Project Ember Tube Rolling
Jan 9, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #1,501 of 3,354
  Also the 'top secret' tube I was planning to give a try has been debunked, for the reason below which was given to me be Jeremy. I think this info. is also useful to consider when experimenting with new tubes:

(The Ember's heat current) "Maximum output is 1A with a little overhead. At the very very best with modification we can do 1.5A"
If running dual tubes you must make sure each tube does not draw more than approx. 0.6A at the most, at risk of damaging the heater circuit.

That's a shame, but there will be others.

Jan 9, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #1,502 of 3,354

There is another adapter that I don't think has been discussed in this forum. It is the 6sn7 to 37/76 adapter. You can use it with Jeremy's 6sn7 adapter, then you can use type 37 or type 76 tube in the Ember. It is a nice tube but not better than the 6j5g imho but it could be fun for someone who enjoys tube rolling. I have some Sylvania 76 tubes that i like to plug in once in a while just to get some variation.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-Dual-RCA-76-TO-6SN7GT-B65-CV1988-tube-converter-adapter-/201398487020?hash=item2ee44907ec:g:XOcAAOSwyQtVvETC

how do you describe the sound of the 76 versus the 6J5 or others ?

Jan 10, 2016 at 6:33 AM Post #1,503 of 3,354

how do you describe the sound of the 76 versus the 6J5 or others ?

I would say that the 76 and 6j5g are related and that the sound depends more on the brand of the tube. The Sylvania 76 has got that big sound with good bass but they sound a bit veiled to me. I bought them as NOS so maybe they just need some burn in time.

I have read that there was a Visseaux 76 tube made. Rumour has it that those were some really sweet sounding tubes. Unfortunately it seems that they have all been snapped up, I haven't seen any for sale.

Jan 10, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #1,504 of 3,354

I would say that the 76 and 6j5g are related and that the sound depends more on the brand of the tube. The Sylvania 76 has got that big sound with good bass but they sound a bit veiled to me. I bought them as NOS so maybe they just need some burn in time.

I have read that there was a Visseaux 76 tube made. Rumour has it that those were some really sweet sounding tubes. Unfortunately it seems that they have all been snapped up, I haven't seen any for sale.

I read on one site that the VT 76 is equivalent sonically to the 6P5T ('T' I think means a short bottle). Just a different layout of pins.
If that's the case it may sound somewhat similar to the Ken-Rad 6P5 I described (# 1499 above). It's a warm and easy tube to listen to.
I'm going to France in the spring, maybe I should take a screwdriver with me and visit some antique radio junk shops to seek out those Visseaux. 
smile_phones.gif

Jan 10, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #1,506 of 3,354
somebody know the difference between the metal  regular

bottle visseaux tube versus the coke  glass bottle shape one ?

Jan 10, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #1,508 of 3,354
  somebody know the difference between the metal  regular

bottle visseaux tube versus the coke  glass bottle shape one ?

I've been wondering about those- they look pretty indestructable. I even wondered about buying them but they look so ugly I didn't bother.
I don't know anything about them I'm afraid so bit of a risk to purchase. 

Jan 10, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #1,509 of 3,354
  I read on one site that the VT 76 is equivalent sonically to the 6P5T ('T' I think means a short bottle). Just a different layout of pins.
If that's the case it may sound somewhat similar to the Ken-Rad 6P5 I described (# 1499 above). It's a warm and easy tube to listen to.
I'm going to France in the spring, maybe I should take a screwdriver with me and visit some antique radio junk shops to seek out those Visseaux. 
smile_phones.gif

I believe that the 76 tube was the predecessor of the 6p5g so it makes sense that they have equal sonics. My Sylvanias were manufactured in 1946. If you could find a few of those Visseaux 76 that would be a treat 
beerchug.gif

Jan 10, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #1,510 of 3,354
i am absolutely thrilled by the little westinghouse metal 6J5... I will not  received the 6L5GT national union before 15 days i hope...The monsoon mm-2000  speakers are planars hybrid desktop speakers, very resolving speakers hence with them the effect of the 6j5 tube is a spectacular enlargement of the soundstage with an incomparable detailed image versus my 7193 tube...It is not a new flavored colour to choose or not , it is an another better rendition of all my music...Impossible to come back...It is same thing with my headphone but a little less spectacular...i cannot imagine that the National union coke bottle glass 6L5  will be better than the metal 6J5 tube...If so it will be sonic paradise... I think that i will purchase the metal bottle visseaux because it is cheaper than the coke glass bottle visseaux and i think that it is simple to lift the metal cover and under it there is a glass bottle Visseaux but regular one not coke bootle one... I will try that... I thank you all , because without this thread nothing would have been possible for me...
atsmile.gif

Jan 10, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #1,511 of 3,354
I ROLLLLLED A TUBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBE

seriously though now it's time for questions

so I tried a ... this 

it's a 6N6P, not sure what brand

can you guys recommend any others in that family that have... a LOT of sound stage, but the same weight 

Jan 11, 2016 at 4:25 AM Post #1,513 of 3,354
  i am absolutely thrilled by the little westinghouse metal 6J5... I will not  received the 6L5GT national union before 15 days i hope...The monsoon mm-2000  speakers are planars hybrid desktop speakers, very resolving speakers hence with them the effect of the 6j5 tube is a spectacular enlargement of the soundstage with an incomparable detailed image versus my 7193 tube...It is not a new flavored colour to choose or not , it is an another better rendition of all my music...Impossible to come back...It is same thing with my headphone but a little less spectacular...i cannot imagine that the National union coke bottle glass 6L5  will be better than the metal 6J5 tube...If so it will be sonic paradise... I think that i will purchase the metal bottle visseaux because it is cheaper than the coke glass bottle visseaux and i think that it is simple to lift the metal cover and under it there is a glass bottle Visseaux but regular one not coke bootle one... I will try that... I thank you all , because without this thread nothing would have been possible for me...
atsmile.gif

I like the 9 pin Westinghouse tubes I've tried.
I would like to purchase a metal pair like your 6J5's but there are several varieties with different coloured lettering. Could you describe the tube a bit as your recommendation is much valued?
Thanks

Jan 11, 2016 at 8:32 AM Post #1,515 of 3,354
  I like the 9 pin Westinghouse tubes I've tried.
I would like to purchase a metal pair like your 6J5's but there are several varieties with different coloured lettering. Could you describe the tube a bit as your recommendation is much valued?
Thanks

My westinghouse has a yellow lettering for the word " westinghouse" and orange color for "usa 6J5"... I was very enthusiastic because of the imaging and the soundstage effect... I dont know if the westinghouse  tube is one of the better...I only know that i will not return to my 7193 ken-rad... Other people were less enthusiastic than myself  for  this comparison between 6j5 and 7193 , i think that no one has the same ears and gear...Hence i dont want to influence people to buy this Westinghouse, probably this tube is like some others in the same family... The effect got me by surprise, the effect was drastically more detailed and like i have said my desktop speakers are very resolving, the effect is so great than i "enthusiastically" write my impressions...The truth is this effect for me was not a colored flavor but a better rendering of the image and the texture of the sound... thats all... is any other metal tube better? i dont know that... I will not know because i wait for the glass coke bottle national union 6L5...and the next purchase will be Visseaux when i could afford it...
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back