Project Ember Tube Rolling
Jan 11, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #1,516 of 3,354
  My westinghouse has a yellow lettering for the word " westinghouse" and orange color for "usa 6J5"... I was very enthusiastic because of the imaging and the soundstage effect... I dont know if the westinghouse  tube is one of the better...I only know that i will not return to my 7193 ken-rad... Other people were less enthusiastic than myself  for  this comparison between 6j5 and 7193 , i think that no one has the same ears and gear...Hence i dont want to influence people to buy this Westinghouse, probably this tube is like some others in the same family... The effect got me by surprise, the effect was drastically more detailed and like i have said my desktop speakers are very resolving, the effect is so great than i "enthusiastically" write my impressions...The truth is this effect for me was not a colored flavor but a better rendering of the image and the texture of the sound... thats all... is any other metal tube better? i dont know that... I will not know because i wait for the glass coke bottle national union 6L5...and the next purchase will be Visseaux when i could afford it...
smile.gif

Thanks, I'll try and source that one and if I do I can tell you how it sounds compared to the Visseaux.
Like you, for my personal acoustic needs, the dual 6J5's and their close relatives (6L5 etc), suit me the best in Ember.

Jan 12, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #1,520 of 3,354
  Do you need the link for the adapter? Let us know if you concur or not on the sound of those sleek tubes

yea man please do! I'd love to know how they sound as well 

Jan 13, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #1,522 of 3,354
I've found another source of the buzzing in the left channel when using my 6F8G to 12AU7 adapter. I sometimes plug my phone directly into the Sunrise with a 3.5mm to RCA adapter (Galaxy S6 Edge. Don't knock it- it has a very good Wolfson DAC chip). With this configuration, the buzzing in all my 6C8G/6F8Gs is very annoying. I don't get the buzzing when using noval or 6SN7-type tubes.

When I use a 6F8G in the Sunrise and plug in my computer via USB DAC, the buzzing becomes much, much quieter. It's still audible but it no longer requires cranking the volume or jury-rigging a ground wire to make the tube listenable. It's grounding through the PC.

Jan 13, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #1,523 of 3,354
  I've found another source of the buzzing in the left channel when using my 6F8G to 12AU7 adapter. I sometimes plug my phone directly into the Sunrise with a 3.5mm to RCA adapter (Galaxy S6 Edge. Don't knock it- it has a very good Wolfson DAC chip). With this configuration, the buzzing in all my 6C8G/6F8Gs is very annoying. I don't get the buzzing when using noval or 6SN7-type tubes.

When I use a 6F8G in the Sunrise and plug in my computer via USB DAC, the buzzing becomes much, much quieter. It's still audible but it no longer requires cranking the volume or jury-rigging a ground wire to make the tube listenable. It's grounding through the PC.

It could be noise, while the edge has a nice Dac Chip in it, the actual circuit might not be the best. My LG V10 is a little noisy when I run it into my amps. But honestly I like listening to it with the stock amp/Dac chip set 

my point being any noise in the amp, is well amplified an sent into the out put. So it would be a mix of things, too either way it's good to hear that the PC gives you a ground 

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #1,525 of 3,354
either way, let me ask you this. How do you guys feel a Telefunken 1966 ECC 88 [6922] compares to the JJ ECC82 12ua7 I've got now? 

Also is this a 6V tube 

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #1,526 of 3,354
  either way, let me ask you this. How do you guys feel a Telefunken 1966 ECC 88 [6922] compares to the JJ ECC82 12ua7 I've got now? 

Also is this a 6V tube 

I've had bad luck with ECC88/6922 tubes in my Ember, most have a very slight channel imbalance, all of the ones I've tried are match pairs for my Lyr2 where there is no problem.  Tried my 4 different Telefunken CCa's (63's), a pair of Seimen's Lorenz, Sylvania Jan's, Mullards, and 68' Telefunken's, gave up after that

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #1,527 of 3,354

I've had bad luck with ECC88/6922 tubes in my Ember, most have a very slight channel imbalance, all of the ones I've tried are match pairs for my Lyr2 where there is no problem.  Tried my 4 different Telefunken CCa's (63's), a pair of Seimen's Lorenz, Sylvania Jan's, Mullards, and 68' Telefunken's, gave up after that

Hmm that's good to know! 

I'm looking for a REALLY transparent tube, Ideally I want an Expansive Sound Stage with as much detail as I can get an percision. I really prefer "solid state" but I like the touch of warmth the JJ EC 88 adds into my Starlight, I liked the Sound of the 6N6P but not the... lack of sound stage it brought :/ 

I tried a Clear Top as well an it was... to bright :/ the bottom end was really weak an I wasn't really thrilled 

Jan 16, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #1,528 of 3,354
  Hmm that's good to know!

I'm looking for a REALLY transparent tube, Ideally I want an Expansive Sound Stage with as much detail as I can get an percision. I really prefer "solid state" but I like the touch of warmth the JJ EC 88 adds into my Starlight, I liked the Sound of the 6N6P but not the... lack of sound stage it brought :/

I tried a Clear Top as well an it was... to bright :/ the bottom end was really weak an I wasn't really thrilled

Maybe one of the others on this thread can help you better than me, I've basically settled for just 12AU7, 12AX7 and a few 6SN7 tubes, haven't tried any of the exotic stuff like franken ember or such.  I've gotten really good results with the 12XXX series of tubes so putting money in other headphones and music seems like a better use of funds.  Among the 12XXX tubes are some of the re-issue one like Mullard and Tung Sol, cheap and easy to find, 12AU7 Telefunkens are really good but getting up there in price.

Jan 16, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #1,529 of 3,354
  Maybe one of the others on this thread can help you better than me, I've basically settled for just 12AU7, 12AX7 and a few 6SN7 tubes, haven't tried any of the exotic stuff like franken ember or such.  I've gotten really good results with the 12XXX series of tubes so putting money in other headphones and music seems like a better use of funds.  Among the 12XXX tubes are some of the re-issue one like Mullard and Tung Sol, cheap and easy to find, 12AU7 Telefunkens are really good but getting up there in price.

well I'm at the point now where I have like... 9 headphones? umm so yea... an I really like my LA D5k with the Starlight, so I might look around for a Telefunken 12UA7, as I hear the 6922s have a touch of channel imbalance in the single tube variants 

Jan 16, 2016 at 2:07 AM Post #1,530 of 3,354

Given that you were considering a Telefunken (which is a very expensive tube), why not give a go to one of the high-end 6N23P? They are not cheap, but cheaper than any Telefunken and they seem to bring what you are asking for. I have a pair and I really like them!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/702826/project-ember-tube-rolling/1470#post_12232620

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back