Project Ember Tube Rolling
Jan 17, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #1,561 of 3,354
so then let me ask this, what adapter to you use for Dual Tubes :D I actually purchased a pair of GE/Admiral 6SN7 GTAs they have the same code on the glass, an the same physical specs how ever the black bases are different, one's admiral the other is GE Eletronic 

Jan 17, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #1,562 of 3,354
i couldn't say when, or even if i've ever bought a new tube, i always go NOS

Jan 17, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #1,563 of 3,354
  I have the  EH, Tung-sol,  Ken-Rad Vt231, Sylvania vt231 and GTa-B and chrome top, Rca, both clear and grey glass, and of all IMHO the EH was the worst, of the bunch. Dry, flat not much to it for me, cheap as them come though for a new tube

I might [assuming the Two GTAs I got are the same, they measured very closely to one another, in addition to the physical resemblance. Though apparently GE made the tubes for Admiral either way it was a price for 2, that cost the same as the price some charge for one so I figured why not. Besides I liked teh add, test results were conceise no black spots near the top of the tube 

welp, $80 later I've got 4 tubes in bound, a Telefunken ECC 81 two GTA 6sn7 and a Vokshod Rocket 6n23p 1975 gray sheild 

How would I run a dual tube set into the single socket 

[size=medium]For sale I have a matched pair of ultra quiet GE 6SN7GTA vacuum tubes. Parallel gray plates, copper grid posts and side horseshoe getters these tubes were made just 13 weeks apart in 1954/55. Tubes carefully tested for transconductance, shorts, gas, life and leakage on world class testers.  No tube is sold that has any gas or leakage. Photo is of the actual tubes on auction. I take a great deal of pride in the honesty of my representation and the quality of my customer service. There will be no unwelcome surprises with my tubes....guaranteed.  [/size]
[size=medium]Test Results:[/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium]
  1. 2225/2200 and 2200/2125 gm (Triplett 3444)
  2. 78/77 and 81/76 (Cardmatic)
[/size] [size=medium]Minimum:[/size] [size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium]
  1. 1700/1700 gm (Triplett 3444)
[/size]

Jan 18, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #1,564 of 3,354
  From the notes of my previous careful comparisons, the GTA has just right treble whereas the GTB is borderlining piercing, more 'pleasing' bass definition especially for electronic & pop music, but maybe ever so slightly less punchy.

I wish I could still use my GTB - for some reason mine died on me recently, making some pulsating sound that couldn't be fixed. 

speaking of which, are you in the market for a GTB? Mine will be for sale here shortly, I'm thinking around $17 for it Shipped or something

an yea, your description was spot on! The sound stage on the GE 6SN7 was great, but my GTB had some very HOT highs, even more so than on my solid state 

I've got two GTAs in bound 

Jan 18, 2016 at 2:32 AM Post #1,566 of 3,354
I'm also, more or less, only using dual tube set-ups now.

However my two favourite 6SN7's are Sylvania  'Bad Boy' and Tung-Sol 'Round Plate'.

Maybe some of our differences in favourite tubes has much to do with the different types of music we listen to. I like mainly Classical and Jazz and I guess I'm in the minority.

Jan 18, 2016 at 2:49 AM Post #1,567 of 3,354
  so then let me ask this, what adapter to you use for Dual Tubes :D I actually purchased a pair of GE/Admiral 6SN7 GTAs they have the same code on the glass, an the same physical specs how ever the black bases are different, one's admiral the other is GE Eletronic 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1pc-Dual-6C8P-2C22-7193-CV6-CV3601-TO-6CG7-6FQ7-6DJ8-tube-converter-adapter-6-3V-/191552831342?hash=item2c99703f6e

AND

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1pc-Dual-6J5G-6C5G-VT-94-CV1932-L63-VR67-TO-ECC88-6922-tube-converter-adapter-/201458214762?hash=item2ee7d8676a:g:j5EA

Jan 18, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #1,568 of 3,354
  Thanks much for the offer Mshenay but I think I'll pass. After getting the Visseaux I'm not into rolling any more tubes in the Ember unless I get word of a really stealthy new one. Otherwise I'll be transitioning to another tube amp - the one you guys didn't believe me about

That amp was on my short list also.  I was ready to buy it or another kit, for about the same price, but heard Howiee13 and others about the Visseaux tubes, so decided to give the Ember one more shot.  I really like it now.  Picked up a pair of 700's and hp-50's as well, and the ember continues to impress. Don't use the 650's as much as I used too, did not see that coming, either.  So for now I am sitting tight, the Elise is well thought of.  If you do, post back here with a link to your thoughts on it.

Jan 18, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #1,569 of 3,354

what are those things on the first one the wirey doodads

though I may stick to single tubes till I move to the ember, I'm not sure I should roll duels into the starlight

also what's the voltage on the 6V6 Visseaux tubes, could I roll a single into the star light safely

Jan 18, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #1,570 of 3,354

though I may stick to single tubes till I move to the ember, I'm not sure I should roll duels into the starlight

also what's the voltage on the 6V6 Visseaux tubes, could I roll a single into the star light safely

The wires are to connect to the two metal terminals at the top of 7193/2C22 type tubes. In the Ember this setup is called FrankenEmber, so in the Vali it could be called FrankenVali

Starlight loves the dual single triode octal set up. You don't even have to turn the adapter round to avoid  large front capacitors as you have to do in Ember and Horizon.
Actually, my favourite set up for Starlight is with dual RCA 2C22 tubes. (7193 and 2C22 are similar tubes and sound the same to me).
I have never used 6V6 tubes. You would need to check with Jeremy about those..

EDIT: Showed the Vali because the photo was to hand to show the connections- now here's FrankenStarlight:

Jan 18, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #1,571 of 3,354

Those are called... from the Latin "wirealaioto doodatioums", which means to transform from Ember to Franken Ember.

Jan 18, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #1,572 of 3,354
  The wires are to connect to the two metal terminals at the top of 7193/2C22 type tubes. In the Ember this setup is called FrankenEmber, so in the Vali it could be called FrankenVali:-
Starlight loves the dual single triode octal set up. You don't even have to turn the adapter round to avoid  large front capacitors as you have to do in Ember and Horizon.
Actually, my favourite set up for Starlight is with dual RCA 2C22 tubes. (7193 and 2C22 are similar tubes and sound the same to me).
I have never used 6V6 tubes. You would need to check with Jeremy about those..

ugh I'll have to pick up an adapter then, I checked the ampage on the GE 6SN7 GTA an it was REALLY low, so apparently I can use two of them without any issue, only problem is I'm broke :/ I could try to get a return on my VokShod 1975 Rocket [which actually I might due seeing as the shipping date is SO DARN LONG] Chances are it's been too late so, we will see how it goes 

if he accepts it an allows for the cancellation I can use those funds to Purchase the Adapter an a Matched set of GE 6sn7 GTAs. I did a little more reaserach today an found that usually when two identical tubes are sold under different brands, it could be because one of them measured poorly, an was liqudated to another company. An other times it's just sold under a different name 

so we will see how the set of 6SNy GTAs I got sounds, as one is an Adrmial, but they both measured very well, I posted the numbers up here some where 

How does the Dual Set up compare to a single 12V 

Jan 18, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #1,573 of 3,354
  ugh I'll have to pick up an adapter then, I checked the ampage on the GE 6SN7 GTA an it was REALLY low, so apparently I can use two of them without any issue, only problem is I'm broke :/ I could try to get a return on my VokShod 1975 Rocket [which actually I might due seeing as the shipping date is SO DARN LONG] Chances are it's been too late so, we will see how it goes 

if he accepts it an allows for the cancellation I can use those funds to Purchase the Adapter an a Matched set of GE 6sn7 GTAs. I did a little more reaserach today an found that usually when two identical tubes are sold under different brands, it could be because one of them measured poorly, an was liqudated to another company. An other times it's just sold under a different name 

so we will see how the set of 6SNy GTAs I got sounds, as one is an Adrmial, but they both measured very well, I posted the numbers up here some where 

How does the Dual Set up compare to a single 12V 

The 6.3V and 12V refer to the heater voltages, nothing to do with the sound.
You don't put two 6SN7's into a dual adapter-the dual adapter is for single triodes-the 6SN7's are dual triodes and you only use one at a time.
Single triodes are like 7196 and 6J5, 6L5 etc. Essentially they are half a 6SN7, one for each channel-which is why they need the dual adapter.

Jan 18, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #1,574 of 3,354
  The 6.3V and 12V refer to the heater voltages, nothing to do with the sound.
You don't put two 6SN7's into a dual adapter-the dual adapter is for single triodes-the 6SN7's are dual triodes and you only use one at a time.
Single triodes are like 7196 and 6J5, 6L5 etc. Essentially they are half a 6SN7, one for each channel-which is why they need the dual adapter.

Ahh well see there thats why I ask you guys

an no I didn't mean the 6.3 or 12v, I meant I pulled out spec sheets from the manufactor to see what teh Current Draw of each is, as I understand that the Starlight can only handle up to  like 1000mA 

Jan 18, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #1,575 of 3,354
  Ahh well see there thats why I ask you guys

an no I didn't mean the 6.3 or 12v, I meant I pulled out spec sheets from the manufactor to see what teh Current Draw of each is, as I understand that the Starlight can only handle up to  like 1000mA 

It's cool. The single triodes draw 300mA each, so two of them are the equivalent of the single 600ma 6SN7. No problem for Starlight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back