Project Ember Tube Rolling
Jan 16, 2016 at 6:57 AM Post #1,531 of 3,354
  Hmm that's good to know! 

I'm looking for a REALLY transparent tube, Ideally I want an Expansive Sound Stage with as much detail as I can get an percision. I really prefer "solid state" but I like the touch of warmth the JJ EC 88 adds into my Starlight, I liked the Sound of the 6N6P but not the... lack of sound stage it brought :/ 

I tried a Clear Top as well an it was... to bright :/ the bottom end was really weak an I wasn't really thrilled 

i've had very nice results with teslas before, and much cheaper than telefunken , something like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tesla-RFT-NOS-NIB-12au7-ECC82-tube-Test-NOS-/171019431290?hash=item27d18d6d7a:g:ZC8AAMXQt5ZRXoYI

Jan 16, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #1,532 of 3,354
  Hmm that's good to know! 

I'm looking for a REALLY transparent tube, Ideally I want an Expansive Sound Stage with as much detail as I can get an percision. I really prefer "solid state" but I like the touch of warmth the JJ EC 88 adds into my Starlight, I liked the Sound of the 6N6P but not the... lack of sound stage it brought :/ 

I tried a Clear Top as well an it was... to bright :/ the bottom end was really weak an I wasn't really thrilled 

Most transparent  9 pins I've experienced are Amperex 'Bugle Boy', GE 'Dark Glass', Tungsram and Tesla, all 6DJ8/ECC88 types. Tungsram E80CC is also very good, but has become very expensive-if you could find a reasonably priced one I would consider it as well.
The other alternative would be to change to an Octal, either twin triode or dual single triode. The latter would give you the biggest sound-stage of all, I would think.

Jan 16, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #1,533 of 3,354
Guys, the 6J5 to ECC88 adapter arrived! To avoid the big capacitors in the Ember, I have to turn it 90 deg.
Do you remember if one should turn clockwise or counter-clockwise?

EDIT: Ummm, I did the turn in the only direction that would not put extra tension on the cables. Just mounted the Visseaux, and...I get a very loud hum on both channels :frowning2:

Any ideas?

EDIT2: And although I requested a "matched pair" one channel is clearly stronger than the other :frowning2: It seems it did not go as good for me with Mr. Yitry.

Jan 16, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #1,534 of 3,354
  Guys, the 6J5 to ECC88 adapter arrived! To avoid the big capacitors in the Ember, I have to turn it 90 deg.

EDIT: Ummm, I did the turn in the only direction that would not put extra tension on the cables. Just mounted the Visseaux, and...I get a very loud hum on both channels :frowning2:

Any ideas?

EDIT2: And although I requested a "matched pair" one channel is clearly stronger than the other :frowning2: It seems it did not go as good for me with Mr. Yitry.

Try and pull the adapter out, and bend the pins on it slightly outwards. I had the same trouble with mine, but after I did that, and made sure it fit correct into the Ember again, it was gone. Don't judge the Visseaux until that hum is gone.

Jan 16, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #1,535 of 3,354

Any ideas?

Are you hearing any music and is the hum constant even if you waggle the tube and adapter a bit?

Jan 16, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #1,536 of 3,354
A grounding idea to solve the hum that I read on another thread was to take a thick 9 gauge wire: connect one end to either a capacitor of your Ember and the other to a pipe. His was connected to a large pipe in a nearby bathroom.

Or you can try connecting the wire to the '3rd' ground connection in an open slot in your power strip... that's right insert the wire right into a power strip (and grounded on the other side - just don't get 'grounded' for doing without asking if you're under age LOL) . This way, all components connected to the power strip will be grounded. But this method is mostly meant for if your home wiring is not grounded very well, or especially if you're using a cheat 3-to-2 connection to the wall without a ground connection.

Jan 16, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #1,537 of 3,354

Most transparent  9 pins I've experienced are Amperex 'Bugle Boy', GE 'Dark Glass', Tungsram and Tesla, all 6DJ8/ECC88 types. Tungsram E80CC is also very good, but has become very expensive-if you could find a reasonably priced one I would consider it as well.
The other alternative would be to change to an Octal, either twin triode or dual single triode. The latter would give you the biggest sound-stage of all, I would think.

Well I found a 1975 Grey Sheild Rocket Vockshod for $40, we will see how it sounds 
  Given that you were considering a Telefunken (which is a very expensive tube), why not give a go to one of the high-end 6N23P? They are not cheap, but cheaper than any Telefunken and they seem to bring what you are asking for. I have a pair and I really like them!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/702826/project-ember-tube-rolling/1470#post_12232620

Good luck!

i've had very nice results with teslas before, and much cheaper than telefunken , something like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tesla-RFT-NOS-NIB-12au7-ECC82-tube-Test-NOS-/171019431290?hash=item27d18d6d7a:g:ZC8AAMXQt5ZRXoYI

I picked up that one too 

I'll have to try those later down the line

but for now I grabbed what was hopefully a 1975 Vokshod Rocket Gray Sheild out of Europe <.< it'll be here febuary, but the Telsa that  @jaywillin was being sold state side, so I got it here by the 22nd for $25 

So we'll see how the $20 tube compares to the $40, all in all I spent around $75 for two tubes, which is what I was going to pay for one. So here's to hoping it sounds great! 

Ironically, the 6n23p I have sounded REALLY good in my Vali 2, but it has a little more noise in my Starlight Frankly... there's s almost tearing sound on the left channel when I adjust the volume. It's very faint [yes the bias is set on the channels] I also think the 6V tube is doing a better job with the High Gain Input from my Dac than the 12v series did... I went to using low gain on my Dac to try an cut the noise, as the high gain output can be a smidge noisy how ever it seems the 6n23P Reflektor I have... doesn't really add any noise on High Gain, that said though... I'm either noticing a lot more clicks an pops in this matter than I did before, 

Oh nope it's not the tube it's the track... sound stage wise though it is pretty good... so much so I think I'm going to just cancel that 12v order [I'll try a 12v Telefunken eventually for kicks an giggles] 

Either way, my second run with this Tube seems better than the first... it could be because I'm using High Gain into the tube, giving me more headroom on the amp, it could be that the tube is a smidge noisy but it sounds really nice. If anything I've gained some headroom 

Jan 16, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #1,538 of 3,354
@Mshenay

'but for now I grabbed what was hopefully a 1975 Vokshod Rocket Gray Sheild out of Europe'

I get quite confused with the Russian tubes-probably because I don't speak Russian. I may have tried that one but can't be sure. The thing I like about the Russian tubes I've used is they are well made and have always been reliable. 

Jan 16, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #1,539 of 3,354
  @Mshenay

'but for now I grabbed what was hopefully a 1975 Vokshod Rocket Gray Sheild out of Europe'

I get quite confused with the Russian tubes-probably because I don't speak Russian. I may have tried that one but can't be sure. The thing I like about the Russian tubes I've used is they are well made and have always been reliable. 

Well the order was in English, an the link Tunke Jazz Sent me had the 1975 Gray Shield Vokshod Rocket at the top of his list, so let's hope it was worth the $40 I spent on it

but more importantly I think I found a better sound with the 6N23P... it's... brings both increased noise when I change volume, but... less overall noise during listening. 

An the sound stage is pretty good, I've noticed a few new details that I didn't catch before so that's good! I find that the Bass is... good different! The extra touch of Decay in the bass is... so so for Double Bass, but GREAT for Drums! While I don't get as much texture in the double bass during the intro of Miles Davis's "So What," I do find that the drums have a nice touch of ENERGY an HURRAH! That the NFB10ES2 balanced out... doesn't have [because it has so little decay] So yea :D seems like the 6N23P is the tube for me

How ever, the extra decay in that double bass is nice during the middle of the song, when we've got the brass horns, drums, high hats an piano over top, so with every loss there is a gain it seems! An pretty Damn impressive for a $250 [ish] dollar Hybrid Tube to be comparing to my NFB10ES2 balanced out! 

an yea I like stuff from out of the Balkans as well ^^  

Jan 16, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #1,540 of 3,354
my first purchased tube for my new sunrise iii, i know it won't be my last

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221977116571?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Jan 16, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #1,542 of 3,354
Welcome to tube madness
biggrin.gif

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

oh i'm not new to tubes, i've had many tube amps, and i've spent waaaaaaaay to much on tubes, but i can't help it , i'm a tube junkie

Jan 16, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #1,543 of 3,354
  oh i'm not new to tubes, i've had many tube amps, and i've spent waaaaaaaay to much on tubes, but i can't help it , i'm a tube junkie

haha, it's funny I started out wanting a Telefunken an I wound up with a Vokshod, an then you go an buy a Telefunken xD

still I'm really impressed with the 6n23P I have... an I think the Vokshod might be a nice upgrade for me! I'll get around to grabbing a gold pin Telefunken one of these days

but I'm really impressed, this tube does really well with drums! Even my HM901/PB2 [Balanced out] doesn't bring the same level of ATTACK in the drums as the tube Combo does, an the HM 901 as a source is... a little more AGGRESSIVE than my NFB10ES2 

so yea, here's to hoping the new tube I get will give me just a touch more sound stage, a tighter bass an keep that really great ATTACK 

Jan 16, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #1,545 of 3,354
some of the voskhods and reflektors are as good as most any tube
these reflektors with the single wire getters are very nice

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6N23P-E88CC-6922-6DJ8-Matched-PAIR-REFLEKTOR-Single-Wire-Grey-ShieldPlate-/172052775329?hash=item280f2501a1:g:08kAAOSwyQtV5Znt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back