of RCA 6SN7 smoked glass locally and those sound great as well.

Now I have a Horizon on the way to compare.

The winner is my home amp, loser goes back to Jeremy unless someone wants to buy it off me and I can avoid a restocking fee while saving someone else a few bucks.

Feb 21, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #1,977 of 3,354
This isn't meant to cast a bad light on this amp, but Is the Ember particularly 'hum' prone vs. some other small headphone tube amps or is it tube / tube adapter dependent?

After reading several posts over the past few months it seems to be an ongoing or recurrent theme. I do understand that grounding and ground loop issues can tough to resolve and the Faraday cage may be one of the answerts!

Feb 21, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #1,978 of 3,354
As far as I understand, the Ember with stock tubes is 100% hum free / silent. The buzz seems to be entirely the result of the our tube experimentation; some being louder than others, even if they are the exact same type of tube from the same factory; and it seems there is no explanation yet

Feb 21, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #1,979 of 3,354
It has nothing to do with Garage1217 stuff. It happens with all tube amps.

Tubes were designed before cell phones, WiFi, Bluetooth, infrared remotes, and all manner of other technology that can interfere.

We also use far more power than anyone ever did back in those days, further complicating issues. I doubt many people in the 40s had power spikes when they used their microwaves.

Feb 21, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #1,980 of 3,354
  As far as I understand, the Ember with stock tubes is 100% hum free / silent. The buzz seems to be entirely the result of the our tube experimentation; some being louder than others, even if they are the exact same type of tube from the same factory; and it seems there is no explanation yet

Thanks, Levi!

I wasn't trying to get folks upset, just wondering if it was the "exotic" (for lack of a better word) tubes that are being tried..........and I ,for one, really LOVE the Visseaux 6J5G w/ adapter!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back